disappearing hard drive space

April 15, 2004 4:18:17 AM

I recently had a major crash and had to do a recovery.
The good thing is it got rid of all the rubbish, and I
was starting afresh and being more careful about what I
downloaded.

I downloaded Ad-Aware, Spybot, Panicware popup stopper,
Sygate, AVG, Blackice, Ace mega codecs and a couple of
other small things.

I then had 31.1 GB hard disc space. After a couple of
days the computer started switching itself off. Sometimes
every 10 minutes or sometimes it would run for hours.

Suddenly I noticed I only had 25.4GB hard disc space left.

AVG which automatically scans every 24 hours said No
virus found. Just to be safe I downloaded Norton which
came with the computer -- downloaded updates and did a
complete scan--No virus found.

So my question is: Where has my 6GBs gone overnight?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:27:55 PM

Robert wrote:

> I recently had a major crash and had to do a recovery.
> The good thing is it got rid of all the rubbish, and I
> was starting afresh and being more careful about what I
> downloaded.
>
> I downloaded Ad-Aware, Spybot, Panicware popup stopper,
> Sygate, AVG, Blackice, Ace mega codecs and a couple of
> other small things.
>
> I then had 31.1 GB hard disc space. After a couple of
> days the computer started switching itself off. Sometimes
> every 10 minutes or sometimes it would run for hours.
>
> Suddenly I noticed I only had 25.4GB hard disc space left.
>
> AVG which automatically scans every 24 hours said No
> virus found. Just to be safe I downloaded Norton which
> came with the computer -- downloaded updates and did a
> complete scan--No virus found.
>
> So my question is: Where has my 6GBs gone overnight?
Right click trash bin and purge Norton protected files.

shaka
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 5:42:25 AM

Hello Robert,
Try running cleanmgr from Start, Run.
This looks at a number of items where files are backed up.
Just to list some ot the items it searchs for and prompts to delete:
Temp files
Internet Temp files
System Restore
Internet History