populating kv7 memory slots ?

RB

Hi all, the KV7 has three ddr slots. Can I populate all three slots with
ddr 333 sticks? I ask as one site that lists the KV7s specs, seems to me
to suggest that you can only use ddr 333 in two slots??
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=125
" Memory
- Three 184-pin DIMM sockets
- Supports 2 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 333/400 (Max. 2GB)
- Supports 3 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 266 (Max. 3GB)
"
If this is indeed the case, does it also hold for the KV7-V?
yours memory challenged

rb

Yes you can populate all three slots with ddr333 (166Mhz) or ddr400
(200MHz) memory. What the quote was trying to say is: with three
sticks installed it (the system) will probably only run at ddr266
speeds - even if ddr333 memory is installed.

Note. Regardless of the speed of the sticks, installing three sticks,
with memory chips only on side, is much more likely to work (at ddr333
speeds) then three sticks with memory chips on both sides. That is,
the total number of memory chips (installed) is part of the speed
limitation equation as well as the total number of sticks (installed).

Another note, more related. If three sticks of ddr333 are installed,
and the system won't run at ddr333 speeds, then you'll have to
manually set the memory speed in the bios to something lower than
166MHz. 90% of 166 = 150 MHz would have an excellent chance at
working.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:17:13 +1000, rb <snafu_1@lycos.com> wrote:

>Hi all, the KV7 has three ddr slots. Can I populate all three slots with
>ddr 333 sticks? I ask as one site that lists the KV7s specs, seems to me
>to suggest that you can only use ddr 333 in two slots??
>http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=125
>" Memory
>- Three 184-pin DIMM sockets
>- Supports 2 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 333/400 (Max. 2GB)
>- Supports 3 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 266 (Max. 3GB)
>"
>If this is indeed the case, does it also hold for the KV7-V?
>yours memory challenged
>
>rb

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

"rb" <snafu_1@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, the KV7 has three ddr slots. Can I populate all three slots with
> ddr 333 sticks? I ask as one site that lists the KV7s specs, seems to me
> to suggest that you can only use ddr 333 in two slots??
> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=125
> " Memory
> - Three 184-pin DIMM sockets
> - Supports 2 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 333/400 (Max. 2GB)
> - Supports 3 DIMM Un-buffered DDR 266 (Max. 3GB)
> "
> If this is indeed the case, does it also hold for the KV7-V?
> yours memory challenged
>
> rb

Hi RB,

Yes, KV7 & KV7-V have same set up.

/Marcus\

RB

- HAL9000 wrote:
> Yes you can populate all three slots with ddr333 (166Mhz) or ddr400
> (200MHz) memory. What the quote was trying to say is: with three
> sticks installed it (the system) will probably only run at ddr266
> speeds - even if ddr333 memory is installed.
>
> Note. Regardless of the speed of the sticks, installing three sticks,
> with memory chips only on side, is much more likely to work (at ddr333
> speeds) then three sticks with memory chips on both sides. That is,
> the total number of memory chips (installed) is part of the speed
> limitation equation as well as the total number of sticks (installed).
>
> Another note, more related. If three sticks of ddr333 are installed,
> and the system won't run at ddr333 speeds, then you'll have to
> manually set the memory speed in the bios to something lower than
> 166MHz. 90% of 166 = 150 MHz would have an excellent chance at
> working.
>
> Forrest

OK, thanks.
Lastly, I've got three 256 ddr333 (single sided) sticks and one 512mb
ddr 266 stick (double sided). If by using all three slots I'm limited to
ddr266, then I'm wondering whether using two ddr 256 and the one 512
ddr266 has a hope of working?
cheers
rb

Yes, installing three sticks of any ddr memory should work and always
has hope. The question is: at what speed?

You're on the right track. As I mentioned, if the 3 sticks don't work
at 166 just set the clock to 150. I believe the quote mentions "266"
(133MHz) as that is the next lower "standard" setting - in accordance
with the bios divisor "ratio". 150 is non standard and lowers the pci
bus performance slightly but retains memory speeds.

If it was me, and its not - just letting you know FYI, *if 166 doesn't
work* then I would go to 133 (that is, divisor ratio = 3:4:1) and then
overclock the system from 133 towards 150 MHz.

Use the 512 and find out which two of the 256 sticks are the best two
through a process of elimination.

Check the CL rating of all sticks. Be sure to set the memory CL to
the slowest of the three. That is, if they are all 2.5 except one,
and it is 3.0 - set the motherboard CL to 3.0. That's really not a
hard rule but it is a good rule of thumb with all ddr333 speed rated
memory.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/