Possible Trojan Infection???

I think I may have a Trojan on my computer. I can't
be sure if it is removed or not, or what steps to take.
I believe it started when I entered some strange Japanese
site relating to "Blade of the Immortal" or something.
Basically, I've noticed some wierd behavior on my
computer. It's pretty subtle, and seems benign, but that
usually is a sign that it isn't.

Here are the behaviors I've observed:

1) I recently downloaded the Google Search Toolbar for
Microsoft Internet Explorer. I installed it once and it
worked fine. Until I rebooted my computer. Then it disappeared!
It keeps disappearing everytime I restart my computer.
I have to reinstall it everytime I restart my computer.

2) I can no longer use Microsoft .NET passport to get to
Hotmail. I used to do this regularly before I suspected that
the trojan infected my computer.

These are the main symptoms I've observed. Also, I've noticed
that I've been losing hard drive space on a regular basis. It went
from 19.4 GB to 18.2 GB in 1 day. And it's dropping. I ran a port
scan on my computer to see if anything was up, but I don't know
what to look for or where to begin. These behaviors started after
I visited the site.

Help???

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Piscesboy/ said:

> I think I may have a Trojan on my computer. I can't
> be sure if it is removed or not, or what steps to take.
> I believe it started when I entered some strange Japanese
> site relating to "Blade of the Immortal" or something.
> Basically, I've noticed some wierd behavior on my
> computer. It's pretty subtle, and seems benign, but that
> usually is a sign that it isn't.
>
> Here are the behaviors I've observed:
>
> 1) I recently downloaded the Google Search Toolbar for
> Microsoft Internet Explorer. I installed it once and it
> worked fine. Until I rebooted my computer. Then it disappeared!
> It keeps disappearing everytime I restart my computer.
> I have to reinstall it everytime I restart my computer.
>
> 2) I can no longer use Microsoft .NET passport to get to
> Hotmail. I used to do this regularly before I suspected that
> the trojan infected my computer.
>
> These are the main symptoms I've observed. Also, I've noticed
> that I've been losing hard drive space on a regular basis. It went
> from 19.4 GB to 18.2 GB in 1 day. And it's dropping. I ran a port
> scan on my computer to see if anything was up, but I don't know
> what to look for or where to begin. These behaviors started after
> I visited the site.

Solid sources of info…

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm (Hijacking)