Does anyone know the physical location of the KV7 motherbo..

The KV7 has an oddity where the CPU temp is about three degrees lower
than the system temp. I can't spot the board temperature sensor
location. If anyone knows. I'd appreciate the info. RTM'd but no
mention of the sensor location in the manual or the Abit website.

I don't think this is a bug, or indeed anything that needs resolution
- just my curiosity itching. All my other boards have always had a
warmer CPU. There's a constant 3*C spread at idle (40*C CPU - 43*C
board) is typical. They both track ambient air temp in lockstep.
Under load, the board will heat up faster and further than the CPU
(43*C CPU - 50*C board) is typical. I think this is due to having a
huge slug of copper sitting on the CPU and no active cooling for the
board sensor. The temperatures converge back to the 3*C spread.

My prime suspicion is that it might be adjacent to the NB and under
the umbrella of the NB heat sink/fan. The next candidate would be
near the memory sticks. Or anywhere else that produces heat linked to
CPU processing. A big problem is that I have no idea what it might
look like. The tasks involved are CPU/RAM intensive, no graphics load
and very little I/O to external SCSI drives.

I don't think anything is amiss here, the system has been flawless
since I built it a couple months ago - it was the easiest, most
uneventful board install I've ever done. Curiosity is a harsh master.
--
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered

Spajky

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:20:08 GMT, tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:

> I can't spot the board temperature sensor
>location. If anyone knows. I'd appreciate the info.

take a thin plastic tube & blow toward different parts of MoBo while
watching temps; when drops fast for few deg.C, you located the area
.... :)
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:26:40 +0200, Spajky <Spajky@##volja.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:20:08 GMT, tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:
>
>> I can't spot the board temperature sensor
>>location. If anyone knows. I'd appreciate the info.
>
>take a thin plastic tube & blow toward different parts of MoBo while
>watching temps; when drops fast for few deg.C, you located the area
>... :)
Now that's a simplistic, banal and almost trite response that borders
on the verge of insulting!!!

Made all the more intolerable by the fact that I didn't think of it
meself :) Thanks for the idea - I'm sure it will put the curiosity
beast at bay.
--

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:08:04 GMT, tanstafl <me@mine.xxz> wrote:
> I can't spot the board temperature sensor

>>take a thin plastic tube & blow toward different parts of MoBo while
>>watching temps;

>Now that's a simplistic, banal and almost trite response that borders
>on the verge of insulting!!!

:)))

thats How I spot mine 1cm2 close, than with magnifying glass I checked
all smd stuff there & I spotted an smd resistor like unmarked element
& measured it on my MoBo ... it was a approx.10k resistance (10k
NTC).. yep, the onboard sensor ... :)