Dual operating XP & ME

April 13, 2004 11:43:39 PM

I am trying to install a new hard drive with XP on it in addition to my
current hard drive which is ME. Here's what I've done so far:

I added the new hard drive to the tower and plugged it in with the
"master" part of the cable. The older drive (that already has ME and
all my current applications on it) then got the "slave" plug on the
cable.

I was able to turn on my computer, which recognized the XP disk and
installed XP on it. The problem is this: although the computer
recognizes that the ME hard drive is there, it doesn't allow me to boot
to it or to access it from the XP disk (I have tried both). In fact,
when I boot up the computer, I get a screen that asks me whether I want
to go to the ME or the XP operating system, and when I pick ME, it
STILL starts up XP.

If you look under "System Devices", you will see the ME hard drive, but
if you go to "My Computer", you do NOT see the ME hard drive. Is there
something I can do to get to the ME drive?? Should I switch the XP and
ME drives in terms of "Master/Slave" cable? I haven't installed
anything on the XP drive except for the actual OS so it doesn't matter
if I need to reformat and try again.

Thanks!

Hanna
--
Hanna

More about : dual operating

April 13, 2004 11:43:40 PM

What you should have done was install the new drive, boot into ME, then
install XP (while in ME), don't opt to upgrade ME to XP but opt to have XP
install on the 'new' drive. This will then set you in a dual boot
configuration.

"Hanna" <Hanna.14nrad@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to install a new hard drive with XP on it in addition to my
> current hard drive which is ME. Here's what I've done so far:
>
> I added the new hard drive to the tower and plugged it in with the
> "master" part of the cable. The older drive (that already has ME and
> all my current applications on it) then got the "slave" plug on the
> cable.
>
> I was able to turn on my computer, which recognized the XP disk and
> installed XP on it. The problem is this: although the computer
> recognizes that the ME hard drive is there, it doesn't allow me to boot
> to it or to access it from the XP disk (I have tried both). In fact,
> when I boot up the computer, I get a screen that asks me whether I want
> to go to the ME or the XP operating system, and when I pick ME, it
> STILL starts up XP.
>
> If you look under "System Devices", you will see the ME hard drive, but
> if you go to "My Computer", you do NOT see the ME hard drive. Is there
> something I can do to get to the ME drive?? Should I switch the XP and
> ME drives in terms of "Master/Slave" cable? I haven't installed
> anything on the XP drive except for the actual OS so it doesn't matter
> if I need to reformat and try again.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hanna
> --
> Hanna

April 14, 2004 3:12:56 PM

I have a WinME and an XP Pro dual boot system and I added a secondary HDD
but made it the slave and kept ME on the primary HDD. I installed the XP
onto the "D" drive and it saw the ME drive and added the boot menu.

I think you should have kept your ME disk as master instead of installing
the new disk as master and installing XP on it.

Solution (If you haven't done much since the failed install)

Remove the "new" drive and put the ME HDD as "master"

Put the "new" HDD back in computer and fdisk/format as FAT32 using the WinME
start-up disk.
I would not use the NTFS as you would not be able to see the XP HDD while in
ME.

Put in XP CDROM and have it put the OS on the "D" drive.

Good Luck!