Windows XP Drops Network

I have a laptop and a desktop connected through a router to the wideband
modem, then on to the internet.

The laptop runs a client software utility to configure and connect to the
router using an embedded adapter (Atheros chipset and Atheros client
software), and it is running XP home. Never have I had any problem with this
setup.

My desktop is running XP Pro, and a linksys usb54g adapter, the router is a
linksys wrt54gs, and the modem is a motorala b5100.

I've never had a problem (other than a few errors on my part getting the
router configured correctly) with the router or the modem. The XP Pro is a
different story. After I finally got the network up and running, it operates
smoothly for a while (random timing), then XP drops the link to the desktop.

After much searching, I found a KB article that pointed me to a Windows
download that would support WPA. This download and fix worked for about two
weeks, then the same problem came back (XP drops the link). Sometimes, if I
restart my desktop, the network comes up and holds for the session. Other
times, it drops my desktop. I was told that SP2 would fix this wireless
networking problem, among others.

If I connect the desktop to the router with ethernet, I have no problems.
However, I have this cable that I don't want, cluttering up my area.

I've read so many problems with SP2 that I've been reluctant to install it
yet. I may be forced to install it soon, though.

If anyone has any ideas that will help, I sure would appreciate it.

http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp

Carey

"earlthepearl" <earlthepearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop and a desktop connected through a router to the wideband
> modem, then on to the internet.
>
> The laptop runs a client software utility to configure and connect to the
> router using an embedded adapter (Atheros chipset and Atheros client
> software), and it is running XP home. Never have I had any problem with
> this
> setup.
>
> My desktop is running XP Pro, and a linksys usb54g adapter, the router is
> linksys wrt54gs, and the modem is a motorala b5100.
>
> I've never had a problem (other than a few errors on my part getting the
> router configured correctly) with the router or the modem. The XP Pro is
> different story. After I finally got the network up and running, it
> operates
> smoothly for a while (random timing), then XP drops the link to the
> desktop.
>
> After much searching, I found a KB article that pointed me to a Windows
> download that would support WPA. This download and fix worked for about
> two
> weeks, then the same problem came back (XP drops the link). Sometimes, if
> restart my desktop, the network comes up and holds for the session. Other
> times, it drops my desktop. I was told that SP2 would fix this wireless
> networking problem, among others.
>
> If I connect the desktop to the router with ethernet, I have no problems.
> However, I have this cable that I don't want, cluttering up my area.
>
> I've read so many problems with SP2 that I've been reluctant to install it
> yet. I may be forced to install it soon, though.
>
> If anyone has any ideas that will help, I sure would appreciate it.

Carey,
Thanks for the tip and the link. I followed the link, implemented the
suggestion of creating a Stop WZC services shortcut, double-clicked on the
new shortcut, and the network now seems to hold firm for the entire computer
session. Thanks for the help.

earlthepearl

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp
>
> Carey
>
> "earlthepearl" <earlthepearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop and a desktop connected through a router to the wideband
> > modem, then on to the internet.
> >
> > The laptop runs a client software utility to configure and connect to the
> > router using an embedded adapter (Atheros chipset and Atheros client
> > software), and it is running XP home. Never have I had any problem with
> > this
> > setup.
> >
> > My desktop is running XP Pro, and a linksys usb54g adapter, the router is
> > linksys wrt54gs, and the modem is a motorala b5100.
> >
> > I've never had a problem (other than a few errors on my part getting the
> > router configured correctly) with the router or the modem. The XP Pro is
> > different story. After I finally got the network up and running, it
> > operates
> > smoothly for a while (random timing), then XP drops the link to the
> > desktop.
> >
> > After much searching, I found a KB article that pointed me to a Windows
> > download that would support WPA. This download and fix worked for about
> > two
> > weeks, then the same problem came back (XP drops the link). Sometimes, if
> > restart my desktop, the network comes up and holds for the session. Other
> > times, it drops my desktop. I was told that SP2 would fix this wireless
> > networking problem, among others.
> >
> > If I connect the desktop to the router with ethernet, I have no problems.
> > However, I have this cable that I don't want, cluttering up my area.
> >
> > I've read so many problems with SP2 that I've been reluctant to install it
> > yet. I may be forced to install it soon, though.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas that will help, I sure would appreciate it.

My pleasure. Glad to hear it helped!