unable to install Win2k on KV7-V

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 7:40:28 PM

Hi all,

I'm unable to install Win2000 Pro on a just-built KV7-V v1.0 with Athlon
XP2900+ and 512 MB of Ultra 400 MHz DDR RAM. Trying to do a clean install
from the CD, the files get copied, and when the msg says Starting Windows
2000, the HDD shuts down, followed a few seconds later by computer
powerdown.

I was able to install WinME without a hitch, and from within WinME all the
hardware appears to be normal, as is the OS. When I try to upgrade to Win2k
from within ME, the computer copies the files and then shuts down at
precisely the same point - when it's trying to start Win2k.

I'm using an IDE HDD, not the SATA controller. I've tried enabling and
disabling SATA in BIOS, without luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 10:57:07 AM

You may need to use a slipstreamed version of Win2000 that has service
pack 4 on it. Don't know why this is needed but I had a simular
problem installing 2000 and this was my only way out.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:40:28 -0400, "Peter Ting" <pmting@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm unable to install Win2000 Pro on a just-built KV7-V v1.0 with Athlon
>XP2900+ and 512 MB of Ultra 400 MHz DDR RAM. Trying to do a clean install
>from the CD, the files get copied, and when the msg says Starting Windows
>2000, the HDD shuts down, followed a few seconds later by computer
>powerdown.
>
>I was able to install WinME without a hitch, and from within WinME all the
>hardware appears to be normal, as is the OS. When I try to upgrade to Win2k
>from within ME, the computer copies the files and then shuts down at
>precisely the same point - when it's trying to start Win2k.
>
>I'm using an IDE HDD, not the SATA controller. I've tried enabling and
>disabling SATA in BIOS, without luck.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 1:05:01 AM

I have Win2k Pro with SP4, but that wasn't the problem, which turned out to
be the HDD jumpers.

I had C: and D: HDDs on Master and Slave on IDE0, and both drives were
correctly recognized by the computer, and they worked fine (under ME),
except I couldn't install Win2k. When I moved the jumpers from Master and
Slave to Cable Select, everything worked fine. For some reason, the
motherboard preferred the CS setting.
!