Help with haunted NF7 !!

Good day, good people.

First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.

System is;

AMD 3200

Abit NF7

2 stick corsair 512 ddr400

Geforce 5200

200 gig sata

DVD writer

DVD rom

500 w psu

Problem:

At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
anything else.

Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg

Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.

All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.

A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
the bios.. nothing helps.

I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
the suppliers sites.

I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.

I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
tried 4 psu, again no change.

As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!

Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
number of a good exorcist ?
39 answers Last reply
More about help haunted

    Ben,

    A couple of ideas:

    1) Could it be the monitor you have? Have you swapped to another,
    known-good monitor?

    2) Maybe put that system on a UPS temporarily. I know you said that
    you've moved to other rooms, but maybe something going on with your
    whole house power?

    Jim
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ben,

    Could the system or monitor be going into standby and not resuming? I
    wouldn't think it would while you were using it but who knows these days.

    You might try to set the monitor to "always on" and all other monitor
    settings to "never" and see what happens. Or read up on the "Power
    Management Setup" in the BIOS and possibly make some changes there.

    Just some thoughts.....

    Leon Rowell

    Ben wrote:

    > Good day, good people.
    >

    > First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
    > this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
    > have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.
    >

    > System is;
    >
    > AMD 3200
    >
    > Abit NF7
    >
    > 2 stick corsair 512 ddr400
    >
    > Geforce 5200
    >
    > 200 gig sata
    >
    > DVD writer
    >
    > DVD rom
    >
    > 500 w psu
    >

    > Problem:
    >
    > At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    > system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
    > window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
    > anything else.
    >

    > Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg
    >
    > Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.
    >
    > All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
    > been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.
    >

    > A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
    > bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
    > the bios.. nothing helps.
    >

    > I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
    > 15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
    > the suppliers sites.
    >

    > I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.
    >

    > I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
    > fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
    > systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
    > tried 4 psu, again no change.
    >

    > As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
    > supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!
    >

    > Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
    > number of a good exorcist ?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42BFFA4F.E49E2CCC@cox.net...
    > Ben,
    >
    > A couple of ideas:
    >
    > 1) Could it be the monitor you have? Have you swapped to another,
    > known-good monitor?

    No not the monitor, if I try the power off key on the keyboard nothing
    happen. I've also tried a number of 'hot key' progs to short cut turn off,
    but once the system black screens the only key that works is the one on the
    back of the psu... also if say the systems downloading the hd lights
    flickering as the datas stored, that stops dead once the system hangs....

    > 2) Maybe put that system on a UPS temporarily. I know you said that
    > you've moved to other rooms, but maybe something going on with your
    > whole house power?

    But there are 2 to 3 other systems running at the same time and they don't
    so much as blink when mine falls over, but if I can borrow one I'll give it
    a go

    > Jim
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:57:12 +0100, "Ben"
    <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> had a flock of green cheek
    conures squawk out:

    >Problem:
    >
    >At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    >system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
    >window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
    >anything else.

    The last time I had a problem similar to this, it was the video card.
    Upgrade to the latest or if you already are using the latest, go back
    a version or two. You can also try another video card.

    Anothing thing to check is the power supply, it may be failing.

    Stephen

    --
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ben wrote:

    | Good day, good people.

    G'day!

    <snip>

    | 500 w psu

    <snip>

    Hi Ben -

    "500 w psu" tells us virtually nothing. Put some meat on the bone.

    Who makes your PSU? Is it a generic, no-name or "came with the case" cheap
    PSU or is it a name brand? What are the listed ratings for the voltage
    rails (specifically +3.3v, +5v and +12v) .. these can usually be found on
    the sticker on the side of the unit.

    The reason I draw on this is that the nForce boards are very fussy about the
    quality of power they receive. Many have found that a name brand of at
    least 400 watts is necessary for stable power. Many inexpensive PSU units
    of 500 watts or more won't even start a nForce board.

    Some other suggestions:
    Bump up your Chipset and SDRAM voltages in SoftmenuIII a notch or two to
    attempt to achieve stability.

    Relax your memory timings.

    Disable "PCI Enhance Performance" in Advanced Chipset Features.

    Monitor your voltages and see if they deviate more than 2 - 3% up or down
    from spec.

    Jef
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Leon Rowell" <leon429@netins.net> wrote in message
    > Ben,
    >
    > Could the system or monitor be going into standby and not resuming? I
    > wouldn't think it would while you were using it but who knows these days.
    >
    > You might try to set the monitor to "always on" and all other monitor
    > settings to "never" and see what happens. Or read up on the "Power
    > Management Setup" in the BIOS and possibly make some changes there.

    All very good points and all been tried. rembember that I've reinstall at
    least 6 time with 3 op systems on 2 differant drive so far and now I'm even
    running on a new mb...

    > Just some thoughts.....

    Thanks,

    Ben
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:20:06 +0100, Ben wrote:

    > All very good points and all been tried. rembember that I've reinstall at
    > least 6 time with 3 op systems on 2 differant drive so far and now I'm even
    > running on a new mb...

    My brother had this same thing happen to him running W98 recently. I had
    upgraded his MB and cpu and re-installed W98 and left it runing overnight
    before he took it home. Some time after that, it started randomly locking
    up on him. Of course he had loaded all sorts of updates by then. He only
    had a 250W PSU so I sent him a 500W and tried to get him to change it, but
    he didn't until he switched yo winXP at the same time. Of course there
    isn't a problem now, but I really think the original problem was either a
    driver or the PSU. I had also loaded Linux on his machine and it seemed to
    run fine iirc. Might try Linux and see if it still happens. Even on of the
    versions that runs off CD, like knoppix.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
    process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
    tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
    cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
    cpu?

    Other things to try:
    Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
    sound video card/driver related.

    Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
    you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
    is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
    completely cold?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote:

    >Good day, good people.
    >

    >First, can I thank everyone here for all the help that I've been given with
    >this problem over the last few months. But I'm now down to thinking I must
    >have a haunted computer, I can't see any other explanation.
    >

    >System is;
    >
    >AMD 3200
    >
    >Abit NF7
    >
    >2 stick corsair 512 ddr400
    >
    >Geforce 5200
    >
    >200 gig sata
    >
    >DVD writer
    >
    >DVD rom
    >
    >500 w psu
    >

    >Problem:
    >
    >At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    >system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing a
    >window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
    >anything else.
    >

    >Cpu is running stock (no over clock) and idling at 32 deg
    >
    >Mem is stable, checked with mem test86 and prime.
    >
    > All h/w has been removed and reseated many times, no change. System has
    >been run with just cpu/mem/graphics/boot drive and it still falls over.
    >

    >A number of people here and on other forum have suggested mem timing and
    >bios setting, I've tried them all and they make no difference. I've flashed
    >the bios.. nothing helps.
    >

    >I've reformatted and reinstall xp sp1, xp sp2, w2k, on the sata and a spare
    >15 gig udma, again system falls over the same way. All drive lastest from
    >the suppliers sites.
    >

    >I've swapped the geforce out and tried a rad and that goes the same way.
    >

    >I've 2 or 3 other systems running in the house (all p4's) and they don't
    >fall over at all, so I'm guessing that it's not a mains power issue (the
    >systems been running and falling over in more than one room). I've also
    >tried 4 psu, again no change.
    >

    >As a final resort I've had the cpu, mem and motherboard swapped my the
    >supplier for brand new.. And it still falls over the same way !!!!
    >

    >Can any, please see what I'm missing ? or failing that, any one got the
    >number of a good exorcist ?

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "JefN" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Ben wrote:
    > |
    > | Good day, good people.
    > |

    > G'day!
    >
    > <snip>
    > |
    > | 500 w psu
    > |
    > <snip>
    >
    > Hi Ben -
    >
    > "500 w psu" tells us virtually nothing. Put some meat on the bone.
    >
    > Who makes your PSU? Is it a generic, no-name or "came with the case"
    cheap
    > PSU or is it a name brand? What are the listed ratings for the voltage
    > rails (specifically +3.3v, +5v and +12v) .. these can usually be found on
    > the sticker on the side of the unit.
    >
    > The reason I draw on this is that the nForce boards are very fussy about
    the
    > quality of power they receive. Many have found that a name brand of at
    > least 400 watts is necessary for stable power. Many inexpensive PSU units
    > of 500 watts or more won't even start a nForce board.

    I've been down this road, I've gone through 4 psu's, some branded some not.
    even with almost no load (ie just graphics card, one stick of ram and the
    boot hd it still falls over..

    > Some other suggestions:
    > Bump up your Chipset and SDRAM voltages in SoftmenuIII a notch or two to
    > attempt to achieve stability.

    Done that, had people send me timing to try, it all ways falls over... and
    any way, memtest and prime run fine !

    > Relax your memory timings.

    As above.

    > Disable "PCI Enhance Performance" in Advanced Chipset Features.

    again, as above...

    > Monitor your voltages and see if they deviate more than 2 - 3% up or down
    > from spec.

    Running everest and have run the Abit montior and mbm (but not all at the
    same time). Very little movement in votage (ie the +12 may go to +12.1 or
    down to 11.9 but thats as far as it gets)

    I've been on this for over 4 months, there's not a lot I haven't tried so
    far...
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:57:12 +0100, "Ben"
    > <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> had a flock of green cheek
    > conures squawk out:
    >

    > >Problem:
    > >
    > >At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    > >system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing
    > >window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond
    > >anything else.
    >
    > The last time I had a problem similar to this, it was the video card.
    > Upgrade to the latest or if you already are using the latest, go back
    > a version or two. You can also try another video card.

    Tried the windows version, the that came on the cd with the card and the
    newest from the site, all fall over. I've taken the geforce out,
    uninstalled in safe mode, take the card out, stuck in a rad 7200 and tried
    that with all the option above. System still falls over...
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    > Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
    > process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
    > tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
    > cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
    > cpu?

    I have swiched every part out and it still falls over (and beleve me, I know
    how that sounds). I'm running the system with a big cpu fan with the side of
    the case off, so I can get to bit faster. I've tried many setting for the
    cpu volts and it make no differance. and it's a new cpu my supplier has
    just swapped for new the mem, cpu and mb.

    > Other things to try:
    > Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
    > sound video card/driver related.

    I'll give that a go. I was sure it was a video card problem at first, but
    I've swapped that out and gone from a geforce to a rad and it still hangs !!

    > Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
    > you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
    > is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
    > completely cold?

    Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has). First power on in the morning,
    windows load, open an app, click on the move bar,move window accress screen,
    half way through the move , black screen... Other days, powre on, use
    system (in the same way) for hours,nothing happen until maybe 6 to 7 hours
    up and, black screen. There's no pattern at all.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I've had a mouse wire go out but it failed to an open - not a short.
    Seems like you would need a short to get the mobo to lock up. You say
    IDE cables have been swapped?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:12:23 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
    wrote:

    < snip >
    >Now thats interesting, as the only bits that haven't been swapped are the
    >keyboard, mouse and case.
    < snip >
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
    transistor/ic related.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:03:30 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
    wrote:

    < snip >
    >Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has).

    < snip >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > I've had a mouse wire go out but it failed to an open - not a short.
    > Seems like you would need a short to get the mobo to lock up. You say
    > IDE cables have been swapped?

    Yep, every cable has been swapped at least once. I've tried ribbon and I've
    tried the round ones.

    I've had the mouse for years, it was working fine on a p4 setup, but I guess
    it may have gone strange. I'll 'borrow' from the kids and see what happens..
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
    > transistor/ic related.

    OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
    and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem, mb,
    graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:20:30 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> wrote:

    >"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    >> Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
    >> transistor/ic related.
    >>

    >OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
    >and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem, mb,
    >graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!

    I've had similar problems for months. Lock ups, restarts, BSOD, corrupted display, and other
    miscellaneous errors. Replaced a system HD no help, swapped everything possible including the
    keyboard & mouse, no help, Apparent cause, the analog & digital cables to the LCD were bent
    sharply by the tower being placed as close to the wall behind it as possible. Fix, replace LCD
    cables and allow enough room for them to exit smoothly.
    *****************
    Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

    Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician

    To reply to this email please remove the AT
    after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I'm curious. Where you using DVI cables or SVGA cables to the LCD
    monitor?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:57:38 -0400, KG <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote:

    < snip >
    >I've had similar problems for months. Lock ups, restarts, BSOD, corrupted display, and other
    >miscellaneous errors. Replaced a system HD no help, swapped everything possible including the
    >keyboard & mouse, no help, Apparent cause, the analog & digital cables to the LCD were bent
    >sharply by the tower being placed as close to the wall behind it as possible. Fix, replace LCD
    >cables and allow enough room for them to exit smoothly.
    >*****************
    >Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
    >
    >Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician
    >
    >To reply to this email please remove the AT
    >after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    > system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or moving/resizing
    > window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond to
    > anything else.

    Another long shot for you. I had a system fail with exactly those symptoms.
    It turned out that the video card did not fit tightly in the PCI slot. The
    part of the card with the gold fingers was about 1 millimeter shorter than
    the PCI slot. This allowed lateral movement enough to intermittently cause
    misalignment of the gold fingers, and therefore disconnections/shorts.

    I fixed this with a piece of toothpick inserted into the PCI slot to take up
    the slack. (The next guy who works on that system will probably be cursing
    me.)

    Check all your cards to see if there's any lateral play.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Hmm from experience why don't you try not using the case? i had this weird
    problems where the mb was being shorted by the case. pull exerything out and
    connect it just outside of the case. be casreful when you do this.

    "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    >> Ok. If its not temperature related then its unlikely to be
    >> transistor/ic related.
    >>

    > OK, But, I've changed everything that has a transistor or ic on it so far
    > and it still hangs ? I mean what's left, I've swapped out the cpu, mem,
    > mb,
    > graphics card, psu and hard drives.... there's nothing left !!

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    try a different wall socket for power........ run an extension cord if you
    have to...

    --
    Russ

    Visit Alaska @ http://www.tannersacre.com

    > "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    > > Gosh you've tried/switched out just about everything. Just through a
    > > process of elimination, the only thing left is the cpu. Have you
    > > tried adding on .1 or .2 volts? Also, do you have extremely good
    > > cooling as 32 deg sounds very low. Is the thermistor contacting the
    > > cpu?
    > >
    > I have swiched every part out and it still falls over (and beleve me, I
    know
    > how that sounds). I'm running the system with a big cpu fan with the side
    of
    > the case off, so I can get to bit faster. I've tried many setting for the
    > cpu volts and it make no differance. and it's a new cpu my supplier has
    > just swapped for new the mem, cpu and mb.
    >

    > > Other things to try:
    > > Unlock the PCI bus and try a 10% lower speed - at first read it did
    > > sound video card/driver related.
    >
    > I'll give that a go. I was sure it was a video card problem at first, but
    > I've swapped that out and gone from a geforce to a rad and it still hangs
    !!

    > > Can you comment on the "any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours" aspect? Do
    > > you mean 2 minutes after a reboot - and the system is warm? That is,
    > > is the problem related to a warm system? Has it ever locked up
    > > completely cold?
    > >
    > Oh, yes, it locks from cold (It just has). First power on in the morning,
    > windows load, open an app, click on the move bar,move window accress
    screen,
    > half way through the move , black screen... Other days, powre on, use
    > system (in the same way) for hours,nothing happen until maybe 6 to 7 hours
    > up and, black screen. There's no pattern at all.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Ray" <no@spam.me> wrote in message news:p4Vwe.13404$2S.7405@fe03.lga...
    > > At random times (any thing from 2 mins to 8 hours after switch on) the
    > > system black screens, usally when I'm clicking an icon or
    moving/resizing
    > > window. Only action that works is a power off, system will not respond
    > > anything else.
    >
    > Another long shot for you. I had a system fail with exactly those
    symptoms.
    > It turned out that the video card did not fit tightly in the PCI slot. The
    > part of the card with the gold fingers was about 1 millimeter shorter than
    > the PCI slot. This allowed lateral movement enough to intermittently cause
    > misalignment of the gold fingers, and therefore disconnections/shorts.
    >
    > I fixed this with a piece of toothpick inserted into the PCI slot to take
    up
    > the slack. (The next guy who works on that system will probably be cursing
    > me.)
    >
    > Check all your cards to see if there's any lateral play.

    I'll certainly take a look, but I've swapped the video card out (twice, so
    far), but it could be that the slot is very slightly over sized.

    Thanks.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Chris Streeter" <zhorntix@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hmm from experience why don't you try not using the case? i had this weird
    > problems where the mb was being shorted by the case. pull exerything out
    and
    > connect it just outside of the case. be casreful when you do this.

    Done that, makes no difference, system still hangs the same way...but
    thanks.. you may see now why I'm more than a little convinced the things
    haunted ;)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Russ" <sourdo55 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > try a different wall socket for power........ run an extension cord if you
    > have to...

    run in 3 different room, still falls over.
    Same rooms run p4 in them fine and the same rooms are running theses p4
    systems at the same time mine falls over and they not so much as flicker...
    I'm fairly sure it's not a power issue
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    You might want to review the movie "The Exorcist" to see how they
    dealt with the possessed.

    Good luck...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > You might want to review the movie "The Exorcist" to see how they
    > dealt with the possessed.
    >
    > Good luck...

    Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Hi,

    I hope that this might help. I just spent this past evening wrestling
    with a 'new old' system that had somewhat a similar problem. This is a
    really old mobo, and the symptoms were somewhat different, but here
    goes:

    - The original problem was that the system would power up and boot ok,
    but after awhile, the screen would go black, and awhile later, I'd hear
    3 beeps, and the system would then appear to be hung, but power supply
    fan and CPU fan would still be spinning.

    - The 3 beeps took me on a bit of a wild goose chase. I think that it's
    suppose to indicate a memory problem, so I started swapping out memory
    sticks, and running memory tests. I didn't get anywhere with that... no
    matter which sticks and which configuration, I'd see the same symptoms.

    - Tried changing CPU fan, which didn't change anything.

    Anyway, I was about to give up (isn't that always the case :)?), and I
    was looking around the BIOS settings, and I noticed that the power
    savings settings were set for "Maximum" power savings. I changed that
    BIOS setting to "Disabled", and then ran a memory test again. It's been
    running for awhile now, and finished 1 pass of the memory test, and it's
    still going strong...

    Hope that helps!

    Jim
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    It could, worth a try ???

    If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
    you'll know your onto something...

    >Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
    says...
    > It could, worth a try ???
    >
    > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
    > you'll know your onto something...
    >

    > >Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might happen ?

    Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.

    Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
    up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
    preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."

    <g> -P.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
    > In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
    > says...
    > > It could, worth a try ???
    > >
    > > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
    > > you'll know your onto something...
    > >

    > > >Humm, you think if I fill the case with holy water something might
    happen ?

    > Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
    >
    > Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
    > up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
    > preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
    >
    > <g> -P.

    Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
    a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    peripheral ?).

    mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <42ca3932$0$10474$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk says...

    > "Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
    > > In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
    > > says...
    > > > It could, worth a try ???
    > > >
    > > > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
    > > > you'll know your onto something...

    > happen ?
    > > > >

    > > Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
    > >
    > > Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
    > > up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
    > > preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
    > >
    > > <g> -P.
    >
    > Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
    > a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    > peripheral ?).
    >

    > mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....

    What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?

    What are they, anarchists?

    Bill
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
    a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
    >> In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
    >> says...
    >> > It could, worth a try ???
    >> >
    >> > If you sprinkle it on the outside of the case, and it steams off
    >> > you'll know your onto something...

    >happen ?
    >> > >

    >> Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
    >>
    >> Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
    >> up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
    >> preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
    >>
    >> <g> -P.
    >
    >Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
    >a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    >peripheral ?).
    >

    >mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....

    A rubber chicken is less messy...

    Stephen

    --
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ben,

    Getting back to your original problem... did you check your power
    saving settings in BIOS and try to disable them, per my post awhile ago?

    Jim
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Bill wrote:

    >> > Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate for
    >> > a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    >> > peripheral ?).
    >> >
    >> > mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
    >> >
    >> What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?

    NO NO NO!

    Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.

    Goats are needed for SCSI chains.

    If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
    top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
    you must use both a chicken and a goat.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:42CB4262.67C23BEA@cox.net...
    > Ben,
    >
    > Getting back to your original problem... did you check your power
    > saving settings in BIOS and try to disable them, per my post awhile ago?
    >
    > Jim

    Hi Jim, yes, I've tried it with all power saving off, it makes no
    difference. It dose look like it could be dropping into stand by, the
    screen fades to black over about 1 to 2 seconds rather than just flicking
    straight to black. But I can't see how moving or re-sizing a window would
    force a move to stand by ?

    Also remember, I'm now on mb no 2 and I've reinstalled windows at least 5
    times, reset the bios lots and changed many, many settings in there (hence
    the resets)...
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
    > a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >

    > >"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
    > >> In article <istic1hlossunm3qrpgrd4nsgv2ovnsorf@4ax.com>, gumpy@mail.org
    > >> says...

    > >happen ?
    > >> > >

    > >> Filling it would certainly be another way of 'drowning his worries'.
    > >>
    > >> Puts me in mind of this cartoon I saw of two computer techs having set
    > >> up candles next to the monitor and dragging a goat into the room,
    > >> preparing to sacrifice it on the keyboard: "if all else fails..."
    > >>
    > >> <g> -P.
    > >
    > >Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate
    for
    > >a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    > >peripheral ?).
    > >

    > >mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
    > >

    > A rubber chicken is less messy...
    >
    > Stephen

    I can't see the dark powers being to impressed with the soul of a rubber
    chicken... I think that's just asking to get hit with a rain of 3 legged
    frogs (most likely, inside the monitor)..
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote in message

    > >> What? They're going for the goat without waving a dead chicken first?
    >
    > NO NO NO!
    >
    > Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.
    >
    > Goats are needed for SCSI chains.
    >
    > If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
    > top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
    > you must use both a chicken and a goat.

    and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with pentagrams ?
    do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
    point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
    generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > "Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:39:46 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk> had
    >> a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >>

    >> >"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message

    >> >happen ?

    >> >Well that's one thing I haven't tried yet... anyone know the going rate
    > for
    >> >a goat these days ? (and could I get away with putting it down as a
    >> >peripheral ?).
    >> >

    >> >mind you, I bet those entrails get every where....
    >> >

    >> A rubber chicken is less messy...
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >>
    > I can't see the dark powers being to impressed with the soul of a rubber
    > chicken... I think that's just asking to get hit with a rain of 3 legged
    > frogs (most likely, inside the monitor)..

    A rubber chicken soul could be good for the dark shoe repair business.

    Dave
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:32:55 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote
    >> >
    >> > Live chickens (the sacrifice thereof) is to address IDE/ATAPI problems.
    >> >
    >> > Goats are needed for SCSI chains.
    >> >
    >> > If you have an IDE hardware interface but run a generic SCSI stack on
    >> > top of it (writable CDs required this until recently under Linux) then
    >> > you must use both a chicken and a goat.
    >> >
    >> and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with pentagrams ?

    Thanks for asking before starting things!

    If your processor is Intel, use a pentagram, for AMD use a CIRCLE.

    >> do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
    >> point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
    >> generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?

    Depends: which way do you want the blast to go?

    The chicken and goat should be outside, near the barbe---alter.
    The computer should be inside an air-conditioned, air-filtered room.
    Remember the Holy Water... Evian for Intel, Iced Tea (mint is fine) for
    AMD. The rest depends on each circumstance, and will be known by
    Revelation. Good luck.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:32:55 +0100, "Ben" <NOSPAM@NO_S_PA_AM.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote

    then

    > >> and I thought I had problems before !! where do we stand with
    pentagrams ?

    > Thanks for asking before starting things!
    >
    > If your processor is Intel, use a pentagram, for AMD use a CIRCLE.
    >
    > >> do we sit the case in the pentagram and then put a black candle at each
    > >> point or am I thinking of bluetooth transfer to mobile phone before the
    > >> generic drivers in xp sp 2 ?
    >
    > Depends: which way do you want the blast to go?
    >
    > The chicken and goat should be outside, near the barbe---alter.
    > The computer should be inside an air-conditioned, air-filtered room.
    > Remember the Holy Water... Evian for Intel, Iced Tea (mint is fine) for
    > AMD. The rest depends on each circumstance, and will be known by
    > Revelation. Good luck.

    Concise and to the point, just what I'd expect from this group ;-)

    Thanks for all the help and suggestions from all the good people here, I've
    now tried everything and the dame thing still falls over... I have changed
    every single part and reinstalled more time than can be good for the drive.
    I've been building these things for 9 years and I have never has this much
    trouble with a system.
    So I've given up, I've split up the components and made my self a new p4
    system and upgraded the kids systems with the other bits and given the mb
    and cpu to a mate..
    All I can say is, this was the first AMD system I've tried and it will
    most certainly be the last. I may have just been unlucky, I may try again,
    but not until the next life.

    Thanks again all

    Ben

Motherboards