HD Disk Light Always On

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 22, 2005 6:09:39 PM

I have a KT7A-Raid system (Raid not currently used). I recently installed a
Hitachi Deskstat 80 mb hard drive. The HD light seems to be always on, even
when the system is not used. Feeling the drive seems to indicate it is
rotating. Is this a problem? At first I thought it was a large XP
transfer, but I set the swap file size to zero with no effect. The system
seems to work fine. Any thoughts?
Tom

More about : disk light

July 22, 2005 9:02:24 PM

did you try flipping the HD LED connector 180 around?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Tom" <atspang@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a KT7A-Raid system (Raid not currently used). I recently installed a
>Hitachi Deskstat 80 mb hard drive. The HD light seems to be always on, even
>when the system is not used. Feeling the drive seems to indicate it is
>rotating. Is this a problem? At first I thought it was a large XP
>transfer, but I set the swap file size to zero with no effect. The system
>seems to work fine. Any thoughts?
> Tom

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 11:15:41 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:09:39 -0400, "Tom" <atspang@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a KT7A-Raid system (Raid not currently used). I recently installed a
>Hitachi Deskstat 80 mb hard drive. The HD light seems to be always on, even
>when the system is not used. Feeling the drive seems to indicate it is
>rotating. Is this a problem? At first I thought it was a large XP
>transfer, but I set the swap file size to zero with no effect. The system
>seems to work fine. Any thoughts?
>Tom

check if it's set to optimise the hdd in the background

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 8:16:20 AM

TomG wrote:

| did you try flipping the HD LED connector 180 around?

If it were backward wouldn't the LED never come on?

How about turning off the Indexing Service (or, at least, disabiling
indexing on the properties sheets for the hard disks)?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 23, 2005 9:25:54 PM

I have seen it go both ways, where it never comes on and I have also seen it
where it is always on. you wouldn't think the reverse polarity would do
that but I had a SCSI add-in card that would do that when I connected the
LED to the card backwards.

--

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:o wjEe.20180$NU2.9113@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | did you try flipping the HD LED connector 180 around?
> |

> If it were backward wouldn't the LED never come on?
>
> How about turning off the Indexing Service (or, at least, disabiling
> indexing on the properties sheets for the hard disks)?
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

July 23, 2005 9:47:58 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 04:16:20 GMT, "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>If it were backward wouldn't the LED never come on?

No, it would always be on when there is no disk activity. I've made
this mistake before.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 10:26:43 PM

Fisher wrote:

| >If it were backward wouldn't the LED never come on?
|
| No, it would always be on when there is no disk activity. I've made
| this mistake before.

Hi Fisher -

I disagree with you ..

From: http://web.mit.edu/~awozniak/Public/6.121/LED.html :

| You must also know that an led has polarity. This means that the
| positive and negative terminals must be connected correctly for
| it to operate properly. As you see in the diagram below, if the
| polarity is reversed, the LED will NOT light.

Also note: 'Out of the box' the longer leg of the LED is the positive
terminal. This doesn't serve much use when connecting case connectors
(which are usually designated by a '+' or dot on the positive connector).

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 24, 2005 4:51:47 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:26:43 GMT, "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Hi Fisher -
>
>I disagree with you ..

Disagree all you want. I've seen it happen - more than once.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 8:34:11 AM

TomG wrote:

|I have seen it go both ways, where it never comes on and I have also
| seen it where it is always on. you wouldn't think the reverse polarity
| would do that but I had a SCSI add-in card that would do that when I
| connected the LED to the card backwards.

Tom -

Interesting.

I always read that LEDs wouldn't work when connected backward. It was the
reason I went looking for a citation to back up what I'd read before I
posted when challenged further up in the thread.

I'll have to ask my brother, who designs hard disk logic circuits for a
living, for his take on the subject.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
July 24, 2005 1:01:13 PM

yeah, it would appear to be pretty straightforward... an LED has polarity
and that is that. however, I wondered if there wasn't something going on
with the circuitry on the SCSI card or something, that was contributing to
the cornfusion.

--

"Bird Janitor" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> TomG wrote:
> |
> |I have seen it go both ways, where it never comes on and I have also
> | seen it where it is always on. you wouldn't think the reverse polarity
> | would do that but I had a SCSI add-in card that would do that when I
> | connected the LED to the card backwards.
> |

> Tom -
>
> Interesting.
>
> I always read that LEDs wouldn't work when connected backward. It was the
> reason I went looking for a citation to back up what I'd read before I
> posted when challenged further up in the thread.
>
> I'll have to ask my brother, who designs hard disk logic circuits for a
> living, for his take on the subject.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 6:52:33 PM

TomG wrote:

| yeah, it would appear to be pretty straightforward... an LED has
| polarity and that is that. however, I wondered if there wasn't
| something going on with the circuitry on the SCSI card or
| something, that was contributing to the cornfusion.

I feel better now.

Makes me wonder if some LEDs aren't really LEDs. I've been following a
thread in another group where a notebook drive (also Hitachi) has its LED on
all the time. I don't think there's any way the user in that case could be
reversing the connector to the HDD LED. Confusing things further, the
notebook is running Windows 98 .. so there's no indexing service running in
the background to muck things up.

Speaking of cornfusion... I'm hungry. Corn Fritters! Mmmmmm....

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 8:05:35 PM

Last I looked through the radio shack catalog you can buy LEDs that
have two LEDs inside one package. One LED lights with one polarity
and the other LED lights with the other polarity. Usually this is for
bi-color LEDs but it sounds like they are using them for hd indicators
as well. I think if one takes a closer look, at a backwards installed
LED, that the LED will still flash (off) on hard disk drive accesses.

Is there a pink floyd song about rats-in-da-hood, or is it just pigs?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 1:28:00 AM

HAL9000 wrote:

| Last I looked through the radio shack catalog you can buy LEDs
| that have two LEDs inside one package. One LED lights with
| one polarity and the other LED lights with the other polarity.
| Usually this is for bi-color LEDs but it sounds like they are using
| them for hd indicators as well. I think if one takes a closer look,
| at a backwards installed LED, that the LED will still flash (off) on
| hard disk drive accesses.
|
| Is there a pink floyd song about rats-in-da-hood, or is it just pigs?
|
| Forrest
|
| Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
| http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

Hi Forrest -

Makes sense. I have an external USB hard disk enclosure where the LED is
green when power is applied and red when the drive is being accessed. I'll
have to open it up one of these days and see if it's two LEDs offset from
one another or if it's really one LED.

As for Rats in 'Da Hood... probably more Frank Zappa.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 4:46:01 PM

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:26:43 GMT, "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
> <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> >Hi Fisher -
> >
> >I disagree with you ..
>
> Disagree all you want. I've seen it happen - more than once.

I call 'bullshit' :)

Sorry - not physically possible.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 10:55:03 PM

RonK wrote:

| LED's will not light when connected backwards.
| Another important LED spec is maximum reverse voltage. A diode
| conducts current when a forward voltage is applied, but will not
| conduct if a reverse voltage is applied, up to a point. Reverse
| voltages in excess of the maximum can cause the diode to fail
| http://led.linear1.org/what-are-the-electrical-characte...

Hi Ron -

Forrest has a good point:

| I think if one takes a closer look, at a backwards installed
| LED, that the LED will still flash (off) on hard disk drive accesses.

Consider that some hard disk controllers may reverse the polarity on the LED
to turn it off, rather than by dropping the voltage. This was the
explaination my brother gave when I spoke with him yesterday. He explained
further, while potentially limiting the life of the LED, the mean time
between failure of the HDD was considerably less. He added, with correct
polarity, this approach may give a more instantaneous appearance of a
'blink' when the drive is accessed.

In my response to Forrest, I said my 2.5" notebook HDD enclosure that has a
steady green LED with the drive is powered, which turns to red when the
drive is accessed. I pulled off the end of the enclosure and it is, indeed,
a single LED package with two legs on the small PCB. They only way to
achieve this would be to have two LEDs in the package, one lighting when
there is positive voltage on one leg and the other lighting when there is
positive voltage on the other.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 10:55:04 PM

Thanks for the info Jef.

> RonK wrote:
> |
> | LED's will not light when connected backwards.
> | Another important LED spec is maximum reverse voltage. A diode
> | conducts current when a forward voltage is applied, but will not
> | conduct if a reverse voltage is applied, up to a point. Reverse
> | voltages in excess of the maximum can cause the diode to fail
> | http://led.linear1.org/what-are-the-electrical-characte...
> |

> Hi Ron -
>
> Forrest has a good point:
> |
> | I think if one takes a closer look, at a backwards installed
> | LED, that the LED will still flash (off) on hard disk drive accesses.
> |

> Consider that some hard disk controllers may reverse the polarity on the
> LED
> to turn it off, rather than by dropping the voltage. This was the
> explaination my brother gave when I spoke with him yesterday. He
> explained
> further, while potentially limiting the life of the LED, the mean time
> between failure of the HDD was considerably less. He added, with correct
> polarity, this approach may give a more instantaneous appearance of a
> 'blink' when the drive is accessed.
>
> In my response to Forrest, I said my 2.5" notebook HDD enclosure that has
> steady green LED with the drive is powered, which turns to red when the
> drive is accessed. I pulled off the end of the enclosure and it is,
> indeed,
> a single LED package with two legs on the small PCB. They only way to
> achieve this would be to have two LEDs in the package, one lighting when
> there is positive voltage on one leg and the other lighting when there is
> positive voltage on the other.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 10:18:15 PM

Brian Brunner wrote:

> And when you alternate the two quickly, the LED turns Yellow to the
> human eye. I've used LEDs of this type before.

I once connected the power-LED(green) to my BP6 after I had bought it,
and the LED glowed orange(!?). It also became very hot.
The LED burned out not so long after.

IIRC, the manual had the wrong pin-out, so the LED got 5V..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2005 4:24:27 PM

In article <S8edndlgccrBq3zfRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, Tom
<atspang@comcast.net> writes
>I have a KT7A-Raid system (Raid not currently used). I recently installed a
>Hitachi Deskstat 80 mb hard drive. The HD light seems to be always on, even
>when the system is not used. Feeling the drive seems to indicate it is
>rotating. Is this a problem? At first I thought it was a large XP
>transfer, but I set the swap file size to zero with no effect. The system
>seems to work fine. Any thoughts?
>Tom

Did you disconnect or dislodge any of the bezel connectors (to PN1 and
PN2) when you installed the drive? If you did you may not have
connected them back to the correct pins. There are a number of pins
which always have power to them and are not normally connected.

The HD LED lead from the bezel should be connected to PIN6 and PIN7 of
PN1; watch the polarity, PIN6 is the positive pin.

The full list is contained in chapter two pages 15 through 17 of the
Users manual. If you do not have the manual, it can be found at

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/download/download_manua...
E_TYPE=Manual&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=KT7A-
RAID&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket%20A

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 7:36:03 PM

"" wrote:
> I have a KT7A-Raid system (Raid not currently used). I
> recently installed a
> Hitachi Deskstat 80 mb hard drive. The HD light seems to be
> always on, even
> when the system is not used. Feeling the drive seems to
> indicate it is
> rotating. Is this a problem? At first I thought it was a
> large XP
> transfer, but I set the swap file size to zero with no effect.
> The system
> seems to work fine. Any thoughts?
> Tom

connected to the SMI-POW led connector.

They are usually in close proximity to each other and would produce
the symptom described.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ABIT-HD-Disk-Light-ftopic...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304723
!