Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how high
is it though to be reading?

Thanks in advance
Patrick

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

supposedly, the board read higher than the actual temp of the CPU but how
you are going to determine the actual difference, and use the word accurate,
is going to be a little tough, personal opinion.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
> motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how
> high
> is it though to be reading?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Patrick

"Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for my new
> motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu temps high, how
> high
> is it though to be reading?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Patrick

As far as I can recall, there is a test report out there comparing Abit,
Asus and thermal probe temperatures that indicates that Abit reads high by
13c. I have Northwood CPU that supposedly should run cooler than a Prescott.
However, my temperatures have always been high despite relatively high end
air cooling and I don't overclock. I used Speedfan and a thermal probe to
measure my temps. Speedfan reports my CPU at idle 60c rising to 72c under
load. The thermal probe reports the CPU at 40c idle to 46c under load.

I think you'll find that MBM and Speedfan report similar temps on the IC7-G
as these arise from Abit's implementation of the chipset. I'm fairly certain
that my thermal probe under reports the CPU temperature but is more accurate
than Abits. Last year when I put this system together I spent a great deal
of time and effort in buggering about with cooling,. I have a well
ventilated Aluminium Coolermaster Case, a Thermalright XP90 heatsink with a
93mm fan, Arctic Silver Ceramique, etc.

My system is 100% stable. I no longer bother to load Speedfan and I seldom
even look at the temps reported on the LCD on my case. Three things I hate
about my IC7-G: The silly cheap and nasty NB cooling, the poor
implementation of the sound chip and these temps, other than that it has
been as good as average.

"Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message...
> Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for
> my new motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu
> temps high, how high is it though to be reading?

Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max 2
Advance) or the IC7-Max3?

The -G variant is commonly held to overread by a figure in the region of 10
celcius, although as Tom says there is some debate about this. The Max3
however reads very accurately, and you should really take its temp probe
readings at face value.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Thanks for the info, I have the IC7-Max3

Patrick

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Patrick Mc" <mckeethen@comcast.net> wrote in message...
>> Trying to make an accurate adjustment to Motherboard monitor for
>> my new motherboard. This motherboard is known to read its cpu
>> temps high, how high is it though to be reading?
>
> Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max
> 2 Advance) or the IC7-Max3?
>
> The -G variant is commonly held to overread by a figure in the region of
> 10 celcius, although as Tom says there is some debate about this. The Max3
> however reads very accurately, and you should really take its temp probe
> readings at face value.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

> Eh? Which motherboard, specifically, are you talking about? The IC7-G (Max
> 2 Advance) or the IC7-Max3?

As you well know Richard and Tom, I'm referring to my pre-hip hop edition of
the IC7-G.Max Bling II.

;-P

"h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message...
> As you well know Richard and Tom, I'm referring to my pre-hip hop
> edition of the IC7-G.Max Bling II.

Heheh, indeedy Mr Sulphide. I'm not sure whether this thread shows how
important it is for posters to be specific and accurate when talking about
stuff, or whether Abit should know better than to give different
motherboards such silly, long and easily confused names.

Then again if Abit made boards with consistent temp probe readings, this
thread would never have come to pass. ;)