No boot on a V17 after installing more RAM

Hi,
After installing a new RAM, my pc doesn't boot and do a terrible sound of
approxymately 10 seconds and there is no screen, all the front leds are on
and nothing happends. I removed the new RAM and the same thing continue.
Do you know where is the problem? Do i need to change my mainboard which is
a V17, or the processor? (i also all removed except the processor and the
mainboard, and, same thing.)
Thanks for your help.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

not familiar with that specific mobo but with any luck, you just bumped
something when you were in there working. you have to have a CPU, ram and a
video card to get booted.

assuming you didn't flex the mobo excessively when you were trying to
install the new ram and, assuming you did not make hardware changes while
having standby power available to the board (you did remove *all* power,
right?), then I would reseat video and ram, as well as power connections and
see if things start up.

make a note of whether the CPU fan and any other fans spin up and hard
drives, whether they spin up as well.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
> After installing a new RAM, my pc doesn't boot and do a terrible sound of
> approxymately 10 seconds and there is no screen, all the front leds are on
> and nothing happends. I removed the new RAM and the same thing continue.
> Do you know where is the problem? Do i need to change my mainboard which
> is a V17, or the processor? (i also all removed except the processor and
> the mainboard, and, same thing.)
> Thanks for your help.

Hello

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
QxXDe.65738$R21.55969@lakeread06...
> not familiar with that specific mobo but with any luck, you just bumped
> something when you were in there working. you have to have a CPU, ram and
> a video card to get booted.

I have all these things (i have plugged only that for a test) and the mobo,
doesn't boot, singing a long beep and the led of the hard disk is always
blink but nothing appears.

> assuming you didn't flex the mobo excessively when you were trying to
> install the new ram and, assuming you did not make hardware changes while
> having standby power available to the board (you did remove *all* power,
> right?), then I would reseat video and ram, as well as power connections
> and see if things start up.

I have removed power before installing the new ram, i don't want to be
electrocuted. I also remove all the power connections from the power
alimentation. I clear the CMOS, i do all the things i can do, but the sound
continue and is very annoying me, i have some important files on my hard
disks, but it doesn't seem to be touched...

> make a note of whether the CPU fan and any other fans spin up and hard
> drives, whether they spin up as well.

The CPU fans are working and hard drives spin up...

> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> Due to a rat in da hood,
> no longer running servers on Cox...
>
> (even though someone turned me in,
> what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
>

> "Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> After installing a new RAM, my pc doesn't boot and do a terrible sound of
>> approxymately 10 seconds and there is no screen, all the front leds are
>> on and nothing happends. I removed the new RAM and the same thing
>> continue.
>> Do you know where is the problem? Do i need to change my mainboard which
>> is a V17, or the processor? (i also all removed except the processor and
>> the mainboard, and, same thing.)
>> Thanks for your help.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

long beeps like that can be a poor connection to the video card, or a few
other things such as an issue with ram. a voltage or temperature issue is
usually a two-tone, high-low alarm.

--

> Hello
>
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> QxXDe.65738$R21.55969@lakeread06...
>> not familiar with that specific mobo but with any luck, you just bumped
>> something when you were in there working. you have to have a CPU, ram
>> and a video card to get booted.
>
> I have all these things (i have plugged only that for a test) and the
> mobo, doesn't boot, singing a long beep and the led of the hard disk is
> always blink but nothing appears.
>
>> assuming you didn't flex the mobo excessively when you were trying to
>> install the new ram and, assuming you did not make hardware changes while
>> having standby power available to the board (you did remove *all* power,
>> right?), then I would reseat video and ram, as well as power connections
>> and see if things start up.
>
> I have removed power before installing the new ram, i don't want to be
> electrocuted. I also remove all the power connections from the power
> alimentation. I clear the CMOS, i do all the things i can do, but the
> sound continue and is very annoying me, i have some important files on my
> hard disks, but it doesn't seem to be touched...
>
>> make a note of whether the CPU fan and any other fans spin up and hard
>> drives, whether they spin up as well.
>
> The CPU fans are working and hard drives spin up...
>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> Due to a rat in da hood,
>> no longer running servers on Cox...
>>
>> (even though someone turned me in,
>> what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
>>

>> "Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> After installing a new RAM, my pc doesn't boot and do a terrible sound
>>> of approxymately 10 seconds and there is no screen, all the front leds
>>> are on and nothing happends. I removed the new RAM and the same thing
>>> continue.
>>> Do you know where is the problem? Do i need to change my mainboard which
>>> is a V17, or the processor? (i also all removed except the processor and
>>> the mainboard, and, same thing.)
>>> Thanks for your help.

Also after removed the bad RAM, i cannot boot again...
Same things long beep, removed the video card, cpu, all drives, ram also,
init the cmos. Nothing solved the problem. On sunday, the PC worked fine
without the newest ram.

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
cJ9Ee.65759$R21.35466@lakeread06...
> long beeps like that can be a poor connection to the video card, or a few
> other things such as an issue with ram. a voltage or temperature issue is
> usually a two-tone, high-low alarm.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> Due to a rat in da hood,
> no longer running servers on Cox...
>
> (even though someone turned me in,
> what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
>

> "Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> QxXDe.65738$R21.55969@lakeread06...
>>> not familiar with that specific mobo but with any luck, you just bumped
>>> something when you were in there working. you have to have a CPU, ram
>>> and a video card to get booted.
>>
>> I have all these things (i have plugged only that for a test) and the
>> mobo, doesn't boot, singing a long beep and the led of the hard disk is
>> always blink but nothing appears.
>>
>>> assuming you didn't flex the mobo excessively when you were trying to
>>> install the new ram and, assuming you did not make hardware changes
>>> while having standby power available to the board (you did remove *all*
>>> power, right?), then I would reseat video and ram, as well as power
>>> connections and see if things start up.
>>
>> I have removed power before installing the new ram, i don't want to be
>> electrocuted. I also remove all the power connections from the power
>> alimentation. I clear the CMOS, i do all the things i can do, but the
>> sound continue and is very annoying me, i have some important files on my
>> hard disks, but it doesn't seem to be touched...
>>
>>> make a note of whether the CPU fan and any other fans spin up and hard
>>> drives, whether they spin up as well.
>>
>> The CPU fans are working and hard drives spin up...
>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thomas Geery
>>> Network+ certified
>>>
>>> Due to a rat in da hood,
>>> no longer running servers on Cox...
>>>
>>> (even though someone turned me in,
>>> what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
>>>

>>> "Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

well, you had a working system when you started. if you didn't work on it
with power applied (standby power or whatever...) and if you didn't flex the
mobo excessively or accidentally damage any circuit runs with a screwdriver
or something like that, then the problem *should* be correctable.

start by removing the mobo from the case and trying to boot on a safe work
surface with only the cpu, heat sink, RAM and a video card installed. of
course, connect the power supply (both connectors if this system uses them)
but leave all other front panel and hard drive ribbons disconnected. no KB
or mouse plugged in either.

try shorting the two power on pins with a screwdriver or other metallic
object and see if the system boots. if it does, then you can try to
reinstall it into the case.

--

> Also after removed the bad RAM, i cannot boot again...
> Same things long beep, removed the video card, cpu, all drives, ram also,
> init the cmos. Nothing solved the problem. On sunday, the PC worked fine
> without the newest ram.
>
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> cJ9Ee.65759$R21.35466@lakeread06...
>> long beeps like that can be a poor connection to the video card, or a few
>> other things such as an issue with ram. a voltage or temperature issue
>> is usually a two-tone, high-low alarm.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> Due to a rat in da hood,
>> no longer running servers on Cox...
>>
>> (even though someone turned me in,
>> what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
>>

>> "Gildar en fazer" <gildasb@trèspeupourmoi.bouygtel.fr> wrote in message
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>> QxXDe.65738$R21.55969@lakeread06...
>>>
>>> I have all these things (i have plugged only that for a test) and the
>>> mobo, doesn't boot, singing a long beep and the led of the hard disk is
>>> always blink but nothing appears.

>>> I have removed power before installing the new ram, i don't want to be
>>> electrocuted. I also remove all the power connections from the power
>>> alimentation. I clear the CMOS, i do all the things i can do, but the
>>> sound continue and is very annoying me, i have some important files on
>>> my hard disks, but it doesn't seem to be touched...

>>> The CPU fans are working and hard drives spin up...

So, i had a phantom thing. Now the MB work fine and doesn't seem to be
troubled with anything. I always have my old config, but need anyway to
install more ram, so i bought 2*512 ram (same caracteristics for the two
ram). I hope the problem will not return anymore. But now i know the
solution to repair. I deplug all the power source and also the CMOS battery
for about 48H and all return correct.
Thanks anyway for the help.

zAJFe.2009$Uc5.1658@lakeread06...

TomG