Problems with mobo fan

I had been having some problems with my older AT7 mobo giving intermittent
hardward errors and have luckily narrowed it down to a fan which covers my Via
KT333 not turning when I start up my system. If I start my system with my
chassis open and just give the fan a little nudge after I startup, it will start
turning fine and will continue to run, and any hardware errors will not occur.

While I can experiment with it, I thought I would first ask here among all the
knowledgable people about a solution. Do I need another fan and, if so, where
can I get one which matches the one on there ? Can the fan be cleaned or greased
in some way that it turns when I start my system ? Any help or advice before I
decide to play around with it myself and, possibly, fould things up so that it
does not turn at all ( yikes !!! ) would be greatly appreciated. It become
tiresome quickly to have to open my case each time I start my system to give the
fan a little nudge to get it turning.

Eddie

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

|I had been having some problems with my older AT7 mobo giving intermittent
| hardward errors and have luckily narrowed it down to a fan which covers my
Via
| KT333 not turning when I start up my system. If I start my system with my
| chassis open and just give the fan a little nudge after I startup, it will
start
| turning fine and will continue to run, and any hardware errors will not
occur.

| While I can experiment with it, I thought I would first ask here among all
the
| knowledgable people about a solution. Do I need another fan and, if so,
where
| can I get one which matches the one on there ? Can the fan be cleaned or
greased
| in some way that it turns when I start my system ? Any help or advice
before I
| decide to play around with it myself and, possibly, fould things up so
that it
| does not turn at all ( yikes !!! ) would be greatly appreciated. It become
| tiresome quickly to have to open my case each time I start my system to
give the
| fan a little nudge to get it turning.
|
| Eddie

Hi Eddie -

Remove the fan from the board and peel back the sticker from the hub.

Clean the fan thoroughly.

Lubricate the bearings with a small drop of light oil -- sewing machine oil
or equivalent does the task just fine.

Replace the sticker and turn the fan a number of times to evenly distribute
the oil.

Reassemble and hopefully your problems will be solved until the bearings,
once again, become dry.

Jef

JefN wrote:
> Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
> |
> |I had been having some problems with my older AT7 mobo giving intermittent
> | hardward errors and have luckily narrowed it down to a fan which covers my
> Via
> | KT333 not turning when I start up my system. If I start my system with my
> | chassis open and just give the fan a little nudge after I startup, it will
> start
> | turning fine and will continue to run, and any hardware errors will not
> occur.
> |
> | While I can experiment with it, I thought I would first ask here among all
> the
> | knowledgable people about a solution. Do I need another fan and, if so,
> where
> | can I get one which matches the one on there ? Can the fan be cleaned or
> greased
> | in some way that it turns when I start my system ? Any help or advice
> before I
> | decide to play around with it myself and, possibly, fould things up so
> that it
> | does not turn at all ( yikes !!! ) would be greatly appreciated. It become
> | tiresome quickly to have to open my case each time I start my system to
> give the
> | fan a little nudge to get it turning.
> |
> | Eddie
>
> Hi Eddie -
>
> Remove the fan from the board and peel back the sticker from the hub.
>
> Clean the fan thoroughly.
>
> Lubricate the bearings with a small drop of light oil -- sewing machine oil
> or equivalent does the task just fine.
>
> Replace the sticker and turn the fan a number of times to evenly distribute
> the oil.
>
> Reassemble and hopefully your problems will be solved until the bearings,
> once again, become dry.

Thanks very much for the information. I will try this out.

JefN wrote:
> Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
> |
> |I had been having some problems with my older AT7 mobo giving intermittent
> | hardward errors and have luckily narrowed it down to a fan which covers my
> Via
> | KT333 not turning when I start up my system. If I start my system with my
> | chassis open and just give the fan a little nudge after I startup, it will
> start
> | turning fine and will continue to run, and any hardware errors will not
> occur.
> |
> | While I can experiment with it, I thought I would first ask here among all
> the
> | knowledgable people about a solution. Do I need another fan and, if so,
> where
> | can I get one which matches the one on there ? Can the fan be cleaned or
> greased
> | in some way that it turns when I start my system ? Any help or advice
> before I
> | decide to play around with it myself and, possibly, fould things up so
> that it
> | does not turn at all ( yikes !!! ) would be greatly appreciated. It become
> | tiresome quickly to have to open my case each time I start my system to
> give the
> | fan a little nudge to get it turning.
> |
> | Eddie
>
> Hi Eddie -
>
> Remove the fan from the board and peel back the sticker from the hub.
>
> Clean the fan thoroughly.
>
> Lubricate the bearings with a small drop of light oil -- sewing machine oil
> or equivalent does the task just fine.
>
> Replace the sticker and turn the fan a number of times to evenly distribute
> the oil.
>
> Reassemble and hopefully your problems will be solved until the bearings,
> once again, become dry.

Thanks very much. Worked like a charm.

TRENDING THREADS