disappearing hard drive space

I recently had a major crash and had to do a recovery.
The good thing is it got rid of all the rubbish, and I
was starting afresh and being more careful about what I
downloaded.

I downloaded Ad-Aware, Spybot, Panicware popup stopper,
Sygate, AVG, Blackice, Ace mega codecs and a couple of
other small things.

I then had 31.1 GB hard disc space. After a couple of
days the computer started switching itself off. Sometimes
every 10 minutes or sometimes it would run for hours.

Suddenly I noticed I only had 25.4GB hard disc space left.

AVG which automatically scans every 24 hours said No
virus found. Just to be safe I downloaded Norton which
came with the computer -- downloaded updates and did a
complete scan--No virus found.

So my question is: Where has my 6GBs gone overnight?
2 answers Last reply
More about disappearing hard drive space

    Robert wrote:

    > I recently had a major crash and had to do a recovery.
    > The good thing is it got rid of all the rubbish, and I
    > was starting afresh and being more careful about what I
    > downloaded.
    >
    > I downloaded Ad-Aware, Spybot, Panicware popup stopper,
    > Sygate, AVG, Blackice, Ace mega codecs and a couple of
    > other small things.
    >
    > I then had 31.1 GB hard disc space. After a couple of
    > days the computer started switching itself off. Sometimes
    > every 10 minutes or sometimes it would run for hours.
    >
    > Suddenly I noticed I only had 25.4GB hard disc space left.
    >
    > AVG which automatically scans every 24 hours said No
    > virus found. Just to be safe I downloaded Norton which
    > came with the computer -- downloaded updates and did a
    > complete scan--No virus found.
    >
    > So my question is: Where has my 6GBs gone overnight?
    Right click trash bin and purge Norton protected files.

    shaka

    Hello Robert,
    Try running cleanmgr from Start, Run.
    This looks at a number of items where files are backed up.
    Just to list some ot the items it searchs for and prompts to delete:
    Temp files
    Internet Temp files
    System Restore
    Internet History
    Recycle Bin

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: "Robert" <gzq44500@nifty.ne.jp>
    >Sender: "Robert" <gzq44500@nifty.ne.jp>
    >Subject: disappearing hard drive space
    >Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:18:17 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >
    >I recently had a major crash and had to do a recovery.
    >The good thing is it got rid of all the rubbish, and I
    >was starting afresh and being more careful about what I
    >downloaded.
    >
    >I downloaded Ad-Aware, Spybot, Panicware popup stopper,
    >Sygate, AVG, Blackice, Ace mega codecs and a couple of
    >other small things.
    >
    >I then had 31.1 GB hard disc space. After a couple of
    >days the computer started switching itself off. Sometimes
    >every 10 minutes or sometimes it would run for hours.
    >
    >Suddenly I noticed I only had 25.4GB hard disc space left.
    >
    >AVG which automatically scans every 24 hours said No
    >virus found. Just to be safe I downloaded Norton which
    >came with the computer -- downloaded updates and did a
    >complete scan--No virus found.
    >
    >So my question is: Where has my 6GBs gone overnight?

Hard Drives Windows XP