AN8 and unknown peripherals in device manager

Tags:
  • Peripherals
  • Device Manager
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 12:47:55 AM

Hi all.
I am finding in device manager some unknown peripherals with a yellow
exclamation mark.
OS is win xp pro sp1 freshly installed on an AN8 brand new mobo.
Upgrading the bios as well as applying SP2 did not help.

The unknown peripherals appear under the Non Plug and Play Drivers section
of device manager and are called Serial and Parport service.
They have error code 24 (not present or not working device or missing
drivers)
The Parport service appeared after rebooting in safe mode and did not go
away anymore.
Safe mode rebooting solves the problem but only as long as I don't boot
normally.
Googling around showed me very old posts of same sort but I do not
understand what I should do.
Can anyone help?
As any of you encountered the same problem?

TIA,
Stefano

More about : an8 unknown peripherals device manager

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 12:47:56 AM

"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
news:D 9730s$1f1l$1@newsreader2.mclink.it...
> Hi all.
> I am finding in device manager some unknown peripherals with a yellow
> exclamation mark.
> OS is win xp pro sp1 freshly installed on an AN8 brand new mobo.
> Upgrading the bios as well as applying SP2 did not help.
>
> The unknown peripherals appear under the Non Plug and Play Drivers section
> of device manager and are called Serial and Parport service.
> They have error code 24 (not present or not working device or missing
> drivers)
> The Parport service appeared after rebooting in safe mode and did not go
> away anymore.
> Safe mode rebooting solves the problem but only as long as I don't boot
> normally.
> Googling around showed me very old posts of same sort but I do not
> understand what I should do.
> Can anyone help?
> As any of you encountered the same problem?

Sounds like some devices don't have drivers, or possibly, incorrect drivers,
installed, to me. Have you checked to see if you have full use of *all*
peripherals and connected devices? :\
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 2:04:46 AM

"Slitheen" <slitheen@nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
> news:D 9730s$1f1l$1@newsreader2.mclink.it...
>
> Sounds like some devices don't have drivers, or possibly, incorrect
> drivers, installed, to me. Have you checked to see if you have full use of
> *all* peripherals and connected devices? :\
Well, that's what I supposed either.
But the only device I did not fully install was the graphic card: I
installed the nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com instead of the original
drivers from Asus and I am still missing the Asus Enhanced driver for the
video card (EN6600 GT). But I do not think it matters.
Asus drivers are not available for download for busy servers, today.
Anyway, the mentioned Non Plug and Play Drivers sound as Serial.sys and
Parport.sys drivers...maybe they are related to serial and parallel ports,
that are not present on AN8.

Stefano
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 2:04:47 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:04:46 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:

> Anyway, the mentioned Non Plug and Play Drivers sound as Serial.sys and
> Parport.sys drivers...maybe they are related to serial and parallel ports,
> that are not present on AN8.

Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.

a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 3:17:34 AM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:p an.2005.06.20.21.03.17.659127@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:04:46 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:
>
>> Anyway, the mentioned Non Plug and Play Drivers sound as Serial.sys and
>> Parport.sys drivers...maybe they are related to serial and parallel
>> ports,
>> that are not present on AN8.
>>

> Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.

Well...as parallel and serial ports aren't present on the AN8...what the
hell windows xp is doing with them?
I mean, why are they detected if not present?

Stefano
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 3:17:35 AM

Very strange. I don't have this board, but I've turned off (in the BIOS)
all serial and parallel ports on other boards, and they don't appear in
device manager.

Regards,

Margaret

"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
news:D 97bpg$2qfu$1@newsreader1.mclink.it...

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:p an.2005.06.20.21.03.17.659127@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:04:46 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the mentioned Non Plug and Play Drivers sound as Serial.sys and
>>> Parport.sys drivers...maybe they are related to serial and parallel
>>> ports,
>>> that are not present on AN8.
>>>

>> Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.
>>
> Well...as parallel and serial ports aren't present on the AN8...what the
> hell windows xp is doing with them?
> I mean, why are they detected if not present?
>
> Stefano

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 9:37:07 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:17:34 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:p an.2005.06.20.21.03.17.659127@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:04:46 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the mentioned Non Plug and Play Drivers sound as Serial.sys and
>>> Parport.sys drivers...maybe they are related to serial and parallel
>>> ports,
>>> that are not present on AN8.
>>>

>> Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.
>>
> Well...as parallel and serial ports aren't present on the AN8...what the
> hell windows xp is doing with them?
> I mean, why are they detected if not present?

I don't run Win and don't have thism board, so for a wag I'd say they may
still see them in the chipset. They are there afaik, just not pinned out
to connectors.

a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 10:03:22 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:37:07 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:17:34 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:

>> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:p an.2005.06.20.21.03.17.659127@TAKEOUTverizon.net...

>>> Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.

>> Well...as parallel and serial ports aren't present on the AN8...what the
>> hell windows xp is doing with them?
>> I mean, why are they detected if not present?

>I don't run Win and don't have this board, so for a wag I'd say they may
>still see them in the chipset. They are there afaik, just not pinned out
>to connectors.

Because the O/S loads them in a very specific ' boot order ', so :

Delete em from Device Manager
Switch em off in BIOS
Re-boot & solved !

Parport.sys - Parallel arbitrator - Parallel port support
Serial.sys - Extended base - Serial port driver
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 3:43:00 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:29:27 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>Very strange. I don't have this board, but I've turned off (in the BIOS)
>all serial and parallel ports on other boards, and they don't appear in
>device manager.
>
>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>
>"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
>news:D 97bpg$2qfu$1@newsreader1.mclink.it...
>>
>> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:p an.2005.06.20.21.03.17.659127@TAKEOUTverizon.net...

>>> Exactly. Don't worry about them, or delete them from device mgr.
>>>
>> Well...as parallel and serial ports aren't present on the AN8...what the
>> hell windows xp is doing with them?
>> I mean, why are they detected if not present?
>>
>> Stefano

He's obviously using W2K or XP and has selected View -> Show hidden
devices in Device Manager.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 3:43:01 AM

Yup, you're right. I just turned on "show hidden devices," and sure enough
serial and parallel ports showed up under non-plug & play devices with
yellow exclamation points.

Regards,

Margaret

"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
> He's obviously using W2K or XP and has selected View -> Show hidden
> devices in Device Manager.
>
> Patrick
>
> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 8:28:51 AM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message...
> I don't run Win and don't have thism board, so for a wag I'd say they
> may still see them in the chipset. They are there afaik, just not pinned
> out to connectors.

That is likely to be largely correct. In most cases Abit still uses SuperIO
chips that still have serial and parallel port hardware built into them.
However, as you say, they're not terminated out to connectors and are
basically lying there useless. Even though they're disabled in the BIOS
Windows will still try and preload drivers for them.

In most of these cases you can edit the BIOS using an editor and reactivate
the ports. Indeed, I'm actually thinking of soldering up to the pins on the
I/O chip on my IC7 Max3 and making the parallel and one of the serial ports
active, as ironically I've now got uses for both of em...
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 2:38:22 AM

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> That is likely to be largely correct. In most cases Abit still uses
> SuperIO chips that still have serial and parallel port hardware built into
> them. However, as you say, they're not terminated out to connectors and
> are basically lying there useless. Even though they're disabled in the
> BIOS Windows will still try and preload drivers for them.

Thanks guys for your help.
Yes, indeed I am using Win Xp Pro sp2. Well, at least now I know my board is
not defective.
So, if I argue correctly, the whole problem is due to existing circuitry not
supported by a real connector and this is why windows detects the ports and
tries to install the drivers.

Am I right?

Stefano
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 2:38:23 AM

Go into device manager and un-check "Show hidden devices." You'll no longer
see these devices. This was discussed in an earlier post. I doubt Windows
XP is trying to install drivers. It's merely noting there's a device there
without a driver. If you actually turned on the device in your BIOS,
Windows would detect and install a driver. And it would appear as an
installed device even with "Show hidden devices" turned off.

Regards,

Margaret

news:D 9ci80$lhd$1@newsreader1.mclink.it...

!