CPU problem

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing I get the
following alternating messages on start-up.

CMOS checksum error
CPU is unworkable

have I done anything wrong or forgotten to do something, I built the PC from
scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no idea what is wrong now.
the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am supposed to be replacing with an
XP2000+ although boot up does not confirm this. Also underneath the original
CPU is an array of chips, on the replacement there are none, is this a
factor. Problem is though I am getting same messages with original CPU in
place.
HELP!!!

retro_cal wrote:

|I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing
| I get the following alternating messages on start-up.
|
| CMOS checksum error
| CPU is unworkable
|
| have I done anything wrong or forgotten to do something, I built the
| PC from scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no idea
| what is wrong now. the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am
| supposed to be replacing with an XP2000+ although boot up does
| not confirm this. Also underneath the original CPU is an array of chips,
| on the replacement there are none, is this a factor. Problem is though
| I am getting same messages with original CPU in place.
| HELP!!!

Press DEL at the POST screen. Select Load Optimized Defaults from the menu.

Then go into Softmenu III Setup and check to ensure that your CPU and memory
are properly detected. If your CPU is properly detected, you're good to
then enter the rest of your BIOS settings to configure for your hardware.
If not, check Abit's website for a BIOS update which will address support
for your CPU.

You don't mention your motherboard model .. big faux pas in asking for help
... so there's no way to comment whether or not your board supports your new
CPU.

Jef

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Apologies! mobo is Abit KR7A-Raid and afaik, it supports the chip which I
incorrectly said was a 2000+. It is in actual fact a 2400+.

"Bird Janitor" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> retro_cal wrote:
> |
> |I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing
> | I get the following alternating messages on start-up.
> |
> | CMOS checksum error
> | CPU is unworkable
> |
> | have I done anything wrong or forgotten to do something, I built the
> | PC from scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no idea
> | what is wrong now. the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am
> | supposed to be replacing with an XP2000+ although boot up does
> | not confirm this. Also underneath the original CPU is an array of chips,
> | on the replacement there are none, is this a factor. Problem is though
> | I am getting same messages with original CPU in place.
> | HELP!!!
> |

> Press DEL at the POST screen. Select Load Optimized Defaults from the
> menu.
>
> Then go into Softmenu III Setup and check to ensure that your CPU and
> memory
> are properly detected. If your CPU is properly detected, you're good to
> then enter the rest of your BIOS settings to configure for your hardware.
> If not, check Abit's website for a BIOS update which will address support
> for your CPU.
>
> You don't mention your motherboard model .. big faux pas in asking for
> help
> .. so there's no way to comment whether or not your board supports your
> new
> CPU.
>
> Jef

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

retro_cal, <elvis@graceland.net>, the ruminant, gestational garbage can, and
mangle wringer, chatted:

> I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing I
> get the following alternating messages on start-up.
>
> CMOS checksum error
> CPU is unworkable
>
> have I done anything wrong or forgotten to do something, I built the
> PC from scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no idea what
> is wrong now. the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am supposed to be
> replacing with an XP2000+ although boot up does not confirm this.
> Also underneath the original CPU is an array of chips, on the
> replacement there are none, is this a factor. Problem is though I am
> getting same messages with original CPU in place.
> HELP!!!

I assume it's an Abit motherboard.
You'll need to make sure the version of BIOS you have installed supports the
2000+. You'll want to go into the BIOS and select the appropriate
parameters for your original CPU if you want that to work. You are aware
that the 1600 and 2000 doesn't directly reflect the cpu clock speed, aren't
you?

is but a dream within a dream.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Oh yes I am well aware that the clock speed is different to the chip
> designation. But shouldn't the board automatically recognise the CPU?

Some BIOSes (well, all of them that I've seen) don't recognize a change
in CPU to initiate a refresh or change of the BIOS settings saved from
the EEPROM into the table in the CMOS. You need to reset your CMOS to
force the [default] settings get read from the BIOS and then customize
again. Usually there is a jumper (a 2-pin header on the motherboard)
that you short: turn off the power, short the jumper for a minute,
remove the jumper, reboot, and go into the BIOS screens.

ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/kr7a.pdf
page 2.13
3-pin header for CMOS reset

retro_cal wrote:

| Apologies! mobo is Abit KR7A-Raid and afaik, it supports the chip which I
| incorrectly said was a 2000+. It is in actual fact a 2400+.

With BIOS revision 7G (many releases old):

1. Support AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and
0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.

Newer revisions, up to CX, which is the latest, don't add any additional
processor support.

So, from the Horse's mouth, looks like you're limited to a 2100+ Palomino or
a 2000+ Thoroughbred unless the multipliers are there for you to manually
enter your FSB and multiplier in Softmenu III Setup.

See:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KR7A-RAID&fMTYPE=Socket%20A&pPRODINFO=BIOS

Jef

retro_cal wrote:
> I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing I get the
> following alternating messages on start-up.
>
> CMOS checksum error
> CPU is unworkable

Have you by any chance used the Clear_CMOS-jumper and forgotten to put
it back in original position, or somehow shorted out the battery?

retro_cal wrote:

> I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing I get the
> following alternating messages on start-up.
>
> CMOS checksum error

You probably worked on it while it was still plugged into the wall outlet.

Whatever, and at any rate, it's simply telling you the CMOS parameters were
lost, which is why the checksum doesn't add up.

Go into BIOS, enter the correct values for your system (or select defaults)
and save.

> CPU is unworkable

The parameters in BIOS do not match the processor. Put the right ones in
and save.

> have I done anything wrong

The box should be unplugged, or turned off at the PSU entry point (if yours
has a switch there... some don't), before working inside as there is still
standby power on the motherboard even when the PC is 'off'.

> or forgotten to do something,

Yes, BIOS setup.

> I built the PC from
> scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no idea what is wrong now.
> the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am supposed to be replacing with an
> XP2000+ although boot up does not confirm this. Also underneath the original
> CPU is an array of chips, on the replacement there are none, is this a
> factor.

no

> Problem is though I am getting same messages with original CPU in
> place.

Because BIOS lost it's parameters while you were messing around inside so
it's not configured for either processor now.

In article <dEPDe.4349$Hd4.2251@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
elvis@graceland.net says...

> Oh yes I am well aware that the clock speed is different to the chip
> designation. But shouldn't the board automatically recognise the CPU?

You'll have to clear the cmos first. (Lil jumper next to the battery,
make absolutely sure you've disconnected the computer from the grid
entirely or turned the powersupply OFF before you do it).

-P.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Cheers David, you answered best. Although I did realise most of what I
hadn't done after a while.
Thanks all for you replies

retro_cal wrote:

> Cheers David, you answered best. Although I did realise most of what I
> hadn't done after a while.

No sweat. I usually remember what I did wrong later too... mainly because
if I remembered before I wouldn't do it ;)

> Thanks all for you replies
>

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>retro_cal wrote:
>>

>>>I have attempted to change the CPU in my PC but after installing I get
>>>the following alternating messages on start-up.
>>>
>>>CMOS checksum error
>>
>>You probably worked on it while it was still plugged into the wall outlet.
>>
>>Whatever, and at any rate, it's simply telling you the CMOS parameters
>>were lost, which is why the checksum doesn't add up.
>>
>>Go into BIOS, enter the correct values for your system (or select
>>defaults) and save.
>>

>>>CPU is unworkable
>>
>>The parameters in BIOS do not match the processor. Put the right ones in
>>and save.
>>

>>>have I done anything wrong
>>
>>The box should be unplugged, or turned off at the PSU entry point (if
>>yours has a switch there... some don't), before working inside as there is
>>still standby power on the motherboard even when the PC is 'off'.
>>

>>>or forgotten to do something,
>>
>>Yes, BIOS setup.
>>

>>>I built the PC from scratch a few years ago with no problem so have no
>>>idea what is wrong now. the CPU was an Athlon XP1600+ and I am supposed
>>>to be replacing with an XP2000+ although boot up does not confirm this.
>>>Also underneath the original CPU is an array of chips, on the replacement
>>>there are none, is this a factor.
>>
>>no
>>

>>>Problem is though I am getting same messages with original CPU in place.
>>
>>Because BIOS lost it's parameters while you were messing around inside so
>>it's not configured for either processor now.
>>

>>>HELP!!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Thanks all for your replies! much appreciated, I now realsie what I hadn't
done in order to finish the installation!

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

> Thanks all for your replies! much appreciated, I now realsie what I
> hadn't done in order to finish the installation!

It must've been a boner since you aren't telling.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Just, what everyone else has suggested.