Hi!
I need MS-DOS but I don't have it in my computer, how can
I get it?
Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Go to eBay or do a Google search to see if anyone is selling it.

"Karla" <karla_a_sanchez@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I need MS-DOS but I don't have it in my computer, how can
> I get it?
> Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bye the way - XP does have a DOS emulator. Try Start > Run and, in the box,
type cmd then hit ok - you should get a DOS box.

"Karla" <karla_a_sanchez@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I need MS-DOS but I don't have it in my computer, how can
> I get it?
> Thanks

Greetings --

There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit
graphical operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation,
has never used or included MS-DOS. The closest they have is the
Command Prompt window.

WinXP, like its predecessors WinNT & Win2K, is a pure 32-bit GUI
OS, and does not include or "ride upon" any version of DOS, as did
Win3.x & Win9x/Me. WinXP does include a command-line emulator for
those times when GUI applets are unnecessary/redundant, but it cannot
be started in "DOS mode."

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

Karla wrote:
> Hi!
> I need MS-DOS but I don't have it in my computer, how can
> I get it?
> Thanks

Why do you "need" it? I have many DOS-based applications and they run
perfectly well under XP.

You can get a DOS boot disk, actual several flavors of them, from
www.bootdisk.com. These are self-extracting files that will expand out onto
a floppy. Leave the floppy in the drive and reboot. You will be in true
DOS.

I personally like their win98SE bootdisk with generic CDROM support.

Note that pure DOS will not see any NTFS partitions on your hard drive.
However, there are free read/copy-only NTFS drivers for DOS available at
www.systeminteranls.com.

Also, DOS does not support USB. However, there are some drivers out on the
web that work with some hardware configurations. Try a google seach if you
need that functionality.

Bob Harris wrote:
> You can get a DOS boot disk, actual several flavors of them, from
> www.bootdisk.com. These are self-extracting files that will expand
> out onto a floppy. Leave the floppy in the drive and reboot. You
> will be in true DOS.
>
> I personally like their win98SE bootdisk with generic CDROM support.
>
> Note that pure DOS will not see any NTFS partitions on your hard
> drive. However, there are free read/copy-only NTFS drivers for DOS
> available at www.systeminteranls.com.
>
> Also, DOS does not support USB. However, there are some drivers out
> on the web that work with some hardware configurations. Try a google
> seach if you need that functionality.

This will, of course, be completely useless if any/all hard drives are
formatted in NTFS.