CPU temp IC7-Max

Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how high
is it though to be reading?

Thanks in advance
Patrick
6 answers Last reply
More about temp

    supposedly, the board read higher than the actual temp of the CPU but how
    you are going to determine the actual difference, and use the word accurate,
    is going to be a little tough, personal opinion.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    Due to a rat in da hood,
    no longer running servers on Cox...

    (even though someone turned me in,
    what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

    "Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
    > motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how
    > high
    > is it though to be reading?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Patrick

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
    > motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how
    > high
    > is it though to be reading?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Patrick

    As far as I can recall, there is a test report out there comparing Abit,
    Asus and thermal probe temperatures that indicates that Abit reads high by
    13c. I have Northwood CPU that supposedly should run cooler than a Prescott.
    However, my temperatures have always been high despite relatively high end
    air cooling and I don't overclock. I used Speedfan and a thermal probe to
    measure my temps. Speedfan reports my CPU at idle 60c rising to 72c under
    load. The thermal probe reports the CPU at 40c idle to 46c under load.

    I think you'll find that MBM and Speedfan report similar temps on the IC7-G
    as these arise from Abit's implementation of the chipset. I'm fairly certain
    that my thermal probe under reports the CPU temperature but is more accurate
    than Abits. Last year when I put this system together I spent a great deal
    of time and effort in buggering about with cooling,. I have a well
    ventilated Aluminium Coolermaster Case, a Thermalright XP90 heatsink with a
    93mm fan, Arctic Silver Ceramique, etc.

    My system is 100% stable. I no longer bother to load Speedfan and I seldom
    even look at the temps reported on the LCD on my case. Three things I hate
    about my IC7-G: The silly cheap and nasty NB cooling, the poor
    implementation of the sound chip and these temps, other than that it has
    been as good as average.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message...
    > Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for
    > my new motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu
    > temps high, how high is it though to be reading?

    Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max 2
    Advance) or the IC7-Max3?

    The -G variant is commonly held to overread by a figure in the region of 10
    celcius, although as Tom says there is some debate about this. The Max3
    however reads very accurately, and you should really take its temp probe
    readings at face value.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks for the info, I have the IC7-Max3

    Patrick

    "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message...
    >> Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for
    >> my new motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu
    >> temps high, how high is it though to be reading?
    >
    > Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max
    > 2 Advance) or the IC7-Max3?
    >
    > The -G variant is commonly held to overread by a figure in the region of
    > 10 celcius, although as Tom says there is some debate about this. The Max3
    > however reads very accurately, and you should really take its temp probe
    > readings at face value.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max
    > 2 Advance) or the IC7-Max3?

    As you well know Richard and Tom, I'm referring to my pre-hip hop edition of
    the IC7-G.Max Bling II.

    ;-P
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message...
    > As you well know Richard and Tom, I'm referring to my pre-hip hop
    > edition of the IC7-G.Max Bling II.

    Heheh, indeedy Mr Sulphide. I'm not sure whether this thread shows how
    important it is for posters to be specific and accurate when talking about
    stuff, or whether Abit should know better than to give different
    motherboards such silly, long and easily confused names.

    Then again if Abit made boards with consistent temp probe readings, this
    thread would never have come to pass. ;)
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

CPUs Motherboards Monitors