matt

Hi,
I have a Toshiba A30-614 Satelite laptop that I would like
to put XP Pro on. When I try this the USB 2 controller
does not function.

XP home is fine!!!

The Controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced
Host Controller - 24CD

Can anyone help ?

Laptop computers require specialized drivers. Visit the Toshiba support
website and download all the applicable Windows XP drivers for your
specific laptop model. Example:

System Bus Management
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_drivers_bios.jsp?z=90&service=UK

Files Download
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_drivers_bios.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Matt" <matt_trigg1973@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message:

| Hi,
| I have a Toshiba A30-614 Satelite laptop that I would like
| to put XP Pro on. When I try this the USB 2 controller
| does not function.
|
| XP home is fine!!!
|
| The Controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced
| Host Controller - 24CD
|
| Can anyone help ?

matt

Thanks for that info, already tried that though...there
does not seem to be anything on their website. I can get
it all working just fine using the system image disk
supplied by toshiba ( but it is XP Home ), I purchased XP
Pro last year to go on my previous laptop and this is why
I want to use XP Pro.....what is so different on this
version that USB2 wont work ? Meant to say, managed to get
it working with Win2k!!! Any other ideas or help
gratefully received.

thanks

Matt

--------------

>"Matt" <matt_trigg1973@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message:
>
>| Hi,
>| I have a Toshiba A30-614 Satelite laptop that I would
like
>| to put XP Pro on. When I try this the USB 2 controller
>| does not function.
>|
>| XP home is fine!!!
>|
>| The Controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced
>| Host Controller - 24CD
>|
>| Can anyone help ?
>.

Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314634

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603&Product=winxp

--

| Thanks for that info, already tried that though...there
| does not seem to be anything on their website. I can get
| it all working just fine using the system image disk
| supplied by toshiba ( but it is XP Home ), I purchased XP
| Pro last year to go on my previous laptop and this is why
| I want to use XP Pro.....what is so different on this
| version that USB2 wont work ? Meant to say, managed to get
| it working with Win2k!!! Any other ideas or help
| gratefully received.
|
| thanks
|
| Matt

matt

That seems to address devices that plug into the ports, my
issue is not with devices but the actual usb controller.
Is there any way I can seperate the drivers that are
working in the XP Home version and transfer them to XP Pro
if I write them to a CD?

Toshiba have just come back to me saying they do not think
XP Pro will work with this laptop, yet it works on the
HOME version....any particular reason for this ?

Cheers, appreciate your help.

Matt

us;822603&Product=winxp

>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>
>Be Smart! Protect your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------

>"Matt" <matt_trigg1973@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message:
>
>| Thanks for that info, already tried that though...there
>| does not seem to be anything on their website. I can
get
>| it all working just fine using the system image disk
>| supplied by toshiba ( but it is XP Home ), I purchased
XP
>| Pro last year to go on my previous laptop and this is
why
>| I want to use XP Pro.....what is so different on this
>| version that USB2 wont work ? Meant to say, managed to
get
>| it working with Win2k!!! Any other ideas or help
>| gratefully received.
>|
>| thanks
>|
>| Matt
>
>.

Andrew

I have exactly the same problem with a Tosh A30 - USB worked fine on HOme and when i did and upgrade today to Professional USB devices are not recognised.

I have tried the 3 previously suggested solutions but none sem to help. The regedit one sounded like it could work but I dont have the USB folder entry in the registry although i do have other usb*** folder entries but did not want to change those.

Any further information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

matt

Do you get the same as me in that the host controller
appears with an exclamtion mark in Hardware ?

I just don't understand what is so different with XP home
and Pro that stops the USB 2 working.

I actually tried an upgrade to Pro, it kept restarting on
device search part of the setup, would never get past it
however long I left it running.

Help. someone please :eek:)

Andrew

I dont have any conflicts show up in the Device Manager and Prof installs just fine but now it just doesnt find USB devices at all.

I have a slightly differernt model to you (A30-141) Toshiba say that I should do a clean install of professional rather than the upgrade and that might help.

Andrew

peter

Hi,

Have you tried to backup all the data files and then perform a clean installation of XP Pro?
I have installed XP PRO for my friend's 4 years old Toshiba Satelite laptop (CPU PII400MHz 128 MB SD Ram) and it works fine. After installed SP1, I can use a PCMCIA USB2.0 card, just plug and play.

BTW, have you updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for the laptop?

Peter

----- Matt wrote: -----

Do you get the same as me in that the host controller
appears with an exclamtion mark in Hardware ?

I just don't understand what is so different with XP home
and Pro that stops the USB 2 working.

I actually tried an upgrade to Pro, it kept restarting on
device search part of the setup, would never get past it
however long I left it running.

Help. someone please :eek:)

matt

I have tried the clean install, it installs fine but no
USB host Controller.

Toshiba tell me I probably cant install XP pro....ace!!!
That's Technical Support for you.

matt

Would love to update the BIOS but it asks to install the
update to a floppy. I don't have a floppy drive.

The really annoying thing is I want XP pro, I can only use
XP home and that is the one that Toshiba supply and it has
all their other software that I don't want.

Ah well, seems it is not to be!!!

Thanks

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:19:54 -0700, "Matt"
<matt_trigg1973@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a Toshiba A30-614 Satelite laptop that I would like
>to put XP Pro on. When I try this the USB 2 controller
>does not function.
>
>XP home is fine!!!
>
>The Controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced
>Host Controller - 24CD
>
>Can anyone help ?

Sounds like the USB2 drivers with Win XP are not compatible with your
Intel USB controllers. You need to d/l the motherboard drivers for
your laptop and replace the existing drivers. The drivers may come on
a CD with the laptop or just d/l from Toshiba's website.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

For USB2 to function you must load the USB2 drivers which are included in
the WinXP SP1 update. USB2 drivers are not included with the WinXP
software.