Wireless Connection Problem

Hi all, I've just bought a BT Voyager Networking Kit ( 2100 Router/Modem and
1040 Wireless Adaptor). I have the Router connected to one pc via supplied
ethernet cable and the router is recognised and connects to the internet with
no problems. My second pc has the wireless adaptor installed and recognises
the router but "cannot connect to the network". I'm using the same workgroup
name and i do get an animated screen showing the computers trying to connect,
but no joy! Any suggestions or settings I should or shouldn't be using?
Thanks in advance.

Dear Shizzy,

I am assuming that you are connecting through the View Available Networks
dialog. You should see a list showing all of the networks that are visible.
In that list,
from you email, appears your new network. Now, you have not said how you
have configured the network. For example, if you have configured this
network
to use a WEP key you would need to enter that information when connecting.

Now from the View Available Networks network list, each network should
appear with some text explaining what type of security is enabled for this
network,
and if a password is needed. The password is obtained when configuring the
wireless router/modem. Please refer to the setup instructions from the
manufacturer for help with that part.

However, if you are not prompted for a password, and the network is not
using a password and the connection still fails, there is some other type of
problem.
In this case you might check to make sure you have adequate signal strength
and that the router is not set up to perform any sort of firewall
functionality
(which would exclude non-specified machines from connecting). I am assuming
that this is not the case, but one can never tell.

Please let me know. Happy Holidays!

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

"shizzy" <shizzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I've just bought a BT Voyager Networking Kit ( 2100 Router/Modem
> and
> 1040 Wireless Adaptor). I have the Router connected to one pc via supplied
> ethernet cable and the router is recognised and connects to the internet
> with
> no problems. My second pc has the wireless adaptor installed and
> recognises
> the router but "cannot connect to the network". I'm using the same
> workgroup
> name and i do get an animated screen showing the computers trying to
> connect,
> but no joy! Any suggestions or settings I should or shouldn't be using?
> Thanks in advance.

Thank you Brian,

I checked that both computers had the correct security settings / key and
then checked the signal strength. I tried ipconfig and it said the wireless
card was disconnected?? Assuming there was a problem with the actual card or
pci slot I swapped slots and hey presto...........worked first time!
Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Shizzy.