Hard Drive Advice

I'm looking into purchasing a new hard drive.

My current 9.55 GB 5,400 RPM drive barely meets my needs anymore.

I want to select a hard drive with a high RPM. I'm guessing that using
a hard drive with a higher RPM will improve performance. 10,000 RPM to
15,000 RPM would be my choice, but I've been advised that it may be
"overkill."

I use my computer for the Internet, some demanding games, and for
several miscellaneous applications that run at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice to offer?
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive advice

    Consider purchasing either a Western Digital or Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drive
    with 8MB cache. The 10-15,000 RPM drives are a little faster, but they are quite noisy,
    and tend to run hot.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Shane Steinmetz" <revieweroftime{REMOVETHIS}@silverinterlocution.org> wrote in message:

    | I'm looking into purchasing a new hard drive.
    |
    | My current 9.55 GB 5,400 RPM drive barely meets my needs anymore.
    |
    | I want to select a hard drive with a high RPM. I'm guessing that using
    | a hard drive with a higher RPM will improve performance. 10,000 RPM to
    | 15,000 RPM would be my choice, but I've been advised that it may be
    | "overkill."
    |
    | I use my computer for the Internet, some demanding games, and for
    | several miscellaneous applications that run at the same time.
    |
    | Does anyone have any advice to offer?

    Alright. I'll look into it.

    How severely does the RPM of a hard drive affect performance? Do you
    think that there is a noticeable difference between a 5,400 RPM hard disk
    and a 7,200 RPM hard disk?

    Thank you for your advice! :-)

    Shane Steinmetz

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Consider purchasing either a Western Digital or Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drive
    > with 8MB cache. The 10-15,000 RPM drives are a little faster, but they
    are quite noisy,
    > and tend to run hot.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    > "Shane Steinmetz" <revieweroftime{REMOVETHIS}@silverinterlocution.org>
    wrote in message:

    > | I'm looking into purchasing a new hard drive.
    > |
    > | My current 9.55 GB 5,400 RPM drive barely meets my needs anymore.
    > |
    > | I want to select a hard drive with a high RPM. I'm guessing that
    using
    > | a hard drive with a higher RPM will improve performance. 10,000 RPM to
    > | 15,000 RPM would be my choice, but I've been advised that it may be
    > | "overkill."
    > |
    > | I use my computer for the Internet, some demanding games, and for
    > | several miscellaneous applications that run at the same time.
    > |
    > | Does anyone have any advice to offer?

    Yes, the faster drive RPM generally means that data can be
    read/written to the drive faster. The difference can be
    noticeably faster, nearly 40% faster. Also the newer drives
    with 8 MB buffers and denser data on the platters makes the
    drives faster. Laptop hard drives are usually slower in
    order to save power. You should read the spec sheet for the
    drives, average seek time, and other data can be compared.

    In my personal experience, I updated an older desktop with a
    5-1/4 inch 3600 RPM drive to a 3-1/2 in 5400 inch drive and
    boot up was very noticeably faster.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    in message news:OughSOYIEHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | Alright. I'll look into it.
    |
    | How severely does the RPM of a hard drive affect
    performance? Do you
    | think that there is a noticeable difference between a
    5,400 RPM hard disk
    | and a 7,200 RPM hard disk?
    |
    | Thank you for your advice! :-)
    |
    | Shane Steinmetz
    |
    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in
    message
    | > Consider purchasing either a Western Digital or Maxtor
    7200 RPM hard drive
    | > with 8MB cache. The 10-15,000 RPM drives are a little
    faster, but they
    | are quite noisy,
    | > and tend to run hot.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | >
    | > Be Smart! Protect your PC!
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    ----------------
    | -------------------------------------------
    | >
    | > "Shane Steinmetz"
    <revieweroftime{REMOVETHIS}@silverinterlocution.org>
    | wrote in message:
    | >
    | > | I'm looking into purchasing a new hard drive.
    | > |
    | > | My current 9.55 GB 5,400 RPM drive barely meets my
    needs anymore.
    | > |
    | > | I want to select a hard drive with a high RPM. I'm
    guessing that
    | using
    | > | a hard drive with a higher RPM will improve
    performance. 10,000 RPM to
    | > | 15,000 RPM would be my choice, but I've been advised
    that it may be
    | > | "overkill."
    | > |
    | > | I use my computer for the Internet, some demanding
    games, and for
    | > | several miscellaneous applications that run at the
    same time.
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone have any advice to offer?
    | > |
    | > |

    I agree....

    The 7200RPM 40/80/120GB ATA100/133 drives are fast enough for your
    applications and are priced very well right now. Make sure you get a 8MB
    cache buffer instead of the 2MB.

    I recommend Maxtor/Seagate/Western Digital in that order. Maxtor and
    Seagate are just as fast but are quieter.

    "Shane Steinmetz" <revieweroftime{REMOVETHIS}@silverinterlocution.org> wrote
    in message news:OELaC$VIEHA.964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > I'm looking into purchasing a new hard drive.
    >
    > My current 9.55 GB 5,400 RPM drive barely meets my needs anymore.
    >
    > I want to select a hard drive with a high RPM. I'm guessing that
    using
    > a hard drive with a higher RPM will improve performance. 10,000 RPM to
    > 15,000 RPM would be my choice, but I've been advised that it may be
    > "overkill."
    >
    > I use my computer for the Internet, some demanding games, and for
    > several miscellaneous applications that run at the same time.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP Product