Are the current SATA drives really faster than IDE drives today? I do a lot
of video editing and was considering adding a SATA drive for my video.

bar

SATA Advantages:

Improved command set for better data integrity
Performance increase from 133 to 150MB/s maximum external (burst) data transfer rate
Buffer cache increase from 0 or 2Mb to 8Mb
Seek time reduce from <10.0ms to <9ms
Thin cables for easy routing and improved cooling inside a PC chassis or JBOD box
Maximum cable length increases to 1 metre for increased design and layout flexibility in a system
Connectors designed for blind mate and hot plug
Reduced pin count enables RAID scalability

They do use a little more power, generate more noise and heat but not in any significant measure.
Backward compatible with existing parallel ATA software and drivers

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 05:06:03 -0700, BAR

>SATA Advantages:

Some of these are NOT inherent in S-ATA itself.

>Improved command set for better data integrity

Reference? I'm not disputing that, but I'd like more detail!

>Performance increase from 133 to 150MB/s maximum external (burst) data transfer rate

Note that the gain may be curbed by PCI limitations, unless your S-ATA
controller connects to the system "above" the PCI.

>Buffer cache increase from 0 or 2Mb to 8Mb

That's not an S-ATA thing; you can get 8M cache on alternate models of
pre-S-ATA hard drives also.

>Seek time reduce from <10.0ms to <9ms

Also sounds more like a per-model thing. I suspect the same hi-end
drive chassis are used for boht pre-S-ATA and S-ATA models.

>Thin cables for easy routing and improved cooling inside a PC chassis or JBOD box
>Maximum cable length increases to 1 metre for increased design and layout flexibility in a system
>Connectors designed for blind mate and hot plug

Caveat: Must use true S-ATA power connectors for this to be safe.
Many S-ATA HDs have both legacy and S-ATA power connectors; never use
both at the same time, and don't hot-swap if using the legacy one.

>Reduced pin count enables RAID scalability

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.

Kent McPherson wrote:
> Are the current SATA drives really faster than IDE drives today? I do a lot
> of video editing and was considering adding a SATA drive for my video.

Yes - but it has nothing to do with the SATA/PATA bus. There are
some SATA HDs which spin at 10K RPM, while the fastest PATA HDs
are 7200 RPM. And higher RPM means shorter access times.

TANSTAAFL: 10K RPM HDs do cost more than 7200 RPM HDs.
--
Cheers, Bob

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

"Kent McPherson" wrote:

> Are the current SATA drives really faster than IDE drives today? I do a lot
> of video editing and was considering adding a SATA drive for my video.

This is late...but i'm going to throw this out there anyway. The only S-ata drives that outperform the ata 7200 2mb cache (or 8mb) drives currently out there are the 10k drives. Check out Tomshardware, search 'sata'.

I imagine the technology will improve to where it overtakes the ATA field by a small degree, just because of the increased max bandwidth.