Abit Motherboard owners....will you install an Abit MB nex..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 9:01:52 AM

For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
(2005):-

Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?

If so, why ?

And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
offering ?

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
June 27, 2005 9:01:53 AM

Nope, I have only ever used Abit but am disappointed that they do not
produce a mobo that has 64 bit PCI for Desktop systems.

They are starting to produce PCIe mobos but most people will want to
make a transition and PCI-X would solve this issue as you can also
plug your old cards into the slot without any problems.

Abit, I want an Athlon 3200+ compatible mobo (Dual CPU would be fine as
long as I could plug just one in until I buy the other) with 64Mhz 64
bit PCI slots, PCIe, AGP 8x and I do not care what other features you
have.

If they released a mobo with that spec. people could buy them and
gradually upgrade their old cards to make a transition.

The problem with it is that PCI-X / PCI Cards are not compatible with
PCIe so when the new mobos are using PCIe the old cards would still be
out of date.

Maybe a solution would be to produce a PCI to PCIe interface?

Abit or not? to me it depends who fills our needs first.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 4:49:00 PM

> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-
>
> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?

That's a slightly difficult question to answer without the use of crystal
balls John, any chance of a lend of yours? :)

*If* I build a new system for my own use, the one thing that is certain is
that it won't be well towards the end of the year, and thus the chances are
that the processor(s) and board I end up using aren't even on the market
yet.

As such, it is impossible to tell you what I will use, as I'll look at
what's available at the time and specify the components according to what I
think will do the best job. It'll be interesting to hear others' views.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 5:44:10 PM

yes, they are one of the best and both of my systems are very stable

John Lewis wrote:
> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-
>
> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
> If so, why ?
>
> And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
> advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
> offering ?
>
> John Lewis
>

> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 5:53:13 PM

>For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
>new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
>(2005):-
>
>Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
>If so, why ?
>
>And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
>advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
>offering ?

I got my latest 2 Abit boards because I got a deal. If another decent
deal came along with different mobos (that still fit my needs) would I
go with it? Probably. As it sits right now it's going to be a long
time before I have to upgrade again.

I can assure you I'd never touch another Asus board again, though. :)

-GV
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 5:57:49 PM

> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-
>
> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?

That's a slightly difficult question to answer without the use of crystal
balls John, any chance of a lend of yours? :)

*If* I build a new system for my own use, the one thing that is certain is
that it won't be well towards the end of the year, and thus the chances are
that the processor(s) and board I end up using aren't even on the market
yet. If what Abit offer at the time looks good I'll use it. If someone
else's board looks a better bet for what I want to do I'll use that. It's a
simple enough issue to evaluate.

As such, it is impossible to tell you this far ahead of time what I will
use, as I'll look at what's available at the time and specify the components
according to what I think will do the best job. However, as I'm in the
lucky position of being able to use someone else's money to specify computer
systems in the meantime, I'll be able to base my own selection on practical
experience rather than just browsing reviews and product info, which is
nice.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 6:15:33 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:57:49 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
>> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
>> (2005):-
>>
>> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
>That's a slightly difficult question to answer without the use of crystal
>balls John, any chance of a lend of yours? :)

I don't have one either. I shall be building a new system in about 4
months, so I do have some interest in the answer.

>*If* I build a new system for my own use, the one thing that is certain is
>that it won't be well towards the end of the year, and thus the chances are
>that the processor(s) and board I end up using aren't even on the market
>yet. If what Abit offer at the time looks good I'll use it. If someone
>else's board looks a better bet for what I want to do I'll use that. It's a
>simple enough issue to evaluate.
>
>As such, it is impossible to tell you this far ahead of time what I will
>use, as I'll look at what's available at the time and specify the components
>according to what I think will do the best job. However, as I'm in the
>lucky position of being able to use someone else's money to specify computer
>systems in the meantime, I'll be able to base my own selection on practical
>experience rather than just browsing reviews and product info, which is
>nice.

That has done me no harm at all in the past, especially receiving
user-experience information, from people such as yourself.
So, if you were building a desktop system right now, which
would be your (say) top four MB recommendations, 2 for Intel
and 2 for AMD... with some future-proofing in mind ?

John Lewis

>--
>

>Richard Hopkins
>Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>(replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
>The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 10:47:19 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-
>
> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
> If so, why ?
>
> And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
> advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
> offering ?
>
> John Lewis
>

> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

I'll definitely look at Abit 1st. I've more good Abits than bad. And
some of the good ones have been steller.

Haven't posted here in a good while. That's because the BD7 / P 1.6A
combo currently in my main system has been absolutely perfect. So good
that I've had little desire to upgrade, though I traditionally upgrade
every 6 months or so. I've never kept a setup as my primary PC for a
year, much less the 2 years I've enjoyed the current setup.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 11:31:57 PM

I built systems using two or three Asus boards over the years. I found them
to be excellent performers, though the manuals were bad, and often the "case
connectors" were often mislabeled. Minor annoyances for an otherwise good
product. I now have two systems, one built on an Epox 8RDA+, which I've
been very impressed with, manual and "case connectors" included. My second
system is built on the NF7-S2, which I didn't realize isn't a good
overclocker. No biggie, though, I just bought an Athlon XP3200+ and all is
well. It's stable, and the manual is good, and all case connectors were
properly labeled.

I don't foresee building a new system before the end of 2005, but I will
definitely look closely at all the boards out there, read reviews, etc.,
before I plunk down my $$. If Abit has what I believe is the best board for
my needs, I'll buy it. I was in a hurry when I got my NF7-S2, as it
replaced a bad board (Biostar, which I only bought cuz at the time I needed
a micro-ATX nForce2 board and wanted three RAM slots and Soundstorm.) I
*know* I will never buy another Biostar board no matter what it offers.
Anyway, in my rush to get a working system, I accidentally bought the NF7-S2
instead of the NF7-S v2.0. Normally I take my time and choose all
components very carefully. In this case, I had all the components, just
needed a working board, and I goofed.... But now the system fills a
different need, so neither Soundstorm nor micro-ATX were necessary. I've
got my Epox overclocked, and it very occasionally reboots itself. My
non-overclocked NF7-S2 is rock stable. (And yes, I realize I could
overclock by boosting the FSB.)

Anyway, why won't you ever touch an Asus board again? ...What did I miss?
:-)

Regards,

Margaret

"GlassVial" <glassvial@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
>>new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
>>(2005):-
>>
>>Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>>
>>If so, why ?
>>
>>And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
>>advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
>>offering ?
>
> I got my latest 2 Abit boards because I got a deal. If another decent
> deal came along with different mobos (that still fit my needs) would I
> go with it? Probably. As it sits right now it's going to be a long
> time before I have to upgrade again.
>
> I can assure you I'd never touch another Asus board again, though. :)
>
> -GV

June 28, 2005 1:00:21 AM

John,

> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-

Well, I just built an IC7-G MAX only a few months ago, AND the wife
bought me a new laptop, so I'm currently set for a year or better.

> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?

Most certainly I will!

> If so, why ?

My IC7-G MAX is my 3rd Abit MoBo, whereas I've also had an Intel
AL440LX, an MSI, and several other oddballs. Overall, for me, Abit is
more well rounded (ease of use, ease of OC'ing, decent MoBo manual,
great stability, timely BIOS updates, etc.). Compared to the other
brands, I feel most comfortable with Abit.

I finally have a job where I could buy any brand MoBo & accessories I
want. What I won't do is jump into the 'bleeding edge' realm, so I'm
comfy as is with Abit's current offerings.
--

Jim
Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Heck Richard, I guess you didn't get any last night.

There is no need to flame me like that ... or to insult me in the way
you did.

As it happens the RAID card gives excellent performance (I lose 15M per
second because of the 33 bit PCI bus but I would not call that a waste
considering the speed it runs.

Upset with Abit? Not at all, I think they make great mobos but wish
that manufacturers would provide for niche markets (But it makes no
financial sense for them to do so).

As far as converters ... Try to find a server mobo with AGP 8x ... not
an easy job, An AGP to PCIe converter does exist and is called an ATOP.
You are correct that PCI to PCIe is fairly pointless.

You called me a 'clueless d1ckhead'. I have not provoked you or being
rude but you make such an abusive comment. Previous to this I really
respected you and your advice.

No, I am not an expert when it comes to Server mobos and I admit that.
I am tempted to tell you that you are an arrogant English git who gets
off on thinking that he is intellectually superior to those around him
and that is why you spend so much time in newsgroups & forums but I
will resist doing so.

If you are going to give people cr@p like that maybe you should not do
it under your employers name DABS! Well ... we all live and learn :o )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2005 11:18:13 PM

Nope.

I will only buy Asus for now on. More stable. Less headache. I don't care
about overclocking...I just want to plug it in and not worry.

> For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
> new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
> (2005):-
>
> Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
> If so, why ?
>
> And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
> advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
> offering ?
>
> John Lewis
>

> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2005 3:50:32 AM

"Flintstone" wrote in message...
> Heck Richard, I guess you didn't get any last night.

On the contrary. Ask any newsgroup regular and they'll tell you that my
approach is pretty consistent. If you post sensibly and learn from what you
read here I'll respond as such. If you don't, well...

> There is no need to flame me like that ... or to insult me in the way
> you did.

I felt my comments were justified and still do. Unfortunately there are
times when you've just got to call a spade a spade.

> Upset with Abit? Not at all, I think they make great mobos but
> wish that manufacturers would provide for niche markets (But it
> makes no financial sense for them to do so).

On the contrary, there are a few manufacturers making niche products, but
they tend to sell at niche prices. The trouble with what you're asking for
is that it is basically a nonsense specification that no manufacturer, no
matter how "niche", would ever offer at a price you would be remotely
prepared to pay. Why offer a PCI64/66 or PCI-X bus on desktop motherboards
to account for your add-in card when it's cheaper and better to incorporate
an onboard SATA-RAID controller directly on the southbridge or a PCIe lane?

> As far as converters ... Try to find a server mobo with AGP 8x ...

As you've already been told, the practical performance difference between 4x
and 8x AGP transfers is next to nothing. Unless you're benchmark-obsessed,
you'll never notice the difference, so on the face of it there's no reason
not to buy a "server" level board if you're desperate for a way to fully
utilise your SATA card.

> You called me a 'clueless d1ckhead'. I have not provoked you or being
> rude but you make such an abusive comment.

I know you weren't rude as such, but there definitely was provocation. I
called you a clueless dickhead because that's how you come across. A number
of people responded to your original post with constructive suggestions, but
you failed to take on board what you were told and carried on in exactly the
same vein you did when you arrived, so either you're too up yourself to take
on board what you learn, or it simply goes in one eye and out the other.

> No, I am not an expert when it comes to Server mobos and I admit
> that. I am tempted to tell you that you are an arrogant English git who
> gets off on thinking that he is intellectually superior to those around
> him

....In which case you're geographically clueless as well, seeing as my sig
clearly indicates that I'm not English. Doh!

> and that is why you spend so much time in newsgroups & forums

....and just how much time *do* I spend in newsgroups and forums? How do you
know? In any case, what conclusions would you draw if you did know, one way
or t'other? If you're going to try and slag me off old boy, at least try and
find a line of attack that actually makes sense.

> If you are going to give people cr@p like that maybe you should not
> do it under your employers name DABS!

dabs aren't my employers, what gave you that idea?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

June 29, 2005 5:38:07 AM

lol ... to be honest I only called you English to try to wind you up, I
had had a long day ... I lived in Wales for a couple of years before I
moved to Switzerland and it is a great place to live (I tried to learn
the language but probably learned more by walking around Asda than any
other method). Apologies if I offended you, I shouldn't have said it.
Like I said, my main reason for posting in these forums is learning.

It is definately cheaper to incorporate the RAID on the mobo but all
onboard controllers that I know of use "Fake RAID" ... A mixture of
hardware and software RAID. If you know of any mobos with on board
"True Hardware" controllers then please let me know! Fake RAID
generally produces lower performance and always limits the number of
operating systems that can access the RAID device (True Hardware RAID
devices are transparent to the OS and are controlled using plain
vanilla SCSI drivers).

It was the need for true hardware RAID and problems accessing the RAID
controllers from Linux, OS/2 and Solaris that caused me to look into
True Hardware RAID devices. The general consensus from the previous
thread was that it was not worth using the RAID card on a 32 bit PCI
bus but I have found that in practice I only lose 15MB per second using
a 3 disk RAID 0 setup on a 32 bit bus as opposed to a 64 bit and this
is an excellent result. It would be another story if I used a 4 disk
setup though.

You are right that I am disappointed that this card will most likely
not be compatible with future mobos. This is not such a problem as I
have a buyer for the RAID card when I want to sell it (actually because
of the other thread).

So from my side this was an excellent result. Thanks for the help and
advice you give.

Fred
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2005 3:26:09 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:01:52 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
>new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
>(2005):-
>
>Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
>If so, why ?
>
>And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
>advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
>offering ?
>
>John Lewis
>

>- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

Yes, I loved my NF7-S, and the KG7-R it replaces, and both the BE6's I
owned. I am using a DFI NF4 SLI DR right now, but if Abit comes up
with a board I like when I'm in the upgrade mood, then hell yea I'll
get one.
I don't like the idea that there's no newsgroup for DFI Mainboards.
And if there were, I don't like the idea that there wouldn't be any
sheep jokes in it like this one. Anyways....
I've been drinking fairly heavily this evening, and wanted to share a
weird drink I accidentally discovered. I'm not sure what to call it,
but it's basically a shot of tequilla with a bit of instant lemonade
mix in it. I just wet the shotglass and do it up like they do the salt
on the rim of a margaritta glass. Works out nice. Anyways, Tequilla (I
like jose gold), and instant lemonade mix (I used country time), put
them together, and well you can figure out the rest. I've had 9 of
them and 6 or 7 beers and well, I really souldn't be allowed on usenet
right now. Peace out mofos
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2005 11:52:21 PM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:26:09 -0800, GTD <duuh@stoopid.net> wrote:

>> I don't like the idea that there's no newsgroup for DFI Mainboards.
>> And if there were, I don't like the idea that there wouldn't be any
>> sheep jokes in it like this one. Anyways....

You can cure both problems...

>> I've been drinking fairly heavily this evening, and wanted to share a
>> weird drink I accidentally discovered. I'm not sure what to call it,
>> but it's basically a shot of tequilla with a bit of instant lemonade
>> mix in it. I just wet the shotglass and do it up like they do the salt
>> on the rim of a margaritta glass. Works out nice. Anyways, Tequilla (I
>> like jose gold), and instant lemonade mix (I used country time), put
>> them together, and well you can figure out the rest. I've had 9 of
>> them and 6 or 7 beers and well, I really souldn't be allowed on usenet
>> right now. Peace out mofos

Ouch! (that's your liver talking... if you still have one!)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2005 10:44:07 PM

wrote:

>For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
>new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
>(2005):-
>
>Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?
>
>If so, why ?
>
>And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
>advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
>offering ?
>
>John Lewis
>

>- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

About a year ago I built a new system using an Abit KV8-Max-3
Motherboard and Athlon 64bit 3200+ CPU. The only problem I had was
working out how to get the serial drives working, but that was just me
not installing the correct drivers. I'm really pleased with the
system and see no reason why I wouldn't consider another Abit mb in
the future, although I'm hoping this one will last me for quite a
while yet.

Why do you ask?

Tom
!