200Gb Drive

April 13, 2004 6:37:29 AM

I have added a 200Gb drive to my system which is using an
AWARD V6.00PG BIOS V1.0H.

I am only able to see 131Gb even using Partition Magic 7.

Is there a fix for this lost disk space?

Thanks

Kennyboy

More about : 200gb drive

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:04:35 PM

Kennyboy wrote:
> I have added a 200Gb drive to my system which is using an
> AWARD V6.00PG BIOS V1.0H.
>
> I am only able to see 131Gb even using Partition Magic 7.
>
> Is there a fix for this lost disk space?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kennyboy

PM7 isn't able to work with partitions bigger than 160GB - you will need to
upgrade to PM8. Have you installed SP1?

PM8 is the only version that's fully XP-compatible. How is the drive
formatted?
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:04:36 PM

In article <407bc944$1_5@127.0.0.1>, Cerridwen <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote:
>Kennyboy wrote:
>> I have added a 200Gb drive to my system which is using an
>> AWARD V6.00PG BIOS V1.0H.
>>
>> I am only able to see 131Gb even using Partition Magic 7.
>>
>> Is there a fix for this lost disk space?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kennyboy
>
>PM7 isn't able to work with partitions bigger than 160GB - you will need to
>upgrade to PM8. Have you installed SP1?
>
>PM8 is the only version that's fully XP-compatible. How is the drive
>formatted?

FWIW;

I put a 160GB SATA drive in a w2k machine with a A7N8X-deluxe mobo.

w2k saw the drive but it wouldn't partition or format. (It wasn't the
boot/OS drive). Somewhat by accident I found that Acronis Trueimage
backup software could.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

System Commander Rescue Disk can be a way to go
Jack

"Kennyboy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
???????:1bc4701c4213a$f03e96f0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I have added a 200Gb drive to my system which is using an
> AWARD V6.00PG BIOS V1.0H.
>
> I am only able to see 131Gb even using Partition Magic 7.
>
> Is there a fix for this lost disk space?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kennyboy
April 13, 2004 9:43:36 PM

Maxtor Suggest:
Solution
Currently, there are three options to remedy the 137 Gigabyte barrier. Failure to implement one of the following installation options will result in data loss when trying to access the hard disk beyond 137 Gigabytes.

Installation Option 1. Upgrade the operating system to either Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (or newer) or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (or newer) and download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler software patch. The Maxtor Big Drive Enabler, once executed, will update the Windows registry for large drive support.

Installation Option 2. Download and install the Intel Application accelerator. The Intel Application Accelerator provides 48-Bit LBA compliant ATA/ATAPI controller drivers (IntelATA.mpd) and replaces the Windows 98/Me, 2000 and XP ATA controller drivers (ESDI_506.PDR). Intel is the only chipset manufacturer that we are aware of that offers a compatible controller driver for Windows .

The Intel Application Accelerator only supports the following chipsets: 810, 810E, 810E2, 810L, 815, 815EP, 815G, 815EG, 815P, 820, 820E, 840, 845, 845E, 845G, 845GE, 845GL, 845GV, 845PE, 850, 850E, 860. The Intel Application Accelerator can be obtained at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/. If you have an unsupported chipset or do not want to upgrade the operating system then try the next solution.

Installation Option 3: Attach the large hard drive to an add-in Ultra ATA PCI adapter card with a 48-Bit LBA compliant BIOS and controller driver. The adapter card bypasses the system BIOS and operating system’s controller driver and uses its own BIOS and controller driver.

Using an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller that has a 48-Bit LBA compatible controller driver will allow safe use of large drives beyond the previous limits of 137 GB capacity. Additional controllers that do not have 48-Bit compliant drivers cannot safely access drives larger than 137 GB. A compatible card such as the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI for Windows and Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 PCI Card for MACs can be purchased at http://www.maxstore.com (U.S. only) or at a local retailer.
April 14, 2004 4:55:19 PM

Just create 2 x 100GB partitions...

!