Hi

I am running Windows XP with SP1. I have a 56K US Robotics
Message Modem. When I was running Windows 98SE I could
turn my modem on and off at any time and the modem would
still be recognised. With Windows XP if I do not turn the
modem on before I boot the machine the modem is not
recognised and therfore does not connect to the server.

Is there a setting somewhere that allows me to turn the
modem on AFTER booting in XP?

I tried posting this question on the "networking and the
web" group but got no answers.

I'm not sure.

But, if the modem is off at system start and you wish to turn it on, I
think that you can have Windows XP recognize it by going to the "add
hardware" wizard and running a detection for new hardware. Windows XP
should detect the attached modem and then recognize it.

You can access the "add/remove hardware" area in the control panel.

Shane Steinmetz :)