SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot bette..

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.

"Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message...
> SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

There's a difference but it doesn't seem to be night and day IME.

> But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of
> your computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

It makes a bit of difference to certain usage scenarios, but it's not like
your system feels twice as quick or anything like that. The most noticeable
difference is arguably a reduction in the carriage tracking noise (the
clicking and grinding) you often hear from a regular HD when performing
disk-intensive multitasking.

> Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system
> grind toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

There are a variety of reasons for what you're seeing and the most effective
cure may not be TCQ/NCQ. If, for example, your swap file is on the same disk
as the one you're copying from/to, and the thing you're "doing" is very
memory-intensive, the constant paging to and from the swapfile will
interrupt the file copy and vice-versa. While command queueing will make a
bit of a difference in that scenario, the best solution would either be to
add memory sufficient to reduce/eliminate swapfile use, or indeed to put
your swapfile on another disk.

> I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
> now.

Without knowing the spec of your current box it's difficult to comment
authoritatively, but as things stand it sounds like NCQ alone isn't the
answer to your prayers.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Son Of Sheep. wrote:

> SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

Better yes! Since that was the objective. A lot better is debatable.

> I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
> are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

Lol! Just the same as you and the rest of the computer fraternity who
dismissed SCSI.

> But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
> computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Probably not, however the functionality obviously wasn't regarded as a
necessity for a "normal" single home user since it's been around for
ages and only now is it fit for the SATA/IDE user.

> Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
> toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Then you use a sub-optimal OS.

> Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
> sounds IDEAL.

Fantastic! Fix software problems by buying new hardware! Kyoto is but a
a distant memory.

> I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
> now.

Stop using the most grossly over marketed OS in history and attempt to
use an OS which realistically fits your business/bollox requirements.

> Thanks for any info.

Any time.