USB drive not assigned drive letter

Please help!
I attached an external hdd to my Dell PC via a USB
enclosure. WinXP recognizes and installs the drive, then
says it is working properly. The problem is that the
drive does not show up in "My Computer", so I can't
access it!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
9 answers Last reply
More about drive assigned drive letter

    Use disk management to format it if it isn't already.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    "Rich" <muaddib10191@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Please help!
    | I attached an external hdd to my Dell PC via a USB
    | enclosure. WinXP recognizes and installs the drive, then
    | says it is working properly. The problem is that the
    | drive does not show up in "My Computer", so I can't
    | access it!
    | Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    The drive was already formatted, and has data on it.

    Iam facing the same problem.
    I have a USB flash for my XP home machine. When I connect
    it I get the new hardware connected message. But (always
    a but) it does not appear as a drive under my computer
    (or anywhere else) I can unplug or remove it OK but just
    cant see it. In device manager it is healthy etc etc etc.
    I have done the whole help wizard thing.
    On another profile (guest) on the same computer it is
    there and i can access it fine.

    Try from a different profile to see if that works. Until
    then Im keen to see if there is somebody out there that
    understands more than me.

    Havent solved the problem but have found a way around it.
    Go to mycomputer- right click and go to manage. Open up
    disk management. Right click on disk management go
    to "all tasks" then to "explore". You will see your USB
    there. Click on it and drag it to your desktop. You now
    have access to the USB drive but not in my computer. So
    not solved but I can live with it

    Hello,
    While in Disk Management, you should be able to right-click on the drive
    and choose change the Drive Letter.
    Is this option available?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Sender: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Subject: Re: USB drive not assigned drive letter
    >Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:50:49 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >
    >Havent solved the problem but have found a way around it.
    >Go to mycomputer- right click and go to manage. Open up
    >disk management. Right click on disk management go
    >to "all tasks" then to "explore". You will see your USB
    >there. Click on it and drag it to your desktop. You now
    >have access to the USB drive but not in my computer. So
    >not solved but I can live with it

    yes can do all that but still cant see it

    Hello,
    Hmm it needs drive letter to be displayed, so after you assign it a drive
    letter can you open a cmd prompt and change to that drive?

    Have you tired reformatting the drive?

    you can hide specific drive letters using group policy so you may want to
    make sure that any drive letters are not hidden:
    231289 Using Group Policy Objects to Hide Specified Drives in My Computer
    for
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231289

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Sender: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Subject: Re: USB drive not assigned drive letter
    >Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:24:31 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    >
    >yes can do all that but still cant see it

    I've got the sam problem. Send any help my way too,
    please!!

    Right click on My Computer..select Manage

    On the following screen, click on Disk Management....

    Drive will appear on the right hand side of the screen, now you can
    partition and format it and assign it a drive letter.
    www.coribright.com

    "Dhan" <integr8ted@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I've got the sam problem. Send any help my way too,
    > please!!

USB Drive External Hard Drive Windows XP