IC7-G CPU Fan Speed

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

Of late I have noticed that when I run by system hard and the CPU
heats up, The CPU fan does not go to full speed mode like it use to.
I use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor the CPU temps which has worked
fine in the past. I have lowered the temp for the fan to go to full
speed mode in the Bios and still no change. If I lower the temo low 45
or so, it starts out in high speed mode and will not shift down when
the CPU goes to 39. Put it hack to 50 to 55 and it starts out in low
speed mode and will not shift up. I have tried 60% and 70% speed and
the low speed is different as expected. Seems like after boot up the
info never gets to what it is that chances the fan speed setting.

Any ideas.
Gary

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that issue
with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high speed if
you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you want to run it
that way but just a reference question to see if the full speed works...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Of late I have noticed that when I run by system hard and the CPU
> heats up, The CPU fan does not go to full speed mode like it use to.
> I use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor the CPU temps which has worked
> fine in the past. I have lowered the temp for the fan to go to full
> speed mode in the Bios and still no change. If I lower the temo low 45
> or so, it starts out in high speed mode and will not shift down when
> the CPU goes to 39. Put it hack to 50 to 55 and it starts out in low
> speed mode and will not shift up. I have tried 60% and 70% speed and
> the low speed is different as expected. Seems like after boot up the
> info never gets to what it is that chances the fan speed setting.
>
> Any ideas.
> Gary

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
such...

--

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that
> issue with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high
> speed if you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you want
> to run it that way but just a reference question to see if the full speed
> works...
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Of late I have noticed that when I run by system hard and the CPU
>> heats up, The CPU fan does not go to full speed mode like it use to.
>> I use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor the CPU temps which has worked
>> fine in the past. I have lowered the temp for the fan to go to full
>> speed mode in the Bios and still no change. If I lower the temo low 45
>> or so, it starts out in high speed mode and will not shift down when
>> the CPU goes to 39. Put it hack to 50 to 55 and it starts out in low
>> speed mode and will not shift up. I have tried 60% and 70% speed and
>> the low speed is different as expected. Seems like after boot up the
>> info never gets to what it is that chances the fan speed setting.
>>
>> Any ideas.
>> Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Tom:

Been out of town. I am using 2.7 then tried 2.8 with the same
results. I was OCing but am at standard now, but still the same. Yes
it will run the speed it is set for. If 60% then 60% if 70% then 70%
If off the 100%. But it does not seem to change when the temp
changes.

I did use LV16 powertools to clean the Reg. Not sure that caused the
issue. Can not remember when I first noticed the problem in
relationship to cleaning the reg. I have an old uncleaned version of
the Reg (June 10). I now have a new copy an a image of the C drive.
Was thinking of importing the uncleaned reg file back in. Have not
done that before. Doee that remove the current reg and replace it
with the new imported reg? Or does it do something strange like merge
stuff. Also any idea if the REG file could cause the issue.

Thanks for your response Tom, you have been a real asset to this BD

Gary

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:

>so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
>such...
>
>--
>
>Thomas Geery
>Network+ certified
>
>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that
>> issue with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high
>> speed if you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you want
>> to run it that way but just a reference question to see if the full speed
>> works...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>> "Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Of late I have noticed that when I run by system hard and the CPU
>>> heats up, The CPU fan does not go to full speed mode like it use to.
>>> I use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor the CPU temps which has worked
>>> fine in the past. I have lowered the temp for the fan to go to full
>>> speed mode in the Bios and still no change. If I lower the temo low 45
>>> or so, it starts out in high speed mode and will not shift down when
>>> the CPU goes to 39. Put it hack to 50 to 55 and it starts out in low
>>> speed mode and will not shift up. I have tried 60% and 70% speed and
>>> the low speed is different as expected. Seems like after boot up the
>>> info never gets to what it is that chances the fan speed setting.
>>>
>>> Any ideas.
>>> Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tom as a follow on. I can hear the fan change speed as the machine
boots up just like it use to do. But now it does not chnage fan sped
due to Temp.

Gary

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:

>so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
>such...
>
>--
>
>Thomas Geery
>Network+ certified
>
>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that
>> issue with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high
>> speed if you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you want
>> to run it that way but just a reference question to see if the full speed
>> works...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>> "Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Of late I have noticed that when I run by system hard and the CPU
>>> heats up, The CPU fan does not go to full speed mode like it use to.
>>> I use Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor the CPU temps which has worked
>>> fine in the past. I have lowered the temp for the fan to go to full
>>> speed mode in the Bios and still no change. If I lower the temo low 45
>>> or so, it starts out in high speed mode and will not shift down when
>>> the CPU goes to 39. Put it hack to 50 to 55 and it starts out in low
>>> speed mode and will not shift up. I have tried 60% and 70% speed and
>>> the low speed is different as expected. Seems like after boot up the
>>> info never gets to what it is that chances the fan speed setting.
>>>
>>> Any ideas.
>>> Gary

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I don't think that any of the OS level stuff, registry, etc. affects the
bios controlled fan speed UNLESS you are running an app at the OS level that
is designed to do just that. one example is SpeedFan. other than that, the
bios is controlling the PWM fan speeds... I would think that the only thing
that could be causing such an issue is faulty RPM feedback from the fan,
possibly electrical noise on the feedback line from a fan that is not in the
best condition or wasn't a real good quality fan to begin with.

we have already seen where faulty RPM feedback can cause the bios alarms to
beep randomly and such and this is where I would be looking for issues with
respect to bios control of the fans, personal opinion...

thanks for the kudo's...

--

> Hi Tom:
>
> Been out of town. I am using 2.7 then tried 2.8 with the same
> results. I was OCing but am at standard now, but still the same. Yes
> it will run the speed it is set for. If 60% then 60% if 70% then 70%
> If off the 100%. But it does not seem to change when the temp
> changes.
>
> I did use LV16 powertools to clean the Reg. Not sure that caused the
> issue. Can not remember when I first noticed the problem in
> relationship to cleaning the reg. I have an old uncleaned version of
> the Reg (June 10). I now have a new copy an a image of the C drive.
> Was thinking of importing the uncleaned reg file back in. Have not
> done that before. Doee that remove the current reg and replace it
> with the new imported reg? Or does it do something strange like merge
> stuff. Also any idea if the REG file could cause the issue.
>
> Thanks for your response Tom, you have been a real asset to this BD
>
> Gary
>

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
>>such...
>>
>>--
>>
>>Thomas Geery
>>Network+ certified
>>
>>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that
>>> issue with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high
>>> speed if you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you
>>> want
>>> to run it that way but just a reference question to see if the full
>>> speed
>>> works...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thomas Geery
>>> Network+ certified
>>>
>>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>>> ^^^^^^^
>>>

>>> "Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

see my response on your other post...

--

> Tom as a follow on. I can hear the fan change speed as the machine
> boots up just like it use to do. But now it does not chnage fan sped
> due to Temp.
>
> Gary
>
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
>>such...
>>
>>--
>>
>>Thomas Geery
>>Network+ certified
>>
>>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I'll watch my system real carefully to see if I am having any of that
>>> issue with my IC7-G... what bios you running? will the fan run a high
>>> speed if you disable the fan speed control in the bios? not that you
>>> want
>>> to run it that way but just a reference question to see if the full
>>> speed
>>> works...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thomas Geery
>>> Network+ certified
>>>
>>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>>> ^^^^^^^
>>>

>>> "Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Tom:

I have had a false alarm once or twice. The fan speed does seem to
recording correctly though. Could try checking the connection and
seeing what gives. Strange that it goes from high speed to high speed
to low speed and back on boot up. Seems like something is working
when the OS is coming up and it some how affects it. The CPU fan is a
Zalmon 7000, so it seems to be a good quality fan, but you never know.

Thanks again

gary

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:

>I don't think that any of the OS level stuff, registry, etc. affects the
>bios controlled fan speed UNLESS you are running an app at the OS level that
>is designed to do just that. one example is SpeedFan. other than that, the
>bios is controlling the PWM fan speeds... I would think that the only thing
>that could be causing such an issue is faulty RPM feedback from the fan,
>possibly electrical noise on the feedback line from a fan that is not in the
>best condition or wasn't a real good quality fan to begin with.
>
>we have already seen where faulty RPM feedback can cause the bios alarms to
>beep randomly and such and this is where I would be looking for issues with
>respect to bios control of the fans, personal opinion...
>
>thanks for the kudo's...
>
>--
>
>Thomas Geery
>Network+ certified
>
>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

>"Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Tom:
>>
>> Been out of town. I am using 2.7 then tried 2.8 with the same
>> results. I was OCing but am at standard now, but still the same. Yes
>> it will run the speed it is set for. If 60% then 60% if 70% then 70%
>> If off the 100%. But it does not seem to change when the temp
>> changes.
>>
>> I did use LV16 powertools to clean the Reg. Not sure that caused the
>> issue. Can not remember when I first noticed the problem in
>> relationship to cleaning the reg. I have an old uncleaned version of
>> the Reg (June 10). I now have a new copy an a image of the C drive.
>> Was thinking of importing the uncleaned reg file back in. Have not
>> done that before. Doee that remove the current reg and replace it
>> with the new imported reg? Or does it do something strange like merge
>> stuff. Also any idea if the REG file could cause the issue.
>>
>> Thanks for your response Tom, you have been a real asset to this BD
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>so far, my CPU fan seems to be operating properly as far as speed and
>>>such...
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Thomas Geery
>>>Network+ certified
>>>
>>>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>>over 130,000 FTP users served!
>>> ^^^^^^^
>>>

>>>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Zallman makes some good stuff so I wouldn't expect it to be that... I have a
Zallman cooler and fan combo on my IC7-G with no issues. Like you, I hear
it speed up to full speed during boot, right after POST and then slows righ
back down unless things heat up. see the test below for a snippet of my
logs from MBM... the first RPM is the CPU fan and the second is the NB fan.
as loads go up and corresponding temps go up, so do RPM's and then they go
right back down as things drop off... I run MBM and SpeedFan together to
control NB speeds and I let the bios control CPU fan speed.

[begin log]
| 7/2/2005 | 12:15:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 50° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 38° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 12.04 V | 1962 RPM | 4963 RPM | 10.00 % | 15.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:15:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 38° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 1962 RPM | 4963 RPM | 4.00 % | 7.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:14:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 50° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 38° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.26 V | 4.97 V
| 11.86 V | 1962 RPM | 4963 RPM | 7.00 % | 7.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:14:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 50° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 1917 RPM | 4963 RPM | 6.00 % | 10.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:13:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.26 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 1962 RPM | 5273 RPM | 5.00 % | 3.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:13:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 34° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 2721 RPM | 4687 RPM | 9.00 % | 9.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:12:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 34° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.23 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 4963 RPM | 16.00 % | 16.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:12:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 34° C | 41° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.98 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 7.00 % | 6.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:11:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 54° C | 34° C | 42° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.86 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 12.00 % | 12.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:11:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 56° C | 34° C | 42° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.26 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 22.00 % | 20.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:10:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 59° C | 34° C | 41° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.50 V | 2.77 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 79.00 % | 81.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:10:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 58° C | 34° C | 40° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.50 V | 2.78 V | 3.23 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 92.00 % | 86.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:09:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 56° C | 34° C | 40° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.26 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 73.00 % | 72.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:09:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 56° C | 34° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.50 V | 2.80 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 96.00 % | 97.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:08:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 34° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.82 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 17.00 % | 19.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:08:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.98 V | 2636 RPM | 5625 RPM | 16.00 % | 14.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:07:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 34° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.77 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 12.04 V | 2721 RPM | 4687 RPM | 10.00 % | 17.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:07:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 34° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.23 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 20.00 % | 20.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:06:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 51° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.22 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 11.00 % | 10.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:06:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 33° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.50 V | 2.78 V | 3.22 V | 4.95 V
| 11.98 V | 2636 RPM | 7031 RPM | 25.00 % | 22.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:05:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 33° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 23.00 % | 21.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:05:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 33° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.98 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 33.00 % | 29.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:04:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 33° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.98 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 8.00 % | 15.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:04:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.80 V | 3.26 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 56.00 % | 41.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:03:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 33° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.80 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 10.00 % | 14.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:03:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 32° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 2721 RPM | 7031 RPM | 37.00 % | 33.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:02:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 56° C | 32° C | 40° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.95 V
| 11.92 V | 2008 RPM | 7031 RPM | 51.00 % | 58.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:02:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 32° C | 39° C
| 37° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 1962 RPM | 7031 RPM | 16.00 % | 15.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:01:47 PM | 3394 MHz | 52° C | 32° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.54 V | 2.78 V | 3.23 V | 4.95 V
| 11.86 V | 2008 RPM | 7031 RPM | 22.00 % | 34.00 % |
| 7/2/2005 | 12:01:17 PM | 3394 MHz | 53° C | 32° C | 39° C
| 38° C | 37° C | 1.52 V | 2.78 V | 3.25 V | 4.97 V
| 11.92 V | 1962 RPM | 7031 RPM | 32.00 % | 33.00 % |

--

> Thanks Tom:
>
> I have had a false alarm once or twice. The fan speed does seem to
> recording correctly though. Could try checking the connection and
> seeing what gives. Strange that it goes from high speed to high speed
> to low speed and back on boot up. Seems like something is working
> when the OS is coming up and it some how affects it. The CPU fan is a
> Zalmon 7000, so it seems to be a good quality fan, but you never know.
>
> Thanks again
>
> gary
>

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I don't think that any of the OS level stuff, registry, etc. affects the
>>bios controlled fan speed UNLESS you are running an app at the OS level
>>that
>>is designed to do just that. one example is SpeedFan. other than that,
>>the
>>bios is controlling the PWM fan speeds... I would think that the only
>>thing
>>that could be causing such an issue is faulty RPM feedback from the fan,
>>possibly electrical noise on the feedback line from a fan that is not in
>>the
>>best condition or wasn't a real good quality fan to begin with.
>>
>>we have already seen where faulty RPM feedback can cause the bios alarms
>>beep randomly and such and this is where I would be looking for issues
>>with
>>respect to bios control of the fans, personal opinion...
>>
>>thanks for the kudo's...
>>
>>--
>>
>>Thomas Geery
>>Network+ certified
>>
>>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>>"Gary" <moss@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Tom:
>>>
>>> Been out of town. I am using 2.7 then tried 2.8 with the same
>>> results. I was OCing but am at standard now, but still the same. Yes
>>> it will run the speed it is set for. If 60% then 60% if 70% then 70%
>>> If off the 100%. But it does not seem to change when the temp
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> I did use LV16 powertools to clean the Reg. Not sure that caused the
>>> issue. Can not remember when I first noticed the problem in
>>> relationship to cleaning the reg. I have an old uncleaned version of
>>> the Reg (June 10). I now have a new copy an a image of the C drive.
>>> Was thinking of importing the uncleaned reg file back in. Have not
>>> done that before. Doee that remove the current reg and replace it
>>> with the new imported reg? Or does it do something strange like merge
>>> stuff. Also any idea if the REG file could cause the issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response Tom, you have been a real asset to this BD
>>>
>>> Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks:

I use sandra 2002 to push the CPU temps up. I watched the MBM
readouts outs for temp and fan speed. Once the CPU temps hit the temp
set in Bios the fan use go from 1900 to about 2700, yea you could hear
it also. Once it got 5 degrees C lower than the set temp, the fan
would slow down. Tonight I tried loading the latest version of Abit
MotherBoard Monitor tool also. With the system was cool and the fan
slow, once I loaded Abits program the fan speed up, when I unloaded it
the fan slowed down. (personally I find the abit tool useless, but it
is able to speed the fan up. It seems like the temps are not being
read by the bios. Both the Mother Board programs can read the fan
speed and CPU temps.

I am off on another week trip. I have an image I can work with from a
few weeks ago and a few months ago where I know the fan was working.
Have a second boot drive also so I may play some when I get back.
Really the temps seem to be OK, I just liked the extra protection the
fan speed changed offered. If that does not work, perhaps it is my
MB, not sure it is enough of a problem to get a new one for.

Gary

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:

>Zallman makes some good stuff so I wouldn't expect it to be that... I have a
>Zallman cooler and fan combo on my IC7-G with no issues. Like you, I hear
>it speed up to full speed during boot, right after POST and then slows righ
>back down unless things heat up. see the test below for a snippet of my
>logs from MBM... the first RPM is the CPU fan and the second is the NB fan.
>as loads go up and corresponding temps go up, so do RPM's and then they go
>right back down as things drop off... I run MBM and SpeedFan together to
>control NB speeds and I let the bios control CPU fan speed.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

you could always try setting up SpeedFan and seeing if that will do the
trick for both CPU and NB...

--

> Thanks:
>
> I use sandra 2002 to push the CPU temps up. I watched the MBM
> readouts outs for temp and fan speed. Once the CPU temps hit the temp
> set in Bios the fan use go from 1900 to about 2700, yea you could hear
> it also. Once it got 5 degrees C lower than the set temp, the fan
> would slow down. Tonight I tried loading the latest version of Abit
> MotherBoard Monitor tool also. With the system was cool and the fan
> slow, once I loaded Abits program the fan speed up, when I unloaded it
> the fan slowed down. (personally I find the abit tool useless, but it
> is able to speed the fan up. It seems like the temps are not being
> read by the bios. Both the Mother Board programs can read the fan
> speed and CPU temps.
>
> I am off on another week trip. I have an image I can work with from a
> few weeks ago and a few months ago where I know the fan was working.
> Have a second boot drive also so I may play some when I get back.
> Really the temps seem to be OK, I just liked the extra protection the
> fan speed changed offered. If that does not work, perhaps it is my
> MB, not sure it is enough of a problem to get a new one for.
>
> Gary
>

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Zallman makes some good stuff so I wouldn't expect it to be that... I have
>>Zallman cooler and fan combo on my IC7-G with no issues. Like you, I hear
>>it speed up to full speed during boot, right after POST and then slows
>>righ
>>back down unless things heat up. see the test below for a snippet of my
>>logs from MBM... the first RPM is the CPU fan and the second is the NB
>>fan.
>>as loads go up and corresponding temps go up, so do RPM's and then they go
>>right back down as things drop off... I run MBM and SpeedFan together to
>>control NB speeds and I let the bios control CPU fan speed.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Tom:

I played with installing a older image on a second drive and booted
from it. A few issues but it did not change the issue of controling
the CPU fan speed. I installed Fan Speed and after I played with it
for a while it worked. I downloaded a profile some one had uploaded
for the IC7-G at the Fan Speed site and it helped with the lables,
After I got it setup it still seemed to work, hope some advanced menu
which have not fully figured out is not wrong, but seems to work.

Guess I will forget the Bios control. Thanks for your help.

Gary Moss

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote:

>you could always try setting up SpeedFan and seeing if that will do the
>trick for both CPU and NB...

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

glad to help out... don't understand why the bios is out in left field as
far as the fan goes but at least you have a solution in place... enjoy!