NB Fan Unstable

Hi All,

I have the IC7-G Mobo and when I turned it on today, I noticed a loud
sound coming from the computer. Similar to the revving up an engine.
I checked the sys temp and fan speed from the bios and got these
readings:

Sys Temp: 32 C / 89 F
CPU Temp: 60 C / 140 F
PWM Temp: 44 C / 111 F
CPU Fan: 0 RPM
NB Fan: 0 RPM
SYS Fan: 2900 RPM

Even through the CPU Fan reeds at 0, I can physically see the fan
moving in the computer. When I start the computer, I could see the
northbridge fan moving really fast and the bios gets a reading of
around 2500 RPM. Then slows down to a reading of 0 RPM. But I can
still see the NB Fan moving on the Mobo.

The NB Fan would increase in speed every 15 mins or so, then slow
down. Its almost like a slow vibrating sound coming from the fan when
the bios reads it at 0 RPM.

I’ve had this computer for about a year now. These are my comp specs:

Abit IC7-G MAXII Socket 478 Intel 875P Intel MB
Intel P4 3.0Ghz Prescott 800Mhz
2 Gig DDR PC 3200 (4 512 DDR SDRAM)
WD 240 Gb HD (2 120 SATA)

I’m not sure if I need to buy new fans, or if its simply a
configuration problem.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(I saw the other thread about ISG-7 CPU fan, but I didn’t think this
was related.)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ABIT-NB-Fan-Unstable-ftopict58571.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296550

> Even through the CPU Fan reeds at 0, I can physically see the fan
> moving in the computer. When I start the computer, I could see the
> northbridge fan moving really fast and the bios gets a reading of
> around 2500 RPM. Then slows down to a reading of 0 RPM. But I can
> still see the NB Fan moving on the Mobo.
>
> The NB Fan would increase in speed every 15 mins or so, then slow
> down. Its almost like a slow vibrating sound coming from the fan when
> the bios reads it at 0 RPM.

That fan is dying. But it can take quite a while. It's usually dust and dirt
on the axis or the electrical contacts are no longer working properly. While
it is possible to disassemble the fan and try cleaning it, it's usually not
worth the trouble. Replacement fans are cheap.

jeff

Since the fan hasn't actually stopped working, it can sill be saved. Peal
off the sticker in the center of the fan. this will reveal the fan bearings.
A single drop of light weight oil (example 3in1 oil) on the bearings will
lubricate the fan and give it a new lease on life. Replace the sticker and
your good to go. I've had fans that have been revived indefinitely with this
method. Of course some fans are destine for the trash no matter what you do.
If you try this method, be very careful with the oil. a little goes a long
way (remember I said 1 drop).

Jeff

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> Even through the CPU Fan reeds at 0, I can physically see the fan
>> moving in the computer. When I start the computer, I could see the
>> northbridge fan moving really fast and the bios gets a reading of
>> around 2500 RPM. Then slows down to a reading of 0 RPM. But I can
>> still see the NB Fan moving on the Mobo.
>>
>> The NB Fan would increase in speed every 15 mins or so, then slow
>> down. Its almost like a slow vibrating sound coming from the fan when
>> the bios reads it at 0 RPM.
>
> That fan is dying. But it can take quite a while. It's usually dust and
> dirt
> on the axis or the electrical contacts are no longer working properly.
> While
> it is possible to disassemble the fan and try cleaning it, it's usually
> not
> worth the trouble. Replacement fans are cheap.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

The best fan lube is Inox spraylube, widely available at hardware stores.
And yes, these fans seldom stop outright; they die from lack of lubrication
and cleaning.

rms