unable to install Win2k on KV7-V

Hi all,

I'm unable to install Win2000 Pro on a just-built KV7-V v1.0 with Athlon
XP2900+ and 512 MB of Ultra 400 MHz DDR RAM. Trying to do a clean install
from the CD, the files get copied, and when the msg says Starting Windows
2000, the HDD shuts down, followed a few seconds later by computer
powerdown.

I was able to install WinME without a hitch, and from within WinME all the
hardware appears to be normal, as is the OS. When I try to upgrade to Win2k
from within ME, the computer copies the files and then shuts down at
precisely the same point - when it's trying to start Win2k.

I'm using an IDE HDD, not the SATA controller. I've tried enabling and
disabling SATA in BIOS, without luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about unable install win2k

    You may need to use a slipstreamed version of Win2000 that has service
    pack 4 on it. Don't know why this is needed but I had a simular
    problem installing 2000 and this was my only way out.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:40:28 -0400, "Peter Ting" <pmting@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm unable to install Win2000 Pro on a just-built KV7-V v1.0 with Athlon
    >XP2900+ and 512 MB of Ultra 400 MHz DDR RAM. Trying to do a clean install
    >from the CD, the files get copied, and when the msg says Starting Windows
    >2000, the HDD shuts down, followed a few seconds later by computer
    >powerdown.
    >
    >I was able to install WinME without a hitch, and from within WinME all the
    >hardware appears to be normal, as is the OS. When I try to upgrade to Win2k
    >from within ME, the computer copies the files and then shuts down at
    >precisely the same point - when it's trying to start Win2k.
    >
    >I'm using an IDE HDD, not the SATA controller. I've tried enabling and
    >disabling SATA in BIOS, without luck.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I have Win2k Pro with SP4, but that wasn't the problem, which turned out to
    be the HDD jumpers.

    I had C: and D: HDDs on Master and Slave on IDE0, and both drives were
    correctly recognized by the computer, and they worked fine (under ME),
    except I couldn't install Win2k. When I moved the jumpers from Master and
    Slave to Cable Select, everything worked fine. For some reason, the
    motherboard preferred the CS setting.

Hard Drives Motherboards