Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Powers down during primary boot

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 13, 2004 10:58:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Built new system. Intel MB D875PBZ with Intel P4 3.4 GHz.
During primary boot to setup(no software loaded) system
shuts down after 20 seconds or so. Bios is P16 and P20 is
required for 3.4 processor w/800 MHz FSB.Can't seem to
update bios because system shuts down. Any ideas?? Do you
think this problem is due to bios or other
power,component or board issue?? Power supply is 420w and
I'm sure it's not overlaoded. Many thanks in advance.
Ken

More about : powers primary boot

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 11:58:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

CPU Overheating? If the power supply is a name brand then it should be
fine.
"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1c33001c421c3$ef76dbe0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Built new system. Intel MB D875PBZ with Intel P4 3.4 GHz.
> During primary boot to setup(no software loaded) system
> shuts down after 20 seconds or so. Bios is P16 and P20 is
> required for 3.4 processor w/800 MHz FSB.Can't seem to
> update bios because system shuts down. Any ideas?? Do you
> think this problem is due to bios or other
> power,component or board issue?? Power supply is 420w and
> I'm sure it's not overlaoded. Many thanks in advance.
> Ken
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:24:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I don't think the CPU would overheat in less than 20
seconds....Power supply is "Thermaltake".
>-----Original Message-----
> CPU Overheating? If the power supply is a name brand
then it should be
>fine.
>"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:1c33001c421c3$ef76dbe0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> Built new system. Intel MB D875PBZ with Intel P4 3.4
GHz.
>> During primary boot to setup(no software loaded) system
>> shuts down after 20 seconds or so. Bios is P16 and P20
is
>> required for 3.4 processor w/800 MHz FSB.Can't seem to
>> update bios because system shuts down. Any ideas?? Do
you
>> think this problem is due to bios or other
>> power,component or board issue?? Power supply is 420w
and
>> I'm sure it's not overlaoded. Many thanks in advance.
>> Ken
>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 3:50:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If the heatsink is not seated properly, or is missing, the CPU can certainly
overheat in a few seconds.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1c35b01c421d0$0b07c7f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> I don't think the CPU would overheat in less than 20
> seconds....Power supply is "Thermaltake".
> >-----Original Message-----
> > CPU Overheating? If the power supply is a name brand
> then it should be
> >fine.
> >"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >news:1c33001c421c3$ef76dbe0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> >> Built new system. Intel MB D875PBZ with Intel P4 3.4
> GHz.
> >> During primary boot to setup(no software loaded) system
> >> shuts down after 20 seconds or so. Bios is P16 and P20
> is
> >> required for 3.4 processor w/800 MHz FSB.Can't seem to
> >> update bios because system shuts down. Any ideas?? Do
> you
> >> think this problem is due to bios or other
> >> power,component or board issue?? Power supply is 420w
> and
> >> I'm sure it's not overlaoded. Many thanks in advance.
> >> Ken
> >
> >
> >.
> >
April 14, 2004 3:50:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It may just be that one of the components that you have installed is not properly located.

This could be memory, system fan, video card etc. In most instances like the one you suggest, the video card isn't properly seated and the sytem will crash after basic load has completed.

This process should narrow down the search to locate the problem.

Try stripping off everything, then install CPU + Fan, one Memory module, and Video Card [if its a plug in device and not located on the board]. Connect PSU to board and the Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor. Test that it is stable.

If it isn't change over the one memory module for another.

Power off and add Floppy Drive, test.

repeat the above, adding in one device at a time.

If you find that your 'shutdown' occurs at the first step, go back to the shop and ask for help.

If it shutsdown after the addition of a particular device, then you've located the casue and can go and get that specific device replaced.

Also, some motherboards, such as MSI have a LED status indicator either on the board or plug in. Should you have this faciltiy, check the staus display against the trouble shooting guide.
April 14, 2004 11:10:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Gentlemen,
I feel like a complete idiot....CPU seated wrong. I
damaged one of the pins(broke off) during install. Just
killed $450 CPU.. Thank you for all your comments and
observations. Painful lesson!
Ken
>-----Original Message-----
>It may just be that one of the components that you have
installed is not properly located.
>
>This could be memory, system fan, video card etc. In
most instances like the one you suggest, the video card
isn't properly seated and the sytem will crash after
basic load has completed.
>
>This process should narrow down the search to locate
the problem.
>
>Try stripping off everything, then install CPU + Fan,
one Memory module, and Video Card [if its a plug in
device and not located on the board]. Connect PSU to
board and the Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor. Test that it
is stable.
>
>If it isn't change over the one memory module for
another.
>
>Power off and add Floppy Drive, test.
>
>repeat the above, adding in one device at a time.
>
>If you find that your 'shutdown' occurs at the first
step, go back to the shop and ask for help.
>
>If it shutsdown after the addition of a particular
device, then you've located the casue and can go and get
that specific device replaced.
>
>Also, some motherboards, such as MSI have a LED status
indicator either on the board or plug in. Should you
have this faciltiy, check the staus display against the
trouble shooting guide.
>
>
>.
>
!