Court Ruling Could See Pirate Bay Blocked in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have just one suggestion for everyone around the world. Just stop supporting the movie and music industry. Stop buying their cds and dvds and stop paying for overpriced multiplex tickets. They are common criminals and they should not get any kind of support. Artists that are any good today, have the means to promote themselves through the Web. Companies like that have no reason to exist any more, exept to support useless talentless drones that would not make any kind of success otherwise.

We don't need them anymore. All they do is criminalize the enjoyment of true art.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Will UK users of The Pirate Bay soon find the site inaccessible?

In a word, no.
Aside from the fact that The Pirate Bay is a 90MB file, there are so many workaround tools (there was one out pre-emptively, in case SOPA ever passed, called MAFIAAFire).

Of course... the citizens of the UK are used to government censorship and surveillance, so this should come as no surprise.

I don't suppose the high court ruling will be too friendly to free access of websites; after all, the UK has a history of selling out its citizens to Big Brother Government in the name of "public safety".

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Doesn't even matter if they blocked the Pirate Bay, that would only stop the less educated people from accessing it. There are many ways of accessing a blocked site, plus there are tons of other torrent sites out there along with NZB sites to grab stuff from usenet at max speeds.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]I have just one suggestion for everyone around the world. Just stop supporting the movie and music industry. Stop buying their cds and dvds and stop paying for overpriced multiplex tickets. They are common criminals and they should not get any kind of support. Artists that are any good today, have the means to promote themselves through the Web. Companies like that have no reason to exist any more, exept to support useless talentless drones that would not make any kind of success otherwise.We don't need them anymore. All they do is criminalize the enjoyment of true art.[/citation]

you have to understand how the world works... just because you are great at something, doesn't mean you will ever be reconised by people. the movie and music industry heavily promote people of talent or who are exploitable (no talent but sellable non the less) to the point that most bands have a debt till their 3rd cd (info gotten prior to cd sections more or less dieing) they do serve a purpose, just they have the money to fund you when you are new.

you can be a god on a guitar, or be the best cinimatogropher, but without some kind of backing, you are more or less screwed.

granted there are exceptions, but really, few and VERY far between.

riaa and mpaa though, they can die for all i care.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I understand how the world works pretty well. The industry promotes heavily very specific names that they want to promote. Not those who are worth something or really contribute to the music/movie scene. Just take a look at the Music page on Youtube. The "officially" promoted videos have been the same 10 videos since forever (not to mention that the categories are a joke... Metal includes Nickelback and other crap)... I can discover many many more noteworthy independent artists by myself on the Web and support them directly through itunes or other platforms.

The industry no longer advertises. They foce opinions on people, to the point that they order you to like an artist because they declare he is a hit.

I insist that we do not need them anymore. There are a lot of people who have gained a fan following through pages like Youtube, so much that they can be their own employers and promote their content without having to feed a bunch of middle-men leeches along the way.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The chances are that even if this block gets introduced you can just go to the IP address (194.71.107.15) as the block will more than likely just be of the domain name.

G

Ufortunately the courts are a relic of the outdated system that says organised international
cartels can say and do anything they like and the courts must believe and support them.

The entire copyright system is being breached - not because ordinary people are pirates - but
because the industry are pirates and people refuse to be ripped off by them.
Unfortunately ordinary people don't have millions of dollars to "lobby" politicians with.

Youngsters dont want the endless stream of foul mouthed garbage these people push
out so they go elsewhere. The so called "brit awards happened yesterday" I saw not one
jot of actual talent amongst the whole lot of them. Its no wonder no one will pay for their trash.

Stuff they DO want is priced so far above the manufacture or duplication costs that
it would be deemed criminal itself in any other industry.

Stuff thats 20-30 years old they still charge premium prices for and ignore even their
own lament of how much it cost to "produce" in order to do so decades after massive profits are made.

An office worker doesnt continue to get paid for work they did 20 years ago. A coal miner
doesnt continue to get paid for the work they did years ago and neither does anyone else.
So why should these people?

Until the crime of professional political lobbying is punishable by heavy prison sentencing
we will have these international criminal cartels manufacturing rubbish about "how much piracy has
LOST them" despite the fact that most downloaders just want to see if the latest pieice of junk
is worth paying for in the first place.

Downloaders are probably the only thing keeping the music and movie scammers going at all.
They make them money not cause them to loose it.

Its about time the law recognised the fact.

And its not PB's job to stop other people commiting crimes. Thats what we pay police forces
for. If they dont or cant do it we need to start sacking police chiefs.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Of course people will still be able to use the trackers from TPB, from all the other torrent sites that have the trackers mirrored, just look at Isohunt and see where the trackers come from.
Blocking TPB will have all the effect of attacking a lunatic asylum with a banana

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Well this will slightly change the self serving arguments used by hypocrites who steal copyrighted material.[/citation]
Can't steal something when it never leaves the owner, you copy.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Can't steal something when it never leaves the owner, you copy.[/citation]
Cute. You stole the license fee that was due for the copy.

helmutcheese

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Not in UK, its not a criminal matter no matter what anyone says its a civil matter.

And the US has less freedom than the UK fact (someone hinted above about big brother)!

DeViLzzz2007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Measures to stop piracy are needed. This whole idea of people worried about invasion of privacy and more are supported by many people that have something to hide. Maybe if the world was more of an open book we would be able to rid ourselves of the filth that plagues society and move on.

fthemafiaa

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Cute. You stole the license fee that was due for the copy.[/citation]
Accidently +1 you and couldnt change the vote. Now I feel dirty... :(

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
It's funny how big governments thinks they can demolish or cripple piracy by blocking TPB. It just goes to show how much the government really knows.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Well this will slightly change the self serving arguments used by hypocrites who steal copyrighted material.[/citation]
Hypocrite implies I steal the stuff whilst arguing that it is wrong to do so
I personally couldn't give a fig so maybe you should use a different word, like scumbag?
Anyhoo even though I download more than I even did before I also go to the cinema more than I ever did before, in fact the money flowing into the studios has never been so high with billions of $$$ running through it, I find it hard to sympathise with Sony saying "please don't copy our movie" when they are sucking billions in revenue.
Back to the story, however, they have to try to block TPB because no-one in any of these organisations is ever allowed to admit that the actions they take have little to no effect, shut down every single torrent site in the world tomorrow and by Monday lunchtime they will be back again under a new name, somewhere else, with links to files that are on MY PC being shared BY ME.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I love how delusional the judges and the whole legal system has become. Judges, legislation and governments around the world think and continue to use power to solve problems instead of using understanding, persuasion and adaption to do so.

Just for reference one of the first traffic law was in UK as well. It required man with a flag to walk in front of the automobile. [1]

In my judgment, the operators of TPB do authorise its users' infringing acts of copying and communication to the public

So, in my judgment is that this UK judge should retire or stop taking payments from RIAA, MPAA and/or etc.

[1] Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 324–325. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]DeViLzzz2007[/nom]Measures to stop piracy are needed. This whole idea of people worried about invasion of privacy and more are supported by many people that have something to hide. Maybe if the world was more of an open book we would be able to rid ourselves of the filth that plagues society and move on.[/citation]

Everyone has demons to deal with, Everyone has something to hide, Everyone lies. These are yours to air to the world, should you choose. Privacy is a birthright since leaving the garden of Eden, why else would you wear clothes on a hot summer day? Only the creator has the skills and knowledge to judge me. You have only been gifted with the skills and knowledge to judge yourself, and the ignorance to think your judgements are righteous for others.

Downloading a song off pirate bay makes someone the "filth" of society? I think you need professional help. I reserve that title for murders, rapists, child molesters, and people who listen to "Ace of Base" at 3am.

G

Too little too late it seems, as the last poster pointed out The Pirates Bay saw this coming and have already devised a way around such blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.