KG7-Raid to be used as cheap mass storage "server"

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Hi All,

I have a small project of building a "mass storage server" from various
components given to me, what I wanted to know and haven't found yet is
wether the KG7-RAID IDE controllers will handle drives above 136GB.

I don't presently know what level of BIOS is in the board, but at least I do
have a CDROM for the drivers, however I am betting that the disc is out of
date compared to the board, so in addition to the drive limit query I also
would like a source for BIOS updates, and motherboard drivers. I spent a
little time trying to get information from the ABit site however it doesn't
seem to be there anymore.

TIA,

Marcus

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:46:08 +0000, Marcus wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a small project of building a "mass storage server" from various
> components given to me, what I wanted to know and haven't found yet is
> wether the KG7-RAID IDE controllers will handle drives above 136GB.
>
> I don't presently know what level of BIOS is in the board, but at least I do
> have a CDROM for the drivers, however I am betting that the disc is out of
> date compared to the board, so in addition to the drive limit query I also
> would like a source for BIOS updates, and motherboard drivers. I spent a
> little time trying to get information from the ABit site however it doesn't
> seem to be there anymore.

You didn't look hard enough. It's on the global site. And you need bios DS
or later for drives larger than 136gig on the HPT controller, and bios 768
and above added it to the via controller.

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:46:08 +0000, Marcus wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a small project of building a "mass storage server" from various
>> components given to me, what I wanted to know and haven't found yet is
>> wether the KG7-RAID IDE controllers will handle drives above 136GB.
>>
>> I don't presently know what level of BIOS is in the board, but at least I
>> do
>> have a CDROM for the drivers, however I am betting that the disc is out
>> of
>> date compared to the board, so in addition to the drive limit query I
>> also
>> would like a source for BIOS updates, and motherboard drivers. I spent a
>> little time trying to get information from the ABit site however it
>> doesn't
>> seem to be there anymore.
>>
> You didn't look hard enough. It's on the global site. And you need bios DS
> or later for drives larger than 136gig on the HPT controller, and bios 768
> and above added it to the via controller.
>
> --
> KT133 MB, CPU @2400MHz (24x100): SIS755 MB CPU @2330MHz (10x233)
> Need good help? Provide all system info with question.
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Hi Wes,

Yep found the files about 2hrs after posting, I should have said I guess.

Many thanks for the reply anyways.

Marcus