answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
try NFS: underground, its one of the good racing games that I played. Good graphics and an indetructible car!!!

yeah and when you get above like 130mph the scenery in the background starts to blur, it has some sweet effects, although it is geared to more of the "ricer" type people. it is enjoyable though.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Can you get 22" gold spinners?

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
While "NFS: Underground" is a great arcade game "Live for speed: S1" is a great racing game!

Pluses:
- Good online racing (even for dial-up).
- Great car physics. Very satisfying when you learn to control the cars.
- cheap 12 UK pounds (about $21.40 USD). Online racing is free.
- No disks. You just download it and pay to register. (It operates as demo until you do).

Downsides:
- no damage modeling
- fairly steep learning curve. (It's challenging to drive the cars well. It's not impossible. It just takes practice and time learning, lots of time.
- lots of idiots play online
- average graphics (but plays very well on even old hardware)
- limited number of cars and tracks This will improve as installments S2 and S3 are added to the game. (LFS is a work in progress).
- Cars are fictitious. They are very familiar, just no official sponsorship/licensing, so the names and appearance are fictitious.
- The registration/unlock system can be a nuisance if you have problems. (It's a double keyed online password).

Download it and try it!

<A HREF="http://www.liveforspeed.net" target="_new">http://www.liveforspeed.net</A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
just played (briefly) a demo of toca race driver2, looked and felt like a good driver (something the pc lacks and i hate NFS underground)

(wishes for the day gran turismo series might possibly possibly come to the pc, altho it will never happen)

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I totally agree with you:

NFS Underground: Nice arcade game. Nice graphics and sound but no physics. I finished it and I don't think I will touch it again.

Live for speed: Excellent racing sim. No great graphics and sound, but really good physics. I am still playing with the demo, but I seriously thinking of buying the game. Althought I may wait to S2. Do you know if you will have to pay for the S2 if you already have S1? And when the S2 is due?

Also, I tried Toca 2. The graphics and sound are really nice and there is a damage model, but there something wrong with the physic model. I can't really put my finger on the problem though.

By the way what are your times for the demo track (I always forget the name) in LFS?

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AFAIK, each of 3 scheduled installments of Live for Speed will each have their own price.

I don't really time myself. I think 1:35 for the Blackwood GP course with the GT Turbo car is about normal for me. Maybe I've hit 1:31 but that is still pretty poor. The best drivers run something like 1:21.

I never said I was good at the game (LOL). I just said I like the game.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Don't worry, I run about the same times.

1:21 is crazy thought with the GT Turbo, I really wonder how they do it. I just can't go any faster than what I am doing right now.

Damn, this means I need more practice.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
At the LFS homepage I saw a link to a driving guide for Blackwood. I might give it a try. I'm not sure how the author manages the corner at the end of the long straight-a-way. He talks about a brake point of 105-100. That's way deaper than I can manage but then I haven't driven the GTI car for a while. It's that car for which he is describing the driving technique.

Part of my problem is I don't have a wheel on my system and a gamepad is just a little too sensitive to make precise throttle adjustments.

I can get on my nephew's computer and just drive. After a couple of laps, I get right back to form.

On my own computer, if I haven't played for a while, driving with the gamepad takes lots and lots of practice to be any good at it. After a couple of weeks of not playing it's like starting all over again. It's almost too frustrating. Even at my best, I'm about 2 seconds slower with a gamepad than with the wheel.

Do you have any recommendations on a good non-force feedback wheel? I just don't like the clunky gear action of force feedback wheels.

I recently tried the demo for Colin McCrae (sp?) 4. I love the physics but I hate the confined track feel. It's a subjective thing. You are not literally confined to the road (as in the old Rally Masters) but it feels like you are. Even worse, there is no sense of speed in this game. The replays look great but the driving just doesn't "feel" right.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Your good... I can't even play any racing games without my racing wheel. It's a force feedback wheel so I can't recommend you any non-force feedback wheel. But I like mine, it gives a good feedback. When you start to slide, you feel it much earlier with the wheel than just by looking at the car.

I think that if you are really into racing games (which looks like it) a good racing wheel is a very interesting investment.

I played Colin McRae 4, I find it better than the three for many aspects including graphics, physics and gameplay. But I find that you have to get used to the physics before being any good and that takes time. I was playing quite a bit before, but then I saw an article on LFS and started to play LFS instead of Colin McRae. Now I lost the feel for the "physics" in Colin so it's just sitting on my HD. By the way the installation is so stupid it basically copies the 3 CDs on your HD even if you don't need some files (ex. co-pilot description in german). I hate that.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All driving games are easier with a wheel but LFS is the first game where a wheel seemed to be almost a must for me.

Most driving games all I need is basic steering, full throttle, let off throttle, and occasionally some braking. That's it and it's boring.

With LFS more subtle control is necessary. You have to be able to feather the throttle. Then there's braking. You almost always want maximum braking but this doesn't mean pressing the pedal to the floor, only to the point where the wheels don't lock.

Both of these car control aspects are much more difficult with a gamepad than with a wheel and pedals.

I like to set the gamepad to use left analog joytick for steering (left and right) while I use the right joystick for throttle and brake (forward and backward). The small size of the joysticks makes this very challenging but it's possible with lots of practice. The problem is it's not intuitive, (perhaps for kids who are used to RC cars but not me).

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
i think i'm gonna go check out LFS but i find NFS:pU is a great game for the simulation but is down on graphics but i can be had for like $10. its worth a look.

P4 2.8c
Seagate 160g 7200rpm 8mb cache
2x256 Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9800pro 128
Asus P4P800

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I am Jonesing so bad that I just bought "Street LegaL".
It seems ok, except that it is incredibly hard to remove certain parts like springs with the controls they have programmed.
Any body had any fun/success with this street legal game??
I can't believe we are all playing 3 to 5 year old games like this and porsche unleahed..
Why in the hell can there not be any better driving sims??????????
Please help, I can not find toca 2 except for the damned X-box!!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Everyone says NFS:pU is a good/great simulation. I didn't like it for one reason, all the 911 derived cars understeer. This is plain wrong. 911s are notorious for oversteer. That one thing always annoyed me.

As an arcade game I liked it about as much as I liked all the NFS series.

I do have to admit PU had more style than its predecessors. I liked the way everything was drawn/rendered.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I got my racing wheel when I started playing NFS:porsche Unleashed against some friends. A friend of mine was always beating me and he had a wheel. So I got myself a wheel and was able to beat him. It makes a really big difference.

I play sometimes with a joypad, but it's not intuitive as you said. Also the latitude of movement is much less so it is much harder to make small adjusments.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have a desk for my computer monitor just a credenza so I have no place to put a wheel (or keyboard for that matter).

I've been thinking about building some kind of stand for a wheel but I've also been thinking about building a MAME machine.

How to build a dedicated piece of furniture with all the controls one could want is the question.

I was thinking about a simple box on castors, steering wheel mounted on one side, MAME joysticks and buttons mounted on another side, (leaving two sides available for future controlers. I'd put the monitor and keyboard on a Lazy Susan so that I could spin the box to whichever set of controlers while leaving the monitor fixed. The computer would be mounted above, on a shelf attached to the wall to avoid problems with some cables. The cables for the controllers are going to be a problem

It's starting to get complicated. A long table with multiple gaming stations would be much easier but I have space problems.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
That sounds good if you have the time to build it. I just have a plain little desk. And I put my wheel on the little shelf that slides in (where I also put my keyboard). It's not the best since it's not really solid, but it works for now.

I think there should be specialized desks for gamers. It would be really nice to have a desk that is adaquate for both work and gaming.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
That's what I'm saying. It would be great to build a desk on which one can use a racing wheel without having to set every thing up every time and do normal work. I'm thinking, maybe, putting the screen on a swivel and create two "working" stations.

It's really clear in my mind, but if somebody would do it I would buy it.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Re:(wishes for the day gran turismo series might possibly possibly come to the pc, altho it will never happen)

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!

Bring Gran Turismo to PC. Oh and Syphon Filter series to pc too.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stinkfinger on 05/23/04 01:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Every PC racing fan pray for Gran Turismo to come to PC, but I think it never will. Sony must pay big bucks to keep the exclusivity for the Gran Turismo name.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
That just is'nt right!! Imagine how much money they could make if they did go PC, especially making Gran Turismo multiplayer.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

morganwill

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
Finally!!!!
Damnnation!!!!
That's what I have been chatting about Willis(Cofuouis's big brother)!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately it has been mostly to myself?????

Actually, FORZA; the new X-box only game that really may be the real deal.
This is the one they need to upgrade into a real comprehensive PC game format.

I assume you have not seen the retail full-version of TOCA2 out for the PC????

Thanks, that was my much earlier question..

Hope to meet on PC TORZA..... ;(

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by morganwill on 05/25/04 09:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>