CD/DVD comby burner

I get the following message on the device manager CD
icon. needless to say uninstalling, plug and play etc has
not worked (the CD works on boot-up). Any ideas will be
gratefully received before I carry out a complete
reinstall. details of the system are below.
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete
or damaged. (Code 19)"
System:
Sony via GRT360ZG laptop running XP home with SP2 (beta)
upgrade.
3 answers Last reply
More about comby burner

    Hi,

    First, update the mobo BIOS and chipset drivers from Sony website.
    AFTER UPDATED THE BIOS and chipset drivers, boot into BIOS and load setup default then save and exit.
    Restart the computer and boot in safe mode by pressing F8 key, login as administrator.
    Go to device manager and uninstall the DVD combo drive then reboot.
    After reboot, windows should find new hardware and install the drivers for the DVD combo drive.
    If the symptom persists, go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];q314060

    You may also try to download the latest XP compatible DVD combo drive drivers for your laptop model from the sony website.

    Hope it helps.

    Peter

    ----- ElctrricMike wrote: -----

    I get the following message on the device manager CD
    icon. needless to say uninstalling, plug and play etc has
    not worked (the CD works on boot-up). Any ideas will be
    gratefully received before I carry out a complete
    reinstall. details of the system are below.
    "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
    configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete
    or damaged. (Code 19)"
    System:
    Sony via GRT360ZG laptop running XP home with SP2 (beta)
    upgrade.

    To be properly configured you will need XP drivers.

    If they cant be found, take it back to the store and get one with XP drivers on a disk.

    Win XP will not play DVD movies unless you have some DVD codecs, need to get Win DVD or another application to make this possibly.

    Stupid thing is, once you have those Codecs, you will be able to play DVD movies in Windows Media Player - go figure.

    many thanks peter, followed your advice and the last bit
    (altered the registry) fixed the problem.
    regards mike

Hardware CD-Rom Windows XP