New HDD Not Recognised In Explorer

Hi
I have just installed a new hdd - Hitachi 7k250 160GB - set the jumper settings to "slave" and connected it to the grey plastic connector on an 80 pin ribbon cable.

After booting up the drive is recognised in the "bios" and under "device manager" but doesnt show in the explorer window. Device manager tells me the device is working properly but Iam unable to access it or format it.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong or missed?

Thanks

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about recognised explorer

    Hi,

    Right click My Computer/manage/disk management
    Double click disk management, in the lower right pane, you should see Dsik 0 and Dsik1 where disk 1 is the slave drive.
    Right click on it and select initialize drive. After initizlized the drive, you can assign a drive letter by right click on the drive volume, then format and partition the drive to your desire.

    Peter

    ----- Chris wrote: -----

    Hi
    I have just installed a new hdd - Hitachi 7k250 160GB - set the jumper settings to "slave" and connected it to the grey plastic connector on an 80 pin ribbon cable.

    After booting up the drive is recognised in the "bios" and under "device manager" but doesnt show in the explorer window. Device manager tells me the device is working properly but Iam unable to access it or format it.

    Any ideas what I may have done wrong or missed?

    Thanks

    Chris

    Thanks Peter
    I tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly - thanks again.

    Regards

    Chris

Device Manager Hard Drives Explorer Windows XP