NF7s v2.0: anyway to monitor VDIMM?

I recently had some memory completely die (Patriot Extreme Low Latency,
extreme performance). It was a gig too. It almost took my XP installation
with it (I was getting corrupted file problems from XP, but nothing
suggested the memory was bad until I ran memtest).
Is there anyway to tell what exactly VDIMM is set at on an NF7s v2.0? Should
VDIMM always be set at 2.6V? What's the maximum safe voltage to run VDIMM at
(I had it at 2.9V, now 2.8V)?

--
there is no .sig

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:16:50 +0000, Doug wrote:

> I recently had some memory completely die (Patriot Extreme Low Latency,
> extreme performance). It was a gig too. It almost took my XP installation
> with it (I was getting corrupted file problems from XP, but nothing
> suggested the memory was bad until I ran memtest).
> Is there anyway to tell what exactly VDIMM is set at on an NF7s v2.0? Should
> VDIMM always be set at 2.6V? What's the maximum safe voltage to run VDIMM at
> (I had it at 2.9V, now 2.8V)?

Much of this depends on the actual ram chips used on the dimm module.
Manufacturers set voltage spd data for the nominal (I would hope). Most
dimms I've seen have a 2.5 or 2.6v default. My current rams default is
2.5v and I raised it to 2.6v. OK, I'm lazy and didn't actually look up the
manufacturers specs on the actual ram used on the dimm, but if you want
the real info, that's what you need to do. Going more than .2v over the
default may be dangerous, or maybe not, depending.:)

If you go into the bios - cpu setup softmenu - you will see how the
DDR SDRAM voltage is set. The default is 2.6v. If you are not
overclocking your memory, leave it at the default voltage, higher
voltage by itself will make no difference. If you are overclocking
you need to play with the voltage and your cooling to find out the
maximum before it fails.

Ak

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:16:50 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>I recently had some memory completely die (Patriot Extreme Low Latency,
>extreme performance). It was a gig too. It almost took my XP installation
>with it (I was getting corrupted file problems from XP, but nothing
>suggested the memory was bad until I ran memtest).
>Is there anyway to tell what exactly VDIMM is set at on an NF7s v2.0? Should
>VDIMM always be set at 2.6V? What's the maximum safe voltage to run VDIMM at
>(I had it at 2.9V, now 2.8V)?

The thing is, that I set the VDIMM to 2.9V and everything was stable until
the RAM completely died. My Kingston RAM doesn't seem to work reliably at
anything under 2.8V on a 204 Mhz bus speed.

--
there is no .sig
"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
> If you go into the bios - cpu setup softmenu - you will see how the
> DDR SDRAM voltage is set. The default is 2.6v. If you are not
> overclocking your memory, leave it at the default voltage, higher
> voltage by itself will make no difference. If you are overclocking
> you need to play with the voltage and your cooling to find out the
> maximum before it fails.
>
> Ak
>

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:16:50 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently had some memory completely die (Patriot Extreme Low Latency,
>>extreme performance). It was a gig too. It almost took my XP installation
>>with it (I was getting corrupted file problems from XP, but nothing
>>suggested the memory was bad until I ran memtest).
>>Is there anyway to tell what exactly VDIMM is set at on an NF7s v2.0?
>>Should
>>VDIMM always be set at 2.6V? What's the maximum safe voltage to run VDIMM
>>at
>>(I had it at 2.9V, now 2.8V)?

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>My Kingston RAM doesn't seem to work reliably at anything under 2.8V on a
>204 Mhz bus speed.

Isn't the bios max set to 2.8v ? I had to do a Vdimm voltage mod, and
measure the voltage (carefully) using a voltmeter. It's around 3v now.

rms

The max VDIMM on my NF7s v2.0 (w/the NF7d_27 BIOS) is 2.9. I hope you're not
running Patriot memory, if my experience w/it is at all indicative it's
going to fry.

RMS are you taking any special precautions to ensure your RAM isn't
overheating? What if I were to remove the RAMsinks from my RAM and put some
arctic silver between the RAM and the heatsink? Would that make any
difference?

I've got replacement Patriot Extreme Performance Low-latency PC3200 coming
in, I'm hoping 2.8V VDIMM won't fry it.

--
there is no .sig
"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >My Kingston RAM doesn't seem to work reliably at anything under 2.8V on a
> >204 Mhz bus speed.
>
> Isn't the bios max set to 2.8v ? I had to do a Vdimm voltage mod, and
> measure the voltage (carefully) using a voltmeter. It's around 3v now.
>
> rms

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> RMS are you taking any special precautions to ensure your RAM isn't
> overheating?

Ram doesn't overheat that I've ever heard of. The north/southbridges
are what you worry about if voltmodded, and they don't get too hot either.

rms

Patriot tech support said they don't recommend going above 2.8V on VDIMM. Do
you exceed the rated VDIMM on your memory? Or is this too risky?