How to recover failed spanned array?

Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
data off the remaining two healthy drives.

I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
array comes back I will snatch the data.

Your advice is appreciated.

Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about recover failed spanned array

    By definition, RAID 0 makes all three drives appear as one large drive. By
    definition, RAID 0 provides no data security -- if any drive in a RAID 0
    array fails, all data is lost.

    You have two choices:
    (1) Spend the money to have a professional data recovery service
    attempt to re-create your data
    (2) Kiss your data goodby

    steve

    "Mike Busch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
    > drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
    > failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
    > bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
    > valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
    > either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
    > data off the remaining two healthy drives.
    >
    > I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
    > array comes back I will snatch the data.
    >
    > Your advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Mike

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:12:45 -0700, "joust in jest" <joust in
    jest@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >By definition, RAID 0 makes all three drives appear as one large drive. By
    >definition, RAID 0 provides no data security -- if any drive in a RAID 0
    >array fails, all data is lost.
    >
    >You have two choices:
    > (1) Spend the money to have a professional data recovery service
    >attempt to re-create your data
    > (2) Kiss your data goodby
    >
    >steve
    >

    >"Mike Busch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
    >> drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
    >> failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
    >> bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
    >> valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
    >> either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
    >> data off the remaining two healthy drives.
    >>
    >> I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
    >> array comes back I will snatch the data.
    >>
    >> Your advice is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Mike

    If I'm using RAID for data security, I prefer a striped array using
    the mulitple disks, instead of the RAID 0 spanned array.

    think about doing a clean install using a RAID1, which is mirroring. Hate to say this, "You will be doing a reinstall very soon."

    Mirroring(as well as RAID5 and any fault tolerant array)
    is only available in Server. I'm not worried about data
    security as this is just home data and now I have a tape
    backup unit. But does anyone know of a cost effective way
    to get back any of the data I lost?

    Mike

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:13:06 -0700, "Mike Busch"

    >Mirroring(as well as RAID5 and any fault tolerant array)
    >is only available in Server. I'm not worried about data
    >security as this is just home data and now I have a tape
    >backup unit. But does anyone know of a cost effective way
    >to get back any of the data I lost?
    >
    >Mike

    You can buy software to attempt this, and there are companies that
    specialize in data recovery. Neither is always sucessful, and neither
    are real cheap. Going with the outside company route will set you
    back several hundred bucks, minimum, but has a higher chance of
    sucess.

    Is it cost effective? Ask yourself that question!

Microsoft Windows XP