BW7-RAID - HPT370 controller

Hello,

I recently bought a new and original packed Abit BW7-RAID. I installed
Windows XP Professional SP2 and it works like a charm. Today I wanted to
install two additional harddrives to the onboard Hpt370 RAID controller. I
downloaded the newest BIOS and driver from the Abit website [
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=73 ], the
flash works with no problems, I reseted the CMOS and reconfigured it
properly. I set up the Raid with the Highpoint setup utility with no
problem.

Unfortunately, while trying to install the drivers for Windows XP, the
install ended with an error that some lines in the inf file are wrong and
the driver wasn't installed.

Is there any known opportunity to bring the onboard raid controller to work
under Windows XP SP2?

thanks in advance

hiro

"Hiro Protagonist" <look@reply.to> wrote in message
> I downloaded the newest BIOS and driver from the Abit website
> Unfortunately, while trying to install the drivers for Windows XP,
> the install ended with an error that some lines in the inf file are
> wrong and the driver wasn't installed.

To be honest you're in a less than ideal situation with the Highpoint BIOS
and drivers, as the BIOS update you've just installed includes the 2.0.1024
Highpoint ROM. To use the 2.34 drivers, you really need the matching 2.34
ROM.

Anyway, the above notwithstanding, the drivers you've downloaded *should*
install and run without issue. If they don't, try downloading them from
Highpoint (www.highpoint-tech.com) themselves, as Abit's file may be broken.

> Is there any known opportunity to bring the onboard raid controller
> to work under Windows XP SP2?

Yeah it should work without any problems.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

FLINTSTONE

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001

I had a similar board and had many problems with corrupt files in XP
but found that changing the P2P Discard time to 1 fixed the issue.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

just a driver issue with how the files are on the floppy, probably. make
sure you have a good download of the drivers, then be sure you have
extracted the files with the paths intact and for good measure, even extract
them to the root of the floppy without paths as well so the files exist with
and without paths. that usually does the trick.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Hiro Protagonist" <look@reply.to> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a new and original packed Abit BW7-RAID. I installed
> Windows XP Professional SP2 and it works like a charm. Today I wanted to
> install two additional harddrives to the onboard Hpt370 RAID controller. I
> downloaded the newest BIOS and driver from the Abit website [
> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=73 ],
> the flash works with no problems, I reseted the CMOS and reconfigured it
> properly. I set up the Raid with the Highpoint setup utility with no
> problem.
>
> Unfortunately, while trying to install the drivers for Windows XP, the
> install ended with an error that some lines in the inf file are wrong and
> the driver wasn't installed.
>
> Is there any known opportunity to bring the onboard raid controller to
> work under Windows XP SP2?
>

> thanks in advance
>
> hiro

Hello,

Richard Hopkins wrote:
> To be honest you're in a less than ideal situation with the Highpoint
> BIOS and drivers, as the BIOS update you've just installed includes
> the 2.0.1024 Highpoint ROM. To use the 2.34 drivers, you really need
> the matching 2.34 ROM.

Okay, to outnumber this as an issue I've downloaded an BIOS three revisions
"older", but the first one with another ROM: 2.31. Additional I downloaded
the matching drivers from the Highpoint website.

Same error message.

>> Is there any known opportunity to bring the onboard raid controller
>> to work under Windows XP SP2?
>
> Yeah it should work without any problems.

.... make me hope it will work sometime. I read in some posts, which I found
with googlegroups, that for this special error message there is only one
cure: a repair-installation with F6 and the drivers from disk. It was for
other mainboards, but with the Hpt370 raid chip onboard and a similar error
message (first in german, than "my" translation):

Während der Geräteinstallation ist ein Fehler aufgetreten:
In der Treiberinstallationsdatei fehlt ein erforderlicher Eintrag.
Möglicherweise ist die INF-Datei für Windows 95 oder höher bestimmt. Wenden
Sie sich an den Hardwarehersteller.

The hardware for this device cannot be installed. The driver installation
file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the
INF file was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact the hardware vendor.

I _really_ don't like to do it that way, seems to me a great potential of
other problems in the future with existing installations of hard- and
software.

....today in the morning I started this postingand was interrupted until now.
But I searched again and found another opportunity: manual driver
installation. If someone out there wants to try it himself, here is my path:

First, the driver installation failed and there is the warningssign at the
massstoragecontroller.
- start the Hardwarewizard and let him search for new hardware. Nothing to
find, click next.
- choose that the hardware is already installed, click next.
- choose add new hardware, click next.
- choose to list hardware and choose manual, click next.
- choose scsi- and raid-controller, click next.
- choose have disk and go to where you stored the drivers, follow the
instructions... and reboot.
- after reboot open the device manager and maybe you found two Hpt370
devices, delete the one which has the yellow warning sign

tadaa! I can access my devices!

thanks for your advice and making me hoping again!

hiro

Hi!

Flintstone wrote:
> I had a similar board and had many problems with corrupt files in XP
> but found that changing the P2P Discard time to 1 fixed the issue.

....please explain what you mean with P2P Discard Time, I've no idea what it
means.

tia, Hiro

Hi,

TomG wrote:
> just a driver issue with how the files are on the floppy, probably. make
> sure you have a good download of the drivers, then be sure you
> have extracted the files with the paths intact and for good measure,
> even extract them to the root of the floppy without paths as well so
> the files exist with and without paths. that usually does the trick.

Unfortunately it doesn't help. The download comes as an compressed file and
the check (I use WinRAR for it) proved the data is correct downloaded.

And I've tried to install from different locations, neither the floopy nor
the hdd or putting all data in one path had changed the errormessage at the
end.

But finaly I found a way to bring it to work, i described it in my answer to
Richard.

thanks for your interest

cu, Hiro

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

wow! good job on the manual installation!

--

> Hello,
>
> Richard Hopkins wrote:
>> To be honest you're in a less than ideal situation with the Highpoint
>> BIOS and drivers, as the BIOS update you've just installed includes
>> the 2.0.1024 Highpoint ROM. To use the 2.34 drivers, you really need
>> the matching 2.34 ROM.
>
> Okay, to outnumber this as an issue I've downloaded an BIOS three
> revisions
> "older", but the first one with another ROM: 2.31. Additional I downloaded
> the matching drivers from the Highpoint website.
>
> Same error message.
>

>>> Is there any known opportunity to bring the onboard raid controller
>>> to work under Windows XP SP2?
>>
>> Yeah it should work without any problems.
>
> ... make me hope it will work sometime. I read in some posts, which I
> found
> with googlegroups, that for this special error message there is only one
> cure: a repair-installation with F6 and the drivers from disk. It was for
> other mainboards, but with the Hpt370 raid chip onboard and a similar
> error
> message (first in german, than "my" translation):
>
> Während der Geräteinstallation ist ein Fehler aufgetreten:
> In der Treiberinstallationsdatei fehlt ein erforderlicher Eintrag.
> Möglicherweise ist die INF-Datei für Windows 95 oder höher bestimmt.
> Wenden
> Sie sich an den Hardwarehersteller.
>

> The hardware for this device cannot be installed. The driver installation
> file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the
> INF file was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact the hardware vendor.
>
> I _really_ don't like to do it that way, seems to me a great potential of
> other problems in the future with existing installations of hard- and
> software.
>

> ...today in the morning I started this postingand was interrupted until
> now. But I searched again and found another opportunity: manual driver
> installation. If someone out there wants to try it himself, here is my
> path:
>
> First, the driver installation failed and there is the warningssign at the
> massstoragecontroller.
> - start the Hardwarewizard and let him search for new hardware. Nothing to
> find, click next.
> - choose that the hardware is already installed, click next.
> - choose add new hardware, click next.
> - choose to list hardware and choose manual, click next.
> - choose scsi- and raid-controller, click next.
> - choose have disk and go to where you stored the drivers, follow the
> instructions... and reboot.
> - after reboot open the device manager and maybe you found two Hpt370
> devices, delete the one which has the yellow warning sign
>
> tadaa! I can access my devices!
>
> thanks for your advice and making me hoping again!
>
> hiro

TRENDING THREADS