Win XP64 worth the outlay at the moment??

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Looking at building a new system soon around the non-SLI abit fatality
board, XP3700+ chip and a 7800GTX. I dont run any other hardware inside the
PC as I mainly use it for gaming. Ive checked my perips and XP64 drivers
prob aren't going to be release. Is it worth going to XP64? or am I better
off just getting XP pro? There is little price difference in the oem
versions. Would I see any performance benefits over XP32?

Also I have some very good, but old, OCZ cas2 pc3200 ram in 2 x 256Mb setup
(runs dual channel no probs). I also have 2x512Mb of cas3 pc3200 generic
ram. What would be best to use?

Thanks for any helpfull replies

Chris

In article <dbh3mn$7vf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, Chris
says...
> Looking at building a new system soon around the non-SLI abit fatality
> board, XP3700+ chip and a 7800GTX. I dont run any other hardware inside the
> PC as I mainly use it for gaming. Ive checked my perips and XP64 drivers
> prob aren't going to be release. Is it worth going to XP64? or am I better
> off just getting XP pro? There is little price difference in the oem
> versions. Would I see any performance benefits over XP32?

Wait 6 months. Yeah you can go Winx64 but there's not alot of software
out there yet.

--
Conor

"Chris" <karen.christiaan@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Looking at building a new system soon around the non-SLI abit fatality
> board, XP3700+ chip and a 7800GTX. I dont run any other hardware inside
> the PC as I mainly use it for gaming. Ive checked my perips and XP64
> drivers prob aren't going to be release. Is it worth going to XP64? or am
> I better off just getting XP pro? There is little price difference in the
> oem versions. Would I see any performance benefits over XP32?
>
> Also I have some very good, but old, OCZ cas2 pc3200 ram in 2 x 256Mb
> setup (runs dual channel no probs). I also have 2x512Mb of cas3 pc3200
> generic ram. What would be best to use?
>
> Thanks for any helpfull replies
>
> Chris

The purpose of any 64bit OS is to host 64bit apps. The vast majority of
application and utilities are designed for 32 bit.

It could be argued that todays 32 bit hardware is already overkill for the
mundane activities, such as word proccesing or surfing (although the latter
could change once we get 3d browers with clever graphics).

So your left with activities which push todays hardware to the limit.
Modern 3d games would benefit but how long before we get 64 bit games?
Another is video procesing. Again though we need 64 bit video editors to
benefit from a 64 bit os.

So my answer would be look at what you use your PC for and check if 64 bit
apps are available (and you can afford them!). Otherwise stick with 32 bit.