How to recover failed spanned array?

April 14, 2004 11:49:48 AM

Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
data off the remaining two healthy drives.

I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
array comes back I will snatch the data.

Your advice is appreciated.

Mike
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 2:12:45 PM

By definition, RAID 0 makes all three drives appear as one large drive. By
definition, RAID 0 provides no data security -- if any drive in a RAID 0
array fails, all data is lost.

You have two choices:
(1) Spend the money to have a professional data recovery service
attempt to re-create your data
(2) Kiss your data goodby

steve

"Mike Busch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
> drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
> failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
> bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
> valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
> either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
> data off the remaining two healthy drives.
>
> I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
> array comes back I will snatch the data.
>
> Your advice is appreciated.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:17:29 AM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:12:45 -0700, "joust in jest" <joust in
jest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>By definition, RAID 0 makes all three drives appear as one large drive. By
>definition, RAID 0 provides no data security -- if any drive in a RAID 0
>array fails, all data is lost.
>
>You have two choices:
> (1) Spend the money to have a professional data recovery service
>attempt to re-create your data
> (2) Kiss your data goodby
>
>steve
>

>"Mike Busch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry I know I posted this a few days ago. But I'm still
>> drawing a blank on this one. I have a spanned array that
>> failed. This is not work related so I can't spend big
>> bucks to get the data back. there was some personally
>> valuable stuff on there. So I'm looking for anyway to
>> either repair the array or if that's not possible get the
>> data off the remaining two healthy drives.
>>
>> I have installed a tape backup unit so the second this
>> array comes back I will snatch the data.
>>
>> Your advice is appreciated.
>>
>> Mike

If I'm using RAID for data security, I prefer a striped array using
the mulitple disks, instead of the RAID 0 spanned array.
April 15, 2004 4:26:02 AM

think about doing a clean install using a RAID1, which is mirroring. Hate to say this, "You will be doing a reinstall very soon."
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:13:06 PM

Mirroring(as well as RAID5 and any fault tolerant array)
is only available in Server. I'm not worried about data
security as this is just home data and now I have a tape
backup unit. But does anyone know of a cost effective way
to get back any of the data I lost?

Mike

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 12:46:29 AM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:13:06 -0700, "Mike Busch"

>Mirroring(as well as RAID5 and any fault tolerant array)
>is only available in Server. I'm not worried about data
>security as this is just home data and now I have a tape
>backup unit. But does anyone know of a cost effective way
>to get back any of the data I lost?
>
>Mike

You can buy software to attempt this, and there are companies that
specialize in data recovery. Neither is always sucessful, and neither
are real cheap. Going with the outside company route will set you
back several hundred bucks, minimum, but has a higher chance of
sucess.

Is it cost effective? Ask yourself that question!
!