Help with haunted NF7 !!

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 27, 2005 4:57:12 PM

Good day, good people.

First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.

System is;

AMD 3200

Abit NF7

2 stick corsair 512 ddr400

Geforce 5200

200 gig sata

DVD writer

DVD rom

500 w psu

Problem:

At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
anything else.

Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg

Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.

All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.

A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
the bios.. nothing helps.

I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
the suppliers sites.

I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.

I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
tried 4 psu, again no change.

As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!

Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
number of a good exorcist ?

More about : haunted nf7

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 4:57:13 PM

Ben,

A couple of ideas:

1) Could it be the monitor you have? Have you swapped to another,
known-good monitor?

2) Maybe put that system on a UPS temporarily. I know you said that
you've moved to other rooms, but maybe something going on with your
whole house power?

Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 4:57:13 PM

Ben,

Could the system or monitor be going into standby and not resuming? I
wouldn't think it would while you were using it but who knows these days.

You might try to set the monitor to "always on" and all other monitor
settings to "never" and see what happens. Or read up on the "Power
Management Setup" in the BIOS and possibly make some changes there.

Just some thoughts.....

Leon Rowell

Ben wrote:

> Good day, good people.
>

> First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
> this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
> have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.
>

> System is;
>
> AMD 3200
>
> Abit NF7
>
> 2 stick corsair 512 ddr400
>
> Geforce 5200
>
> 200 gig sata
>
> DVD writer
>
> DVD rom
>
> 500 w psu
>

> Problem:
>
> At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
> system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
> window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
> anything else.
>

> Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg
>
> Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.
>
> All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
> been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.
>

> A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
> bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
> the bios.. nothing helps.
>

> I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
> 15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
> the suppliers sites.
>

> I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.
>

> I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
> fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
> systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
> tried 4 psu, again no change.
>

> As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
> supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!
>

> Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
> number of a good exorcist ?

Related resources
June 27, 2005 6:23:37 PM

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42BFFA4F.E49E2CCC@cox.net...
> Ben,
>
> A couple of ideas:
>
> 1) Could it be the monitor you have? Have you swapped to another,
> known-good monitor?

No not the monitor, if I try the power off key on the keyboard nothing
happen. I've also tried a number of 'hot key' progs to short cut turn off,
but once the system black screens the only key that works is the one on the
back of the psu... also if say the systems downloading the hd lights
flickering as the datas stored, that stops dead once the system hangs....

> 2) Maybe put that system on a UPS temporarily. I know you said that
> you've moved to other rooms, but maybe something going on with your
> whole house power?

But there are 2 to 3 other systems running at the same time and they don't
so much as blink when mine falls over, but if I can borrow one I'll give it
a go

> Jim
June 27, 2005 6:57:00 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:57:12 +0100, "Ben"
<zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> had a flock of green cheek
conures squawk out:

>Problem:
>
>At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
>system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
>window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
>anything else.

The last time I had a problem similar to this, it was the video card.
Upgrade to the latest or if you already are using the latest, go back
a version or two. You can also try another video card.

Anothing thing to check is the power supply, it may be failing.

Stephen

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 7:13:00 PM

Ben wrote:

| Good day, good people.

G'day!

<snip>

| 500 w psu

<snip>

Hi Ben -

"500 w psu" tells us virtually nothing. Put some meat on the bone.

Who makes your PSU? Is it a generic, no-name or "came with the case" cheap
PSU or is it a name brand? What are the listed ratings for the voltage
rails (specifically +3.3v, +5v and +12v) .. these can usually be found on
the sticker on the side of the unit.

The reason I draw on this is that the nForce boards are very fussy about the
quality of power they receive. Many have found that a name brand of at
least 400 watts is necessary for stable power. Many inexpensive PSU units
of 500 watts or more won't even start a nForce board.

Some other suggestions:
Bump up your Chipset and SDRAM voltages in SoftmenuIII a notch or two to
attempt to achieve stability.

Relax your memory timings.

Disable "PCI Enhance Performance" in Advanced Chipset Features.

Monitor your voltages and see if they deviate more than 2 - 3% up or down
from spec.

Jef
June 27, 2005 7:20:06 PM

"Leon Rowell" <leon429@netins.net> wrote in message
news:D 9p06h$sf7$1@news.netins.net...
> Ben,
>
> Could the system or monitor be going into standby and not resuming? I
> wouldn't think it would while you were using it but who knows these days.
>
> You might try to set the monitor to "always on" and all other monitor
> settings to "never" and see what happens. Or read up on the "Power
> Management Setup" in the BIOS and possibly make some changes there.

All very good points and all been tried. rembember that I've reinstall at
least 6 time with 3 op systems on 2 differant drive so far and now I'm even
running on a new mb...

> Just some thoughts.....

Thanks,

Ben
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 7:20:07 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:20:06 +0100, Ben wrote:

> All very good points and all been tried. rembember that I've reinstall at
> least 6 time with 3 op systems on 2 differant drive so far and now I'm even
> running on a new mb...

My brother had this same thing happen to him running W98 recently. I had
upgraded his MB and cpu and re-installed W98 and left it runing overnight
before he took it home. Some time after that, it started randomly locking
up on him. Of course he had loaded all sorts of updates by then. He only
had a 250W PSU so I sent him a 500W and tried to get him to change it, but
he didn't until he switched yo winXP at the same time. Of course there
isn't a problem now, but I really think the original problem was either a
driver or the PSU. I had also loaded Linux on his machine and it seemed to
run fine iirc. Might try Linux and see if it still happens. Even on of the
versions that runs off CD, like knoppix.

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 7:31:41 PM

Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
cpu?

Other things to try:
Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
sound video card/driver related.

Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
completely cold?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

<zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote:

>Good day, good people.
>

>First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
>this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
>have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.
>

>System is;
>
>AMD 3200
>
>Abit NF7
>
>2 stick corsair 512 ddr400
>
>Geforce 5200
>
>200 gig sata
>
>DVD writer
>
>DVD rom
>
>500 w psu
>

>Problem:
>
>At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
>system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
>window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
>anything else.
>

>Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg
>
>Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.
>
> All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
>been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.
>

>A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
>bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
>the bios.. nothing helps.
>

>I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
>15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
>the suppliers sites.
>

>I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.
>

>I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
>fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
>systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
>tried 4 psu, again no change.
>

>As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
>supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!
>

>Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
>number of a good exorcist ?

June 27, 2005 11:50:22 PM

"JefN" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Ben wrote:
> |
> | Good day, good people.
> |

> G'day!
>
> <snip>
> |
> | 500 w psu
> |
> <snip>
>
> Hi Ben -
>
> "500 w psu" tells us virtually nothing. Put some meat on the bone.
>
> Who makes your PSU? Is it a generic, no-name or "came with the case"
cheap
> PSU or is it a name brand? What are the listed ratings for the voltage
> rails (specifically +3.3v, +5v and +12v) .. these can usually be found on
> the sticker on the side of the unit.
>
> The reason I draw on this is that the nForce boards are very fussy about
the
> quality of power they receive. Many have found that a name brand of at
> least 400 watts is necessary for stable power. Many inexpensive PSU units
> of 500 watts or more won't even start a nForce board.

I've been down this road, I've gone through 4 psu's, some branded some not.
even with almost no load (ie just graphics card, one stick of ram and the
boot hd it still falls over..

> Some other suggestions:
> Bump up your Chipset and SDRAM voltages in SoftmenuIII a notch or two to
> attempt to achieve stability.

Done that, had people send me timing to try, it all ways falls over... and
any way, memtest and prime run fine !

> Relax your memory timings.

As above.

> Disable "PCI Enhance Performance" in Advanced Chipset Features.

again, as above...

> Monitor your voltages and see if they deviate more than 2 - 3% up or down
> from spec.

Running everest and have run the Abit montior and mbm (but not all at the
same time). Very little movement in votage (ie the +12 may go to +12.1 or
down to 11.9 but thats as far as it gets)

I've been on this for over 4 months, there's not a lot I haven't tried so
far...
June 27, 2005 11:52:40 PM

"Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:57:12 +0100, "Ben"
> <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> had a flock of green cheek
> conures squawk out:
>

> >Problem:
> >
> >At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
> >system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing
> >window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond
> >anything else.
>
> The last time I had a problem similar to this, it was the video card.
> Upgrade to the latest or if you already are using the latest, go back
> a version or two. You can also try another video card.

Tried the windows version, the that came on the cd with the card and the
newest from the site, all fall over. I've taken the geforce out,
uninstalled in safe mode, take the card out, stuck in a rad 7200 and tried
that with all the option above. System still falls over...
June 28, 2005 1:03:30 PM

"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
> process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
> tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
> cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
> cpu?

I have swiched every part out and it still falls over (and beleve me, I know
how that sounds). I'm running the system with a big cpu fan with the side of
the case off, so I can get to bit faster. I've tried many setting for the
cpu volts and it make no differance. and it's a new cpu my supplier has
just swapped for new the mem, cpu and mb.

> Other things to try:
> Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
> sound video card/driver related.

I'll give that a go. I was sure it was a video card problem at first, but
I've swapped that out and gone from a geforce to a rad and it still hangs !!

> Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
> you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
> is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
> completely cold?

Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has). First power on in the morning,
windows load, open an app, click on the move bar,move window accress screen,
half way through the move , black screen... Other days, powre on, use
system (in the same way) for hours,nothing happen until maybe 6 to 7 hours
up and, black screen. There's no pattern at all.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2005 1:53:51 AM

I've had a mouse wire go out but it failed to an open - not a short.
Seems like you would need a short to get the mobo to lock up. You say
IDE cables have been swapped?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:12:23 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
wrote:

< snip >
>Now thats interesting, as the only bits that haven't been swapped are the
>keyboard, mouse and case.
< snip >
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2005 1:59:27 AM

Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
transistor/ic related.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:03:30 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
wrote:

< snip >
>Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has).

< snip >
June 29, 2005 1:11:00 PM

> I've had a mouse wire go out but it failed to an open - not a short.
> Seems like you would need a short to get the mobo to lock up. You say
> IDE cables have been swapped?

Yep, every cable has been swapped at least once. I've tried ribbon and I've
tried the round ones.

I've had the mouse for years, it was working fine on a p4 setup, but I guess
it may have gone strange. I'll 'borrow' from the kids and see what happens..
June 29, 2005 1:20:30 PM

> Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
> transistor/ic related.

OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem, mb,
graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!
June 29, 2005 1:20:31 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:20:30 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> wrote:

>"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
>> Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
>> transistor/ic related.
>>

>OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
>and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem, mb,
>graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!

I've had similar problems for months. Lock ups, restarts, BSOD, corrupted display, and other
miscellaneous errors. Replaced a system HD no help, swapped everything possible including the
keyboard & mouse, no help, Apparent cause, the analog & digital cables to the LCD were bent
sharply by the tower being placed as close to the wall behind it as possible. Fix, replace LCD
cables and allow enough room for them to exit smoothly.
*****************
Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2005 6:11:42 PM

I'm curious. Where you using DVI cables or SVGA cables to the LCD
monitor?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:57:38 -0400, KG <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote:

< snip >
>I've had similar problems for months. Lock ups, restarts, BSOD, corrupted display, and other
>miscellaneous errors. Replaced a system HD no help, swapped everything possible including the
>keyboard & mouse, no help, Apparent cause, the analog & digital cables to the LCD were bent
>sharply by the tower being placed as close to the wall behind it as possible. Fix, replace LCD
>cables and allow enough room for them to exit smoothly.
>*****************
>Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>
>Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician
>
>To reply to this email please remove the AT
>after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
June 30, 2005 4:28:48 PM

> At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
> system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing
> window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
> anything else.

Another long shot for you. I had a system fail with exactly those symptoms.
It turned out that the video card did not fit tightly in the PCI slot. The
part of the card with the gold fingers was about 1 millimeter shorter than
the PCI slot. This allowed lateral movement enough to intermittently cause
misalignment of the gold fingers, and therefore disconnections/shorts.

I fixed this with a piece of toothpick inserted into the PCI slot to take up
the slack. (The next guy who works on that system will probably be cursing
me.)

Check all your cards to see if there's any lateral play.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2005 3:58:37 AM

Hmm from experience why don't you try not using the case? i had this weird
problems where the mb was being shorted by the case. pull exerything out and
connect it just outside of the case. be casreful when you do this.

"Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> wrote in message

> "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
>> Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
>> transistor/ic related.
>>

> OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
> and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem,
> mb,
> graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2005 9:28:18 AM

try a different wall socket for power........ run an extension cord if you
have to...

--
Russ

Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

> "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> > Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
> > process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
> > tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
> > cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
> > cpu?
> >
> I have swiched every part out and it still falls over (and beleve me, I
know
> how that sounds). I'm running the system with a big cpu fan with the side
of
> the case off, so I can get to bit faster. I've tried many setting for the
> cpu volts and it make no differance. and it's a new cpu my supplier has
> just swapped for new the mem, cpu and mb.
>

> > Other things to try:
> > Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
> > sound video card/driver related.
>
> I'll give that a go. I was sure it was a video card problem at first, but
> I've swapped that out and gone from a geforce to a rad and it still hangs
!!

> > Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
> > you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
> > is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
> > completely cold?
> >
> Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has). First power on in the morning,
> windows load, open an app, click on the move bar,move window accress
screen,
> half way through the move , black screen... Other days, powre on, use
> system (in the same way) for hours,nothing happen until maybe 6 to 7 hours
> up and, black screen. There's no pattern at all.

July 1, 2005 12:37:32 PM

"Ray" <no@spam.me> wrote in message news:p 4Vwe.13404$2S.7405@fe03.lga...
> > At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
> > system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or
moving/resizing
> > window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond
> > anything else.
>
> Another long shot for you. I had a system fail with exactly those
symptoms.
> It turned out that the video card did not fit tightly in the PCI slot. The
> part of the card with the gold fingers was about 1 millimeter shorter than
> the PCI slot. This allowed lateral movement enough to intermittently cause
> misalignment of the gold fingers, and therefore disconnections/shorts.
>
> I fixed this with a piece of toothpick inserted into the PCI slot to take
up
> the slack. (The next guy who works on that system will probably be cursing
> me.)
>
> Check all your cards to see if there's any lateral play.

I'll certainly take a look, but I've swapped the video card out (twice, so
far), but it could be that the slot is very slightly over sized.

Thanks.
July 1, 2005 12:54:05 PM

"Chris Streeter" <zhorntix@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o _CdndZP-oIvR1nfRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> Hmm from experience why don't you try not using the case? i had this weird
> problems where the mb was being shorted by the case. pull exerything out
and
> connect it just outside of the case. be casreful when you do this.

Done that, makes no difference, system still hangs the same way...but
thanks.. you may see now why I'm more than a little convinced the things
haunted ;)
July 2, 2005 1:28:42 AM

"Russ" <sourdo55 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> try a different wall socket for power........ run an extension cord if you
> have to...

run in 3 different room, still falls over.
Same rooms run p4 in them fine and the same rooms are running theses p4
systems at the same time mine falls over and they not so much as flicker...
I'm fairly sure it's not a power issue
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 7:42:01 PM

You might want to review the movie "The Exorcist" to see how they
dealt with the possessed.

Good luck...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
July 3, 2005 9:14:17 PM

> You might want to review the movie "The Exorcist" to see how they
> dealt with the possessed.
>
> Good luck...

Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2005 7:46:25 AM

Hi,

I hope that this might help. I just spent this past evening wrestling
with a 'new old' system that had somewhat a similar problem. This is a
really old mobo, and the symptoms were somewhat different, but here
goes:

- The original problem was that the system would power up and boot ok,
but after awhile, the screen would go black, and awhile later, I'd hear
3 beeps, and the system would then appear to be hung, but power supply
fan and CPU fan would still be spinning.

- The 3 beeps took me on a bit of a wild goose chase. I think that it's
suppose to indicate a memory problem, so I started swapping out memory
sticks, and running memory tests. I didn't get anywhere with that... no
matter which sticks and which configuration, I'd see the same symptoms.

- Tried changing CPU fan, which didn't change anything.

Anyway, I was about to give up (isn't that always the case :) ?), and I
was looking around the BIOS settings, and I noticed that the power
savings settings were set for "Maximum" power savings. I changed that
BIOS setting to "Disabled", and then ran a memory test again. It's been
running for awhile now, and finished 1 pass of the memory test, and it's
still going strong...

Hope that helps!

Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2005 4:55:34 PM

It could, worth a try ???

If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
you'll know your onto something...

>Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2005 4:41:59 PM

In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
says...
> It could, worth a try ???
>
> If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
> you'll know your onto something...
>

> >Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?

Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.

Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."

<g> -P.
July 5, 2005 4:42:00 PM

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
> says...
> > It could, worth a try ???
> >
> > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
> > you'll know your onto something...
> >

> > >Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might
happen ?

> Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
>
> Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
> up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
> preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
>
> <g> -P.

Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
peripheral ?).

mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
July 5, 2005 4:42:01 PM

In article <42ca3932$0$10474$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk says...

> "Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> > In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
> > says...
> > > It could, worth a try ???
> > >
> > > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
> > > you'll know your onto something...

> happen ?
> > > >

> > Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
> >
> > Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
> > up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
> > preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
> >
> > <g> -P.
>
> Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
> a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
> peripheral ?).
>

> mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....

What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?

What are they, anarchists?

Bill
July 6, 2005 2:12:52 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
>> In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
>> says...
>> > It could, worth a try ???
>> >
>> > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
>> > you'll know your onto something...

>happen ?
>> > >

>> Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
>>
>> Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
>> up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
>> preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
>>
>> <g> -P.
>
>Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
>a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
>peripheral ?).
>

>mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....

A rubber chicken is less messy...

Stephen

a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2005 2:30:58 AM

Ben,

Getting back to your original problem... did you check your power
saving settings in BIOS and try to disable them, per my post awhile ago?

Jim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2005 3:12:08 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Bill wrote:

>> > Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
>> > a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
>> > peripheral ?).
>> >
>> > mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
>> >
>> What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?

NO NO NO!

Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.

Goats are needed for SCSI chains.

If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
you must use both a chicken and a goat.
July 7, 2005 12:25:10 PM

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42CB4262.67C23BEA@cox.net...
> Ben,
>
> Getting back to your original problem... did you check your power
> saving settings in BIOS and try to disable them, per my post awhile ago?
>
> Jim

Hi Jim, yes, I've tried it with all power saving off, it makes no
difference. It dose look like it could be dropping into stand by, the
screen fades to black over about 1 to 2 seconds rather than just flicking
straight to black. But I can't see how moving or re-sizing a window would
force a move to stand by ?

Also remember, I'm now on mb no 2 and I've reinstalled windows at least 5
times, reset the bios lots and changed many, many settings in there (hence
the resets)...
July 7, 2005 12:27:36 PM

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
> a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
>

> >"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> >> In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
> >> says...

> >happen ?
> >> > >

> >> Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
> >>
> >> Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
> >> up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
> >> preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
> >>
> >> <g> -P.
> >
> >Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate
for
> >a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
> >peripheral ?).
> >

> >mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
> >

> A rubber chicken is less messy...
>
> Stephen

I can't see the dark powers being to impressed with the soul of a rubber
chicken... I think that's just asking to get hit with a rain of 3 legged
frogs (most likely, inside the monitor)..
July 7, 2005 12:32:55 PM

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote in message

> >> What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?
>
> NO NO NO!
>
> Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.
>
> Goats are needed for SCSI chains.
>
> If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
> top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
> you must use both a chicken and a goat.

and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with pentagrams ?
do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?
July 7, 2005 3:26:53 PM

> "Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
>> a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
>>

>> >"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message

>> >happen ?

>> >Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate
> for
>> >a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
>> >peripheral ?).
>> >

>> >mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
>> >

>> A rubber chicken is less messy...
>>
>> Stephen
>>
> I can't see the dark powers being to impressed with the soul of a rubber
> chicken... I think that's just asking to get hit with a rain of 3 legged
> frogs (most likely, inside the monitor)..

A rubber chicken soul could be good for the dark shoe repair business.

Dave
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2005 6:18:23 PM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:32:55 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
wrote:

>> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote
>> >
>> > Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.
>> >
>> > Goats are needed for SCSI chains.
>> >
>> > If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
>> > top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
>> > you must use both a chicken and a goat.
>> >
>> and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with pentagrams ?

Thanks for asking before starting things!

If your processor is Intel, use a pentagram, for AMD use a CIRCLE.

>> do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
>> point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
>> generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?

Depends: which way do you want the blast to go?

The chicken and goat should be outside, near the barbe---alter.
The computer should be inside an air-conditioned, air-filtered room.
Remember the Holy Water... Evian for Intel, Iced Tea (mint is fine) for
AMD. The rest depends on each circumstance, and will be known by
Revelation. Good luck.
July 10, 2005 7:42:27 PM

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:32:55 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> >> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote

then

> >> and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with
pentagrams ?

> Thanks for asking before starting things!
>
> If your processor is Intel, use a pentagram, for AMD use a CIRCLE.
>
> >> do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
> >> point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
> >> generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?
>
> Depends: which way do you want the blast to go?
>
> The chicken and goat should be outside, near the barbe---alter.
> The computer should be inside an air-conditioned, air-filtered room.
> Remember the Holy Water... Evian for Intel, Iced Tea (mint is fine) for
> AMD. The rest depends on each circumstance, and will be known by
> Revelation. Good luck.

Concise and to the point, just what I'd expect from this group ;-)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all the good people here, I've
now tried everything and the dame thing still falls over... I have changed
every single part and reinstalled more time than can be good for the drive.
I've been building these things for 9 years and I have never has this much
trouble with a system.
So I've given up, I've split up the components and made my self a new p4
system and upgraded the kids systems with the other bits and given the mb
and cpu to a mate..
All I can say is, this was the first AMD system I've tried and it will
most certainly be the last. I may have just been unlucky, I may try again,
but not until the next life.

Thanks again all

Ben
!