ABIT IC7 and weird reboots

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 3:05:41 AM

Hello,

I have been using this board for 2 years now I think, and except the
incident with the NB fan popping off last year, it has been rock solid.
However, it has been acting strangely lately, and while I thought first
it was an overheating problem, I think it is more than that.

The computer can stay on 24/7 for days, then I just hear a "pop" or
"snap" sound from inside the case, and the computer reboots. But on
reboot, it says the CPU is unworkable or has been changed... Entering
the BIOS is also sometimes difficult, pressin DEL only causes the board
to reboot. Sometimes it reboots while I am changing settings in the
BIOS, or looking at temps and voltages in the "health" page.

I haven't added or removed anything lately, the good quality PSU can
deliver 450W, which is more than enough for my machine (Prescott 3.2, 2
HDDs, 1 DVD drive, X800XT, 2x512 MB Corsair RAM).

I first thought it was a HDD problem, since sometimes on those reboot
occasions my 300GB Maxtor SATA drive wouldn't be detected at all, but
last night after 10 unsuccessful reboots the computer finally went to
the desktop, and allowed me to backup 80 GB to an external USB2 HDD.

On every successful reboot, Zone Alarm alerts me that it has found a
new network, and alerts me about every application trying to access the
internet.

The computer has been up again now for 9 hours, it is still serving my
website so I know it's on even if I am at work, but I fear the worst.

I terms of cooling, I use a home-bred watercooling system, made of
massive copper blocks from www.only4pro.com, and MBM5 reports idle temp
for the prescott 40-50 degrees C (idle-load). I also have a cooler on
the front of the case blowing straight to the HDDs, whose temps are
25-30C according to HDD thermometer, which reads SMART data. The case
is a huge Coolermaster Stacker. I opened the case and put a fan of the
Zalman passive NB heatsink, which is not even warm to touch.

There are no cables hanging aroung, no shortage of any kind, no dust,
capacitators look all clean and nice.

Should I get myself a new mobo ? Try a different PSU ? The fact that it
reboots itself while I let it with the BIOS page open makes me think it
has nothing to do with my windows installation or other software.

Any suggestion welcome !

Lorenzo
www.brokenbones.d2g.com

More about : abit ic7 weird reboots

July 15, 2005 12:24:27 PM

well, I have never heard a mobo make a snap sound but I sure have heard a
power supply do that. don't know if the CMOS settings are getting scrambled
as a result of the PSU sending out a surge or what. if it were to happen
again and not want to boot, the first thing I would do is clear the CMOS
with all power removed to see if you could then enter and set up the bios
settings with a minimum of effort.

the fact that it reboots while in the bios setup would, again, point to
either a problem on the mobo itself (incl. components mounted to the mobo
like CPU, etc.) or with the PSU. my money would be on the PSU. I have even
seen a surge from the PSU send the IDE hardware on the hard drive off into
limbo where it would not show up in the bios until power was completely
cycled, at least that was the conclusion I came to while troubleshooting.
replacing the PSU in that situation cleared everything up.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Lorenzo Sandini" <lorenzo.sandini@uku.fi> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been using this board for 2 years now I think, and except the
> incident with the NB fan popping off last year, it has been rock solid.
> However, it has been acting strangely lately, and while I thought first
> it was an overheating problem, I think it is more than that.
>
> The computer can stay on 24/7 for days, then I just hear a "pop" or
> "snap" sound from inside the case, and the computer reboots. But on
> reboot, it says the CPU is unworkable or has been changed... Entering
> the BIOS is also sometimes difficult, pressin DEL only causes the board
> to reboot. Sometimes it reboots while I am changing settings in the
> BIOS, or looking at temps and voltages in the "health" page.
>
> I haven't added or removed anything lately, the good quality PSU can
> deliver 450W, which is more than enough for my machine (Prescott 3.2, 2
> HDDs, 1 DVD drive, X800XT, 2x512 MB Corsair RAM).
>
> I first thought it was a HDD problem, since sometimes on those reboot
> occasions my 300GB Maxtor SATA drive wouldn't be detected at all, but
> last night after 10 unsuccessful reboots the computer finally went to
> the desktop, and allowed me to backup 80 GB to an external USB2 HDD.
>
> On every successful reboot, Zone Alarm alerts me that it has found a
> new network, and alerts me about every application trying to access the
> internet.
>
> The computer has been up again now for 9 hours, it is still serving my
> website so I know it's on even if I am at work, but I fear the worst.
>
> I terms of cooling, I use a home-bred watercooling system, made of
> massive copper blocks from www.only4pro.com, and MBM5 reports idle temp
> for the prescott 40-50 degrees C (idle-load). I also have a cooler on
> the front of the case blowing straight to the HDDs, whose temps are
> 25-30C according to HDD thermometer, which reads SMART data. The case
> is a huge Coolermaster Stacker. I opened the case and put a fan of the
> Zalman passive NB heatsink, which is not even warm to touch.
>
> There are no cables hanging aroung, no shortage of any kind, no dust,
> capacitators look all clean and nice.
>
> Should I get myself a new mobo ? Try a different PSU ? The fact that it
> reboots itself while I let it with the BIOS page open makes me think it
> has nothing to do with my windows installation or other software.
>
> Any suggestion welcome !
>
> Lorenzo
> www.brokenbones.d2g.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 5:46:20 PM

Lorenzo Sandini wrote in message...
> The computer can stay on 24/7 for days, then I just hear a "pop"
> or "snap" sound from inside the case, and the computer reboots.

Hmmm. Could be a number of things, but the most likely I'd suggest, given
what you've described, would be a fluctuation or intermittent fault in the
mains power side of the PSU. It sounds a bit like something's arcing or
shorting. Other thing to look at would be the two power connectors to the
motherboard, both the main one and the four pin ATX12v plug. Make sure none
of the pins/sockets or the plastic shells look blackened, distorted or
otherwise abnormal.

> I haven't added or removed anything lately, the good quality PSU
> can deliver 450W,

How old is it? Have you tried another one?

> I terms of cooling, I use a home-bred watercooling system, made
> of massive copper blocks from www.only4pro.com, and MBM5
> reports idle temp for the prescott 40-50 degrees C (idle-load).

If those are your *idle* temps, it doesn't appear as though the watercooling
system is hugely efficient. What numbers do you see when the processor is
fully loaded?

Also, what idle and loaded temps are reported by the motherboard's
northbridge and PWM sensors?

> Should I get myself a new mobo ?

Not at this stage.

> Try a different PSU ?

Definitely.

> The fact that it reboots itself while I let it with the BIOS page open
> makes me think it has nothing to do with my windows installation or
> other software.

Agreed.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 8:47:19 PM

Well Richard and Tom,

Thanks to both for your advice.

The "snap-pop" sound indeed points to a PSU problem. I'll definitely try
another one before putting too much money in a new board, since this one
is really running nicely, when it runs ;)

About the temperatures... well 40C is idle and 50-55C is during a long
Flight Simulator session. For a prescott I don't think it's too bad. I
am not an overclocker, and silence is more important to me than cooling
the CPU 2 degrees under 0 Kelvin.

For some reason I don't trust my PSU anymore...

Lorenzo

Richard Hopkins wrote:
> Lorenzo Sandini wrote in message...
>
>> The computer can stay on 24/7 for days, then I just hear a "pop"
>> or "snap" sound from inside the case, and the computer reboots.
>

> Hmmm. Could be a number of things, but the most likely I'd suggest,
> given what you've described, would be a fluctuation or intermittent
> fault in the mains power side of the PSU. It sounds a bit like
> something's arcing or shorting. Other thing to look at would be the two
> power connectors to the motherboard, both the main one and the four pin
> ATX12v plug. Make sure none of the pins/sockets or the plastic shells
> look blackened, distorted or otherwise abnormal.
>
>> I haven't added or removed anything lately, the good quality PSU
>> can deliver 450W,
>

> How old is it? Have you tried another one?
>
>> I terms of cooling, I use a home-bred watercooling system, made
>> of massive copper blocks from www.only4pro.com, and MBM5
>> reports idle temp for the prescott 40-50 degrees C (idle-load).
>

> If those are your *idle* temps, it doesn't appear as though the
> watercooling system is hugely efficient. What numbers do you see when
> the processor is fully loaded?
>
> Also, what idle and loaded temps are reported by the motherboard's
> northbridge and PWM sensors?
>
>> Should I get myself a new mobo ?
>

> Not at this stage.
>
>> Try a different PSU ?
>

> Definitely.
>
>> The fact that it reboots itself while I let it with the BIOS page open
>> makes me think it has nothing to do with my windows installation or
>> other software.
>

> Agreed.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 9:12:38 PM

On 14 Jul 2005 23:05:41 -0700, "Lorenzo Sandini"
<lorenzo.sandini@uku.fi> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been using this board for 2 years now I think, and except the
>incident with the NB fan popping off last year, it has been rock solid.
>However, it has been acting strangely lately, and while I thought first
>it was an overheating problem, I think it is more than that.
>
>The computer can stay on 24/7 for days, then I just hear a "pop" or
>"snap" sound from inside the case, and the computer reboots

The only circuitry within the computer that has enough voltage to go
pop-snap is the input circuitry of the power-supply and the pop-snap
is likely to be the sound of a momentary arc. And the reboot is
consistent with a momentary power-supply short. Surprising that the
power-supply fuse has not blown, but they may have installed a
slow-blow fuse. Check all power-supply to motherboard connectors for
loose or undamaged contacts. If OK, suggest replace the power-supply.

> But on
>reboot, it says the CPU is unworkable or has been changed...

Another pointer to the power-supply. The voltages to the motherboard
need to be applied in a particular sequence, controlled by the
power-supply A power-supply or intermittent interconnect fault is
likely to cause the motherboard's wierd behavior. A pop-snap is not a
characteristic sound of a failed motherboard interconnect - more like
a sizzle or no sound at all.

John Lewis

>Entering
>the BIOS is also sometimes difficult, pressin DEL only causes the board
>to reboot. Sometimes it reboots while I am changing settings in the
>BIOS, or looking at temps and voltages in the "health" page.
>
>I haven't added or removed anything lately, the good quality PSU can
>deliver 450W, which is more than enough for my machine (Prescott 3.2, 2
>HDDs, 1 DVD drive, X800XT, 2x512 MB Corsair RAM).
>
>I first thought it was a HDD problem, since sometimes on those reboot
>occasions my 300GB Maxtor SATA drive wouldn't be detected at all, but
>last night after 10 unsuccessful reboots the computer finally went to
>the desktop, and allowed me to backup 80 GB to an external USB2 HDD.
>
>On every successful reboot, Zone Alarm alerts me that it has found a
>new network, and alerts me about every application trying to access the
>internet.
>
>The computer has been up again now for 9 hours, it is still serving my
>website so I know it's on even if I am at work, but I fear the worst.
>
>I terms of cooling, I use a home-bred watercooling system, made of
>massive copper blocks from www.only4pro.com, and MBM5 reports idle temp
>for the prescott 40-50 degrees C (idle-load). I also have a cooler on
>the front of the case blowing straight to the HDDs, whose temps are
>25-30C according to HDD thermometer, which reads SMART data. The case
>is a huge Coolermaster Stacker. I opened the case and put a fan of the
>Zalman passive NB heatsink, which is not even warm to touch.
>
>There are no cables hanging aroung, no shortage of any kind, no dust,
>capacitators look all clean and nice.
>
>Should I get myself a new mobo ? Try a different PSU ? The fact that it
>reboots itself while I let it with the BIOS page open makes me think it
>has nothing to do with my windows installation or other software.
>
>Any suggestion welcome !
>
>Lorenzo
>www.brokenbones.d2g.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 10:54:36 PM

I'd also check that the plug to the power supply at the back of the machine
is in properly as this can give those exact symptoms too!

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 1:48:52 AM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:54:36 +0100, "Dion L Heap"
<NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:

>I'd also check that the plug to the power supply at the back of the machine
>is in properly as this can give those exact symptoms too!
>
>regards,
>
>Dion L Heap
>www.thetophouse.com

Indeed -- how right you are !!! The simple and obvious -- as I was
puzzling over why the power-supply fuse had not blown when I wrote my
reply to the OP.Thanks !! Hopefully the OP will find that was all that
was wrong.

Rotten US plug design. Three inserts/extractions and it is normally
ready to fall out. Similar to US wall-sockets. System-critical pro
equipment using this particular power-supply connector normally
comes with a screw-on U-shaped trap to ensure that the plug
does not loosen or fall out. A properly-design power-supply
interconnect would have a bayonet fitting.

Regards,

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 4:27:54 AM

Well, I'll be damned.

<shame>

Checked everything but not the power cord. And indeed it was half
unplugged. Pushed it in and now I am waiting to see if it was the only
thing causing the reboots.

</shame>

Lorenzo

John Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:54:36 +0100, "Dion L Heap"
> <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:
>

>>I'd also check that the plug to the power supply at the back of the machine
>>is in properly as this can give those exact symptoms too!
>>
>>regards,
>>
>>Dion L Heap
>>www.thetophouse.com
>>

> Indeed -- how right you are !!! The simple and obvious -- as I was
> puzzling over why the power-supply fuse had not blown when I wrote my
> reply to the OP.Thanks !! Hopefully the OP will find that was all that
> was wrong.
>
> Rotten US plug design. Three inserts/extractions and it is normally
> ready to fall out. Similar to US wall-sockets. System-critical pro
> equipment using this particular power-supply connector normally
> comes with a screw-on U-shaped trap to ensure that the plug
> does not loosen or fall out. A properly-design power-supply
> interconnect would have a bayonet fitting.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Lewis

July 21, 2005 4:27:55 AM

hey, stuff happens. we learn from it and move on. I can't begin to name
all of the things I've done that cause me to shake my head in wonder...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Lorenzo Sandini" <lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> wrote in message
> Well, I'll be damned.
>
> <shame>
>
> Checked everything but not the power cord. And indeed it was half
> unplugged. Pushed it in and now I am waiting to see if it was the only
> thing causing the reboots.
>
> </shame>
>
> Lorenzo
>

> John Lewis wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:54:36 +0100, "Dion L Heap"
>> <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:
>>

>>>I'd also check that the plug to the power supply at the back of the
>>>machine is in properly as this can give those exact symptoms too!
>>>
>>>regards,
>>>
>>>Dion L Heap
>>>www.thetophouse.com
>>>

>> Indeed -- how right you are !!! The simple and obvious -- as I was
>> puzzling over why the power-supply fuse had not blown when I wrote my
>> reply to the OP.Thanks !! Hopefully the OP will find that was all that
>> was wrong.
>>
>> Rotten US plug design. Three inserts/extractions and it is normally
>> ready to fall out. Similar to US wall-sockets. System-critical pro
>> equipment using this particular power-supply connector normally
>> comes with a screw-on U-shaped trap to ensure that the plug
>> does not loosen or fall out. A properly-design power-supply
>> interconnect would have a bayonet fitting.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John Lewis

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 5:37:31 AM

TomG wrote:

<snip>
| I can't begin to name all of the things I've done that cause
| me to shake my head in wonder...

<g>

We can't either (and, in our defense, it's not Alzheimer's).

Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 5:59:25 AM

"Lorenzo Sandini" <lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> wrote in message
> Well, I'll be damned.
>
> <shame>
>
> Checked everything but not the power cord. And indeed it was half
> unplugged. Pushed it in and now I am waiting to see if it was the only
> thing causing the reboots.

Holding my breath here now to see if it was the problem and I can be "da
man!"

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com
July 21, 2005 10:53:39 AM

yeah, I *knew* that would bring you out of the background... you lurker
you!

--

"JefN" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> TomG wrote:
>
> <snip>
> | I can't begin to name all of the things I've done that cause
> | me to shake my head in wonder...
>
> <g>
>
> We can't either (and, in our defense, it's not Alzheimer's).
>
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 7:18:05 PM

TomG wrote:

| yeah, I *knew* that would bring you out of the background... you lurker
| you!
|
| ..
|
| Thomas Geery
| Network+ certified
|
| Due to a rat in da hood,
| no longer running servers on Cox...
|
| (even though someone turned me in,
| what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

Hey Tom -

Well, ya know, this place has been too quiet lately. Almost no posts to
even respond to "on-topic"... so when a foot appears so nicely inserted in
mouth, well... you know the rest.

Or maybe you don't (that Alzheimer's thingy again).

Just another Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® (but not ratting anyone out),
Jef

p.s. Sorry to hear of the death-knell of your servers. Damn Rulez' in 'Da
HooD!
July 22, 2005 12:55:10 AM

yeah, I think I know how it happened (the servers, that is...). I joined a
Yahoo! Group on LG VX6100 cell phones and unbeknownst to me, the moderator
had a rule that all posters had to sign their posts. that and the fact that
I told him that a tutorial that he had posted in the group was not a
tutorial and the next thing I knew, he banned me from the group!

so I emailed him and told him he took himself a little too seriously and
ought to lighten up a little and allow for dissenting (but respectfully
posted) opinions.

right after that, a "complaint" was made. I guess I made my bed, now I
gotta lay in it... my BAD!

--

"Lurking Rat in Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:N0PDe.1577$Fk4.601@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | yeah, I *knew* that would bring you out of the background... you lurker
> | you!
> |
> | ..
> |
> | Thomas Geery
> | Network+ certified
> |
> | Due to a rat in da hood,
> | no longer running servers on Cox...
> |
> | (even though someone turned me in,
> | what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
> |

> Hey Tom -
>
> Well, ya know, this place has been too quiet lately. Almost no posts to
> even respond to "on-topic"... so when a foot appears so nicely inserted in
> mouth, well... you know the rest.
>
> Or maybe you don't (that Alzheimer's thingy again).
>
> Just another Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® (but not ratting anyone out),
> Jef
>

> p.s. Sorry to hear of the death-knell of your servers. Damn Rulez' in
> 'Da
> HooD!

July 22, 2005 12:55:30 AM

by the way, like your headers....

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Lurking Rat in Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:N0PDe.1577$Fk4.601@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | yeah, I *knew* that would bring you out of the background... you lurker
> | you!
> |
> | ..
> |
> | Thomas Geery
> | Network+ certified
> |
> | Due to a rat in da hood,
> | no longer running servers on Cox...
> |
> | (even though someone turned me in,
> | what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
> |

> Hey Tom -
>
> Well, ya know, this place has been too quiet lately. Almost no posts to
> even respond to "on-topic"... so when a foot appears so nicely inserted in
> mouth, well... you know the rest.
>
> Or maybe you don't (that Alzheimer's thingy again).
>
> Just another Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® (but not ratting anyone out),
> Jef
>

> p.s. Sorry to hear of the death-knell of your servers. Damn Rulez' in
> 'Da
> HooD!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 5:23:05 AM

TomG wrote:

| by the way, like your headers....

Blush!

Back to Bird Janitor on all three machines for a while... (molting season)

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 5:27:46 AM

TomG wrote:

| yeah, I think I know how it happened (the servers, that is...). I joined
| Yahoo! Group on LG VX6100 cell phones and unbeknownst to me, the
| moderator had a rule that all posters had to sign their posts. that and
the
| fact that I told him that a tutorial that he had posted in the group was
not
| a tutorial and the next thing I knew, he banned me from the group!
|
| so I emailed him and told him he took himself a little too seriously and
| ought to lighten up a little and allow for dissenting (but respectfully
| posted) opinions.
|
| right after that, a "complaint" was made. I guess I made my bed, now I
| gotta lay in it... my BAD!

Never heard of such a thing! A forum Nazi! Sheesh!

But, nonetheless, I actually like getting laid in my bed. ;-)

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 8:16:51 AM

Shorts are removed, BTW.

It's sweltering here.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 22, 2005 5:01:21 PM

LOL! yeah, I reckon you DO like getting laid in your bed! I kinda enjoy
that, too! (not by you, of course! {gotta keep that clear, right here and
now!})

I hear your bird calling you...

--

"Bird Janitor" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | yeah, I think I know how it happened (the servers, that is...). I
> joined
> | Yahoo! Group on LG VX6100 cell phones and unbeknownst to me, the
> | moderator had a rule that all posters had to sign their posts. that and
> the
> | fact that I told him that a tutorial that he had posted in the group was
> not
> | a tutorial and the next thing I knew, he banned me from the group!
> |
> | so I emailed him and told him he took himself a little too seriously and
> | ought to lighten up a little and allow for dissenting (but respectfully
> | posted) opinions.
> |
> | right after that, a "complaint" was made. I guess I made my bed, now I
> | gotta lay in it... my BAD!
> |

> Never heard of such a thing! A forum Nazi! Sheesh!
>
> But, nonetheless, I actually like getting laid in my bed. ;-)
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

July 22, 2005 5:01:52 PM

TOO much info! how's the hippo pool?

--

> Shorts are removed, BTW.
>
> It's sweltering here.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 10:35:41 PM

TomG wrote:

| LOL! yeah, I reckon you DO like getting laid in your bed! I kinda enjoy
| that, too! (not by you, of course! {gotta keep that clear, right here
and
| now!})
|
| I hear your bird calling you...

Funny .. Miguel doesn't like getting laid by me either.

Just curious: You let your sheep in your bed?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 22, 2005 10:35:42 PM

only when the wife is outta town...

--

message news:10bEe.5906$_%4.4846@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | LOL! yeah, I reckon you DO like getting laid in your bed! I kinda
> enjoy
> | that, too! (not by you, of course! {gotta keep that clear, right here
> and
> | now!})
> |
> | I hear your bird calling you...
> |

> Funny .. Miguel doesn't like getting laid by me either.
>
> Just curious: You let your sheep in your bed?
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 10:49:00 PM

TomG wrote:

| TOO much info! how's the hippo pool?

Tom .. have some more information:

I sent the hippos packing after spending more than 250 hours cleaning out
the mud and crud.

The city of Burbank wasn't too happy with me running that much mud down the
road .. but it was *their* mud. I tore down the filter so I could use a
nifty vacuum head I made from PVC plumbing parts and pumped the mud right
through the filter housing and out the backwash.

You wouldn't have believed my water bills in April and May from having the
water running four or five hours solid each day to replace the water I'd
pumped out with the mud. I couldn't simply drain it because hydrostatic
pressure from the high water table might have "popped" it up from the ground
had it been empty for any length of time.

The pool is pristine and 85°F .. almost too warm to be refreshing .. but,
with the incinerating heat and humidity we've been having the last several
days, a quick dip at 3:00 a.m., sans shorts of course, helps to keep me from
sweating right through the mattress.

Maybe, some day, I'll look into having the air conditioning system rebuilt
in this 82 year old house.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 22, 2005 10:49:01 PM

Cool! (or warm, as the case may be...) glad the hippo pool is now a bird
janitor pool... fix da AC!!!

--

message news:wcbEe.5909$_%4.1891@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | TOO much info! how's the hippo pool?
> |

> Tom .. have some more information:
>
> I sent the hippos packing after spending more than 250 hours cleaning out
> the mud and crud.
>
> The city of Burbank wasn't too happy with me running that much mud down
> the
> road .. but it was *their* mud. I tore down the filter so I could use a
> nifty vacuum head I made from PVC plumbing parts and pumped the mud right
> through the filter housing and out the backwash.
>
> You wouldn't have believed my water bills in April and May from having the
> water running four or five hours solid each day to replace the water I'd
> pumped out with the mud. I couldn't simply drain it because hydrostatic
> pressure from the high water table might have "popped" it up from the
> ground
> had it been empty for any length of time.
>
> The pool is pristine and 85°F .. almost too warm to be refreshing .. but,
> with the incinerating heat and humidity we've been having the last several
> days, a quick dip at 3:00 a.m., sans shorts of course, helps to keep me
> from
> sweating right through the mattress.
>
> Maybe, some day, I'll look into having the air conditioning system rebuilt
> in this 82 year old house.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 5:20:51 AM

TomG wrote:

| only when the wife is outta town...

Okay then... which side of the bed does the sheep sleep on? Yours or hers?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 8:19:20 AM

TomG wrote:

| Cool! (or warm, as the case may be...) glad the hippo pool is now a bird
| janitor pool... fix da AC!!!

AC sorta works dude. The electric meter spins wildly because the AC system
needs recharging and it's "old school" freon.

Need to have the AC condenser unit replaced with something much more modern.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 23, 2005 9:22:50 PM

hers, of course! I just gotta clean things up a bit before she gets back!

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | only when the wife is outta town...
> |

> Okay then... which side of the bed does the sheep sleep on? Yours or
> hers?
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

July 23, 2005 9:24:19 PM

ah! they'll still charge that old school stuff back up, won't they? long
as there isn't any kind of major leak or something...

--

message news:czjEe.20187$NU2.15992@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | Cool! (or warm, as the case may be...) glad the hippo pool is now a
> bird
> | janitor pool... fix da AC!!!
> |

> AC sorta works dude. The electric meter spins wildly because the AC
> system
> needs recharging and it's "old school" freon.
>
> Need to have the AC condenser unit replaced with something much more
> modern.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 8:35:15 AM

TomG wrote:

| hers, of course! I just gotta clean things up a bit before she gets back!

Be sure to spray copious amounts of Febreze® on the wife's side of the
bed... If it can get my stinky obese cat's aroma from my bed, imagine what
it can do for sheep!

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 8:40:33 AM

TomG wrote:

| ah! they'll still charge that old school stuff back up, won't they?
| long as there isn't any kind of major leak or something...

Word!

Old skul stuff still available, but the buks is too much!

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 10:06:45 AM

Bird Janitor wrote:

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | hers, of course! I just gotta clean things up a bit before she gets back!
> |

> Be sure to spray copious amounts of Febreze® on the wife's side of the
> bed... If it can get my stinky obese cat's aroma from my bed, imagine what
> it can do for sheep!

Nah !!
Thats a =bad= Snake Ranch solution ...
Bummer !!

As with T_shirts ...
turn 'em inside-out, or 'over', ...
use the "other" clean side.

Qed.
July 24, 2005 12:58:47 PM

*excellent* suggestion {slinks off to buy a can...}

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | hers, of course! I just gotta clean things up a bit before she gets
> back!
> |

> Be sure to spray copious amounts of Febreze® on the wife's side of the
> bed... If it can get my stinky obese cat's aroma from my bed, imagine
> what
> it can do for sheep!
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

July 24, 2005 12:59:13 PM

but they still stink even though the dirt is on the inside!

--

"0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
> Bird Janitor wrote:
>>
>> TomG wrote:
>> |
>> | hers, of course! I just gotta clean things up a bit before she gets
>> back!
>> |

>> Be sure to spray copious amounts of Febreze® on the wife's side of the
>> bed... If it can get my stinky obese cat's aroma from my bed, imagine
>> what
>> it can do for sheep!
>
> Nah !!
> Thats a =bad= Snake Ranch solution ...
> Bummer !!
>
> As with T_shirts ...
> turn 'em inside-out, or 'over', ...
> use the "other" clean side.
>
> Qed.
July 24, 2005 12:59:52 PM

LOL! you playin' da role real well, Rat!

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | ah! they'll still charge that old school stuff back up, won't they?
> | long as there isn't any kind of major leak or something...
> |

> Word!
>
> Old skul stuff still available, but the buks is too much!
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 6:43:00 PM

Qed wrote:

| Nah !!
| Thats a =bad= Snake Ranch solution ...
| Bummer !!
|
| As with T_shirts ...
| turn 'em inside-out, or 'over', ...
| use the "other" clean side.
|
| Qed.

And when both sides are used, clean 'em up in the washroom facilities at The
Pit® ...
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bathroom.jpg

(couldn't resist)

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 6:54:48 PM

TomG wrote:

| but they still stink even though the dirt is on the inside!

What difference does it make? *YOU* still smell like the sheep.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 10:51:47 PM

Bird Janitor wrote:
> What difference does it make? *YOU* still smell like the sheep.

I didnt know that you were able to interchangeably 'p&m'
with either 'set'.

Good move.

Qed.
July 25, 2005 1:43:29 AM

uh, good point!

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | but they still stink even though the dirt is on the inside!
> |

> What difference does it make? *YOU* still smell like the sheep.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 7:19:54 AM

TomG wrote:

| uh, good point!

I know there was no good in suggesting you take a shower.

Besides .. if you smell like the scene of the crime, maybe there's actually
no evidence that a crime was ever committed.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 25, 2005 5:56:46 PM

crime? what crime?

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | uh, good point!
> |

> I know there was no good in suggesting you take a shower.
>
> Besides .. if you smell like the scene of the crime, maybe there's
> actually
> no evidence that a crime was ever committed.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 10:25:00 PM

TomG wrote:

| crime? what crime?

My point exactly.

Just stay off my furniture. Febreze® works... but why should I spend the
money when I can just have you sit in the yard with your drinks.

You'll note that nowhere did I ever suggest you take a shower after your
frisky rollicking with the sheep.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 27, 2005 10:38:27 AM

wouldn't want to take a shower, that ruins the ability to savor the aroma
over time...

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | crime? what crime?
> |

> My point exactly.
>
> Just stay off my furniture. Febreze® works... but why should I spend the
> money when I can just have you sit in the yard with your drinks.
>
> You'll note that nowhere did I ever suggest you take a shower after your
> frisky rollicking with the sheep.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2005 6:47:37 PM

TomG wrote:

| wouldn't want to take a shower, that ruins the ability to savor the
| aroma over time...

And that's part of why I responded that you'll enjoy your martinis in the
yard. To savor the ambience of the environment of the act over time...

That .. and I don't want my furniture ruined (again).

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 27, 2005 8:38:57 PM

I can take a hint...

--

news:D 8NFe.7384$_%4.5434@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | wouldn't want to take a shower, that ruins the ability to savor the
> | aroma over time...
> |

> And that's part of why I responded that you'll enjoy your martinis in the
> yard. To savor the ambience of the environment of the act over time...
>
> That .. and I don't want my furniture ruined (again).
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 4:31:03 AM

Took a bit to answer, but I am sorry to tell you it did not cure the
problem in the end.

However I have solved it now. Looking closely to the PSU, I noticed it
is a Fortron 350W (!!!) rated 400W since it supports shorts peaks. Argh.
But how did do so well with all the same hardware for so long ??? In
terms of noise it was almost perfect as long as I was using a northwood
CPU, the prescott caused it to warm up and its 12cm started spinning
like mad to keep it cool. But it worked fine for months, at least since
last x-mas.

So I went out for a more powerful PSU, and came home with a be-quiet
520W PSU (http://www.be-quiet.de/english_flash/index.htm). Well believe
it or not, same symptoms... nice PSU though.

In my little town of Kotka/Finland there aren't many computer hardware
stores that keep i875P motherboards on the shelves, so I made a few
calls and I found an ASUS P4P800-SE that I quickly swapped with the IC7,
hoping that winXP would boot and detect the new chipset and
components... the MBR is on a standard IDE ATA100 drive, I dual boot and
the current OS on a separate SATA drive!

And so it did, in a few minutes new drivers installed, and my machine is
working fine, as it should always have. Moreover, even when using the
CPU at 100%, the 2 fans in the PSU still spin at minimal speed and are
completely silent :) )

The fix wasn't cheap, but now I have a spare silent Fortron 350W PSU
that I need anyway for a small project, and a new mobo, maybe a tad
slower but loaded with a few options that I didn't have before (4 SATA
drives, RAID, gigabit ehternet, 1-year warranty).

Thanks for your suggestions and remarks, the IC7, after serving reliably
for months goes into retirement.

Lorenzo

Dion L Heap wrote:
> "Lorenzo Sandini" <lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> wrote in message
>
>>Well, I'll be damned.
>>
>><shame>
>>
>>Checked everything but not the power cord. And indeed it was half
>>unplugged. Pushed it in and now I am waiting to see if it was the only
>>thing causing the reboots.
>

> Holding my breath here now to see if it was the problem and I can be "da
> man!"
>
> regards,
>
> Dion L Heap
> www.thetophouse.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 9:27:22 AM

TomG wrote:

| I can take a hint...

You may be able to take a hint... but 'ya know... even my stinky obese cat
wouldn't sit where you did!

If she had fingers, I'm sure I know what she would have been doing...

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 28, 2005 10:51:05 AM

um, holding her pug nose?

--

message news:_0_Fe.1680$kk6.594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | I can take a hint...
> |

> You may be able to take a hint... but 'ya know... even my stinky obese cat
> wouldn't sit where you did!
>
> If she had fingers, I'm sure I know what she would have been doing...
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 11:59:06 AM

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® wrote:
> You may be able to take a hint... but 'ya know... even my stinky obese cat
> wouldn't sit where you did!
> If she had fingers, I'm sure I know what she would have been doing...

Ohhh ... Ohhh ... Ohhh ...
thats nasty ... impolite at best.
Where are your "manners" ???

Does "he" really smell that bad ???
Even up_wind, some 2500 miles ???

That 'awesome', doncha think ???

Qed.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 6:44:18 PM

TomG wrote:

| um, holding her pug nose?

That .. and maybe a little scratch and sniff.

I did say she was stinky, didn't I?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 28, 2005 6:44:19 PM