help NF7-S ver2 won't boot with my W2k drive from old P3 Mbd

help is really needed here. I had 2 of my P3 Mbds fail. So I decided
to put in my Abit NF7-S ver2 Mbds as replacements. They are good
boards and I can OC them and get more performance. Sounds fine so
far.

But even after using my W2k CD to do the changing Mbd W2000 upgrade
procedure, I still can't get them to boot all the way into W2k. The
boot stops 2/3 thru with a Kmode error.

As you can guess, I want to keep all my installed programs and data.
So it appears I can not do a complete W2k reinstal even from the CD
repair page option2 without having to reinstall all my other programs
also.

Here is the error I get
*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xParameter_1, 0xParameter_2, 0xParameter_3,
0xParameter_4)
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
having to call to get a hotfix???
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
What can I do? Any call to MS is $100 or more. And they apparently
don't make the referenced hotfix available??? Sounds strange, too..

Acc7

I'm a canny Brit - you ask "What can I do?"
I've read the post, and the knowledgebase article, carefully.

FIRST - I'd post the specific question in a Microsoft 2000 newsgroup -
chances are some-one will send it to you, gratis.

SECOND - try a file-share service to find/download the specific files listed
in the knowledgebase article - takes time, but cheaper than a call to MS (
though unless you ask questions OTHER than this specific one, MS article
says "no charge" for the service.

Your question is specific to W2000, so more appropriate to a MS ng than this
one, I believe. No offence intended!
HTH -

"Acc7" <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote in message
> help is really needed here. I had 2 of my P3 Mbds fail. So I decided
> to put in my Abit NF7-S ver2 Mbds as replacements. They are good
> boards and I can OC them and get more performance. Sounds fine so
> far.
>
> But even after using my W2k CD to do the changing Mbd W2000 upgrade
> procedure, I still can't get them to boot all the way into W2k. The
> boot stops 2/3 thru with a Kmode error.
>
> As you can guess, I want to keep all my installed programs and data.
> So it appears I can not do a complete W2k reinstal even from the CD
> repair page option2 without having to reinstall all my other programs
> also.
>
> Here is the error I get
> *** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xParameter_1, 0xParameter_2, 0xParameter_3,
> 0xParameter_4)
> KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
>
> A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
> having to call to get a hotfix???
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
> What can I do? Any call to MS is $100 or more. And they apparently
> don't make the referenced hotfix available??? Sounds strange, too..
>
> Acc7

Thanks fro your reply.

Canny Brits are always welcome. My condolences on the recent
T-attack. Glad you are ok. You Brits stand not alone.

On this problem:
1) Will post in a MS ng also. Thought maybe this might be something
related to switching from Intel P3 to AMD and that maybe some other
NF7 people might ahve seen the same problem.

2) Even thought the KB article says they may not charge, they want
your money/CC info and all before you get anyone. So don't really
think I'd ever get it back and it's $100 for email & over $200 for a
call.

3) The idea of looking for the files is a good one. & I will do that.

I have searched the KB for this hotfix and not found it. That kind of
makes me wonder what they are actually doing. I thought they made
that stuff easily available?

Thanks for taking the time on this for me.
Acc7
>I'm a canny Brit - you ask "What can I do?"
>I've read the post, and the knowledgebase article, carefully.
>
>FIRST - I'd post the specific question in a Microsoft 2000 newsgroup -
>chances are some-one will send it to you, gratis.
>
>SECOND - try a file-share service to find/download the specific files listed
>in the knowledgebase article - takes time, but cheaper than a call to MS (
>though unless you ask questions OTHER than this specific one, MS article
>says "no charge" for the service.
>
>Your question is specific to W2000, so more appropriate to a MS ng than this
>one, I believe. No offence intended!
>HTH -
>
>"Acc7" <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> help is really needed here. I had 2 of my P3 Mbds fail. So I decided
>> to put in my Abit NF7-S ver2 Mbds as replacements. They are good
>> boards and I can OC them and get more performance. Sounds fine so
>> far.
>>
>> But even after using my W2k CD to do the changing Mbd W2000 upgrade
>> procedure, I still can't get them to boot all the way into W2k. The
>> boot stops 2/3 thru with a Kmode error.
>>
>> As you can guess, I want to keep all my installed programs and data.
>> So it appears I can not do a complete W2k reinstal even from the CD
>> repair page option2 without having to reinstall all my other programs
>> also.
>>
>> Here is the error I get
>> *** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xParameter_1, 0xParameter_2, 0xParameter_3,
>> 0xParameter_4)
>> KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
>>
>> A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
>> having to call to get a hotfix???
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
>> What can I do? Any call to MS is $100 or more. And they apparently
>> don't make the referenced hotfix available??? Sounds strange, too..
>>
>> Acc7

You're welcome. The MS ng route is probably best.

If you go the individual file-share route, do ensure that you get the
specified versions - don't be tempted to take "later" ones. Thinking about
it - file-sharers don't normally allow access to their system files, so try
Googling instead, they're bound to be on a server somewhere!

Once loaded (and run) into the correct directory, the system changes the
correct files will make will ensure correct configuration, and the MS update
engine will take care of the rest ( probably preachng here, sorry!)

Appreciate your thoughts on attacks. There's another 3 today, but apparently
not as devastating (based on NO mass-media coverage/program interruptions to
schedule), I've still to hear the real news. Nil carborundum desperandum (
we don't let the bastards grind us down ).

> Thanks fro your reply.
>
> Canny Brits are always welcome. My condolences on the recent
> T-attack. Glad you are ok. You Brits stand not alone.
>
> On this problem:
> 1) Will post in a MS ng also. Thought maybe this might be something
> related to switching from Intel P3 to AMD and that maybe some other
> NF7 people might ahve seen the same problem.
>
> 2) Even thought the KB article says they may not charge, they want
> your money/CC info and all before you get anyone. So don't really
> think I'd ever get it back and it's $100 for email & over $200 for a
> call.
>
> 3) The idea of looking for the files is a good one. & I will do that.
>
> I have searched the KB for this hotfix and not found it. That kind of
> makes me wonder what they are actually doing. I thought they made
> that stuff easily available?
>
> Thanks for taking the time on this for me.
> Acc7
>>I'm a canny Brit - you ask "What can I do?"
>>I've read the post, and the knowledgebase article, carefully.
>>
>>FIRST - I'd post the specific question in a Microsoft 2000 newsgroup -
>>chances are some-one will send it to you, gratis.
>>
>>SECOND - try a file-share service to find/download the specific files
>>listed
>>in the knowledgebase article - takes time, but cheaper than a call to MS (
>>though unless you ask questions OTHER than this specific one, MS article
>>says "no charge" for the service.
>>
>>Your question is specific to W2000, so more appropriate to a MS ng than
>>this
>>one, I believe. No offence intended!
>>HTH -
>>
>>"Acc7" <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>> help is really needed here. I had 2 of my P3 Mbds fail. So I decided
>>> to put in my Abit NF7-S ver2 Mbds as replacements. They are good
>>> boards and I can OC them and get more performance. Sounds fine so
>>> far.
>>>
>>> But even after using my W2k CD to do the changing Mbd W2000 upgrade
>>> procedure, I still can't get them to boot all the way into W2k. The
>>> boot stops 2/3 thru with a Kmode error.
>>>
>>> As you can guess, I want to keep all my installed programs and data.
>>> So it appears I can not do a complete W2k reinstal even from the CD
>>> repair page option2 without having to reinstall all my other programs
>>> also.
>>>
>>> Here is the error I get
>>> *** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xParameter_1, 0xParameter_2, 0xParameter_3,
>>> 0xParameter_4)
>>> KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
>>>
>>> A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
>>> having to call to get a hotfix???
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
>>> What can I do? Any call to MS is $100 or more. And they apparently
>>> don't make the referenced hotfix available??? Sounds strange, too..
>>>
>>> Acc7

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Yabbadoo & others

Just for your and others interest and general information:

Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
hard drive and reinstall the OS~"

Not a very intelligent answer when the question includes how to save
you installed programs. But in fairness they did say also to back up
my data before this.

Since I can't imagine that I am the only comoputer person who has
wanted to switch to AMD and tried to work with Abit, they (Abit) must
have some familiarity with the solution.

Am not very happy with Abit as a supportive company.

I am now learnign that there are ways to "slipstream" drivers into a
MS install. So there must be ways to do the same for a repair.

anyway. Still trying to work this thru. Will post solution if I ever
find one.

Acc7

rms

Thanks fro the link I will look there in a few minutes.

From what I have found the drivers are the main issue, but does amy
not explain all the problems.

The procedure I followed for changing Mbds from MS should have
accomplished that with the repair setup. I can now boot to hte second
atep in a repair setup which boots from the HD. But I only get
partway (1/2 way) thru the "initializing devices" screen when
everything either goes black (actually very dark grey-green) and
things stop happening. Or I get to the same stage and I get strange
colors on the monitor.

I appreciate your help.
Acc7

>It's very clear what the problem is: the windows drivers that are being run
>off the harddrive are incompatible with the new motherboard. You must put
>the drive back in the old computer first.
>
>Look at this url, it will give you full instructions for swapping mobos
>without reinstalling:
>http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745
>
>rms

I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.

A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:58:37 GMT, Acc7 <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote:

>Just for your and others interest and general information:
>
>Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
>impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
>out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
>hard drive and reinstall the OS~"

Sounds like good advice to me.

Your response is right on. If you change motherboards, you are going to have
to redo the operating system. Your second comment is even better, upgrade to
WinXPSP2 now while you have the chance. It will be a clean load and thus
run its best. You can buy an upgrade package and when you start the
installation it will ask you to prove you own a MS operating system. Just
put in the Win2000 installation disk and click OK. In a minute it will ask
you to put back the Win XP and you are on your way. Good Luck,

-Pete
"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
>I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
> work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.
>
> A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
> install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
> me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.
>
> Forrest
>
> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
>

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:58:37 GMT, Acc7 <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>>Just for your and others interest and general information:
>>
>>Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
>>impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
>>out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
>>hard drive and reinstall the OS~"
>>

> Sounds like good advice to me.

Well, The point seems to be missed here. Or else I do not understand
what a "clean install" means to my installed programs. I do however
understand what a reformat and install means to my installed programs.

So posters, understand that I have many many programs for which I may
or may not have the install source still around. And many purchased
programs that I could not likely find the registration keys to do a
reinstal. So I have to save this system.

I had counted on my ghost images and zipped data files to be suitable
backups. (stored separately or burned to CD/DVD. I just never
thought I would not be able to instal a ghosted image and run the
system. So on that I was probably just plain stupid.

As to upgrading to XP, I have absolutely no desire to do so even if MS
gave it to me free. W2k is a good stable system. And when it becomes
unsupported, I am not sure what I will change over to. XP offers no
features that I find interesting and lots of new problems and new
controls.

Acc7

>I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
>work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.
>
>A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
>install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
>me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.
>
>Forrest
>
>Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
>

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:58:37 GMT, Acc7 <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>>Just for your and others interest and general information:
>>
>>Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
>>impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
>>out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
>>hard drive and reinstall the OS~"
>>

> Sounds like good advice to me.

Pete,
Thanks for your post. I answered part of you suggestion in my posrt
above.

But on XP specifically: It offers no real attractions for me and the
idea of having to "call MS" and get permission to change my hardware
is very repugnant to me. I own licenses for all of my MS products and
OS's way back thru the DOS age (prehistoric I know). So that's not
the issue. I have paid MS for what I got from them.

If there was an effective way to have the same freedom with XP that I
have with W2k, I might consider it. But with the registration change
that XP brought, I and a lot of us have become very suspiciuos.

So there has to be a way to take a "stripped generic" W2k install and
let it recognize the new Mbd. The doc's suggested by David Patrick
point in that direction. but the process described is complicated. I
am on the trail of a simpler approach. And I ahve found one backup
Mbd that I can boot to which may help me make the "generic w2k"
system.

If it works I will post it in these news groups.

Thanks
Acc7

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:56:50 -0700, "peteki" <peteki@cox.net> wrote:

>Your response is right on. If you change motherboards, you are going to have
>to redo the operating system. Your second comment is even better, upgrade to
>WinXPSP2 now while you have the chance. It will be a clean load and thus
>run its best. You can buy an upgrade package and when you start the
>installation it will ask you to prove you own a MS operating system. Just
>put in the Win2000 installation disk and click OK. In a minute it will ask
>you to put back the Win XP and you are on your way. Good Luck,
>
>-Pete
>"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
>>I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
>> work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.
>>
>> A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
>> install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
>> me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.
>>
>> Forrest
>>
>> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
>>

>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:58:37 GMT, Acc7 <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Just for your and others interest and general information:
>>>
>>>Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
>>>impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
>>>out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
>>>hard drive and reinstall the OS~"
>>>

>> Sounds like good advice to me.

Ok, let me explain it this way for you. Sorry if the word clean is
confusing.
What you are going to do is to reformat your drive, ie clean if off. The
you are going to boot the computer using your operating disk, if you want to
use Win2K it works the same way. If your Win2K was an upgrade disk, then you
will need to let the program read any of your earlier CDs ie Win98 or Win ME
to see that you are indeed upgrading. Now once it sees that you are
upgrading the installation will proceed in the normal fashion and at one
point it will ask you to enter the 25 alphanumeric key that is on the back
of your CD case. After that it will recognize the new MB and install in the
normal manner. If you are not changing the operating chip or hard drives or
the amount of memory, it might not challenge the change of the MB and load
fine. It is hard to say, I have changed a MB once and it didn't bother it at
all and then the next time it did.

What I do not understand is what is a "generic W2K" what do you mean by
generic. Is this an OEM disk that you bought?

I just don't think there is any way for you to get the operating system to
recognize a new MB with a new bridge chip etc and a new bios and do a
respectable repair install, it will just give you a big headache.

Hope this helps,

-Pete
"acc7" <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote in message
> Well, The point seems to be missed here. Or else I do not understand
> what a "clean install" means to my installed programs. I do however
> understand what a reformat and install means to my installed programs.
>
> So posters, understand that I have many many programs for which I may
> or may not have the install source still around. And many purchased
> programs that I could not likely find the registration keys to do a
> reinstal. So I have to save this system.
>
> I had counted on my ghost images and zipped data files to be suitable
> backups. (stored separately or burned to CD/DVD. I just never
> thought I would not be able to instal a ghosted image and run the
> system. So on that I was probably just plain stupid.
>
> As to upgrading to XP, I have absolutely no desire to do so even if MS
> gave it to me free. W2k is a good stable system. And when it becomes
> unsupported, I am not sure what I will change over to. XP offers no
> features that I find interesting and lots of new problems and new
> controls.
>
> Acc7
>
>>I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
>>work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.
>>
>>A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
>>install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
>>me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.
>>
>>Forrest
>>
>>Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>>http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
>>

>>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:58:37 GMT, Acc7 <Acc7@noemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Just for your and others interest and general information:
>>>
>>>Abit did respond to my email to Abit-US finally. It was not very
>>>impressive at all. They said they only dealt with the hardware but
>>>out of courtesy they would make the suggestion "~that I reformat the
>>>hard drive and reinstall the OS~"
>>>

>> Sounds like good advice to me.

I have to agree with those who recommend doing a clean install. I
appreciate that you may no longer have install disks (or keys) for some
programs. But even if you do succeed in getting the old drive to boot with
the new motherboard, you're likely to be left with a very buggy system. I
know it's a real pain to do a clean install and then reinstall/configure all
your programs. But your system will run better, saving you headaches in the
long run.

I'm considering doing a clean install on my main system right now, even
though I haven't changed any hardware. Although the system runs fairly
well, there are some wierdnesses that a clean install would likely get rid
of. I have so many programs that a clean install and reconfig of my system
will take me a good two to three days. So I am reticent to do it. But the
fact is, over time, Windows gets loaded down with garbage left over from
installing and removing software, etc. My system has been running WinXP Pro
since the OS was released. I've upgraded to SP1 and now SP2. When I do a
clean install, it will be with a SP2 slipstreamed OS, so it will be clean,
clean, clean! :)

BTW, there are several ways to slipstream a service pack and make a new OS
install CD. The easiest and quickest way to do it is to use a little piece
of freeware called "AutoStreamer." Check it out:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

Regards,

Margaret

"peteki" <peteki@cox.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> backups. (stored separately or burned to CD/DVD. I just never
>> thought I would not be able to instal a ghosted image and run the
>> system. So on that I was probably just plain stupid.
>>
>> As to upgrading to XP, I have absolutely no desire to do so even if MS
>> gave it to me free. W2k is a good stable system. And when it becomes
>> unsupported, I am not sure what I will change over to. XP offers no
>> features that I find interesting and lots of new problems and new
>> controls.
>>
>> Acc7
>>
>>>I would suspect that even if you finally get the repair install to
>>>work it will still be a buggy (software wise) system.
>>>
>>>A "repair install" in normally a procedure of last resort. A clean
>>>install is always the recommended and preferred procedure. If it were
>>>me, I would consider this as an opportune time to switch to winxp.

Think I've said this earlier in the thread, but these directions really
do work perfectly for me. I've done this with an original 2k install,
upgraded to XP, then done it twice more, most recently to the NF7 board.
Also had the same experience with the wife's and each of the kids
computers. (When I upgrade, everything gets passed down.) :')
http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

Margaret Wilson wrote:
> I have to agree with those who recommend doing a clean install. I
> appreciate that you may no longer have install disks (or keys) for some
> programs. But even if you do succeed in getting the old drive to boot with
> the new motherboard, you're likely to be left with a very buggy system. I
> know it's a real pain to do a clean install and then reinstall/configure all
> your programs. But your system will run better, saving you headaches in the
> long run..........

Airman,

Thanks for the link. Just read it and it looks like a good bet.

And since I can reclone this drive from the ghost images, I can try it
a number of times. But with this help I may not need an infinite
number of attempts.

Thanks very much.

I will post results of this effort for others to use. Won't get to
try this til later in the week though.

Acc7

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:07:00 -0500, Airman Thunderbird
<airman.basic@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

Well SUCCESS!!!!!
Special THANKS to Airman Thunderbird

Thanks posters for your help.
Airman Thunderbird's link for how to instructions worked just fine.
It is interesting how Windows error messages often have nothing to do
with the actual problem, though.

After following the directions in the link the only apparent
difficulty seems to be that W2k still thinks it has both a NIC card
and the on board LAN adapters both. But then it says it will not let
me chenge or delete the NIC card because it is not presently in the
system??? But hey I am posting from the NF7-S ver2 Mbd right now.

The link used is http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

Acc7

TRENDING THREADS