Can't Reboot only Shutdown

My PC hangs when I initiate a reboot from the Start Menu. I can shutdown
but when I reboot it says it shutting down and the monitor goes black. The
LED lights on the front stay lit and the fans keep spinning though. I have
to manually reset to bring it back up. This recently started after I
upgraded to Windows XP. I reformatted the hard drive back to Windows 98 to
see if it was OS related and the problem still ocurred. Is there anything I
can due to find out what hardware may be causing the problem?

PC Specs:
Model: Gateway Select
OS: WinXP
Chipset: AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 800 MHz
RAM: 256MB

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about reboot shutdown

    Hi

    For shutdown/restart problems, please have a look at MVP Jim Eshelman's web
    site:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/tshoot.htm

    --

    Will Denny

    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    "Jeff Travers" <Jeff.Travers@sjc.state.ma.us> wrote in message
    > My PC hangs when I initiate a reboot from the Start Menu. I can shutdown
    > but when I reboot it says it shutting down and the monitor goes black.
    > The
    > LED lights on the front stay lit and the fans keep spinning though. I
    > have
    > to manually reset to bring it back up. This recently started after I
    > upgraded to Windows XP. I reformatted the hard drive back to Windows 98
    > see if it was OS related and the problem still ocurred. Is there anything
    > can due to find out what hardware may be causing the problem?
    >
    > PC Specs:
    > Model: Gateway Select
    > OS: WinXP
    > Chipset: AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 800 MHz
    > RAM: 256MB
    >
    > Thanks

    ---

    Unfortunately I've tried the fixes on the site. Even with a different OS
    the problems reappear. That's why I'm thinking it's hardware related.

    > Hi
    >
    > For shutdown/restart problems, please have a look at MVP Jim Eshelman's
    web
    > site:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/tshoot.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    >
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > "Jeff Travers" <Jeff.Travers@sjc.state.ma.us> wrote in message
    > > My PC hangs when I initiate a reboot from the Start Menu. I can
    shutdown
    > > but when I reboot it says it shutting down and the monitor goes black.
    > > The
    > > LED lights on the front stay lit and the fans keep spinning though. I
    > > have
    > > to manually reset to bring it back up. This recently started after I
    > > upgraded to Windows XP. I reformatted the hard drive back to Windows 98
    > > see if it was OS related and the problem still ocurred. Is there
    anything
    > > can due to find out what hardware may be causing the problem?
    > >
    > > PC Specs:
    > > Model: Gateway Select
    > > OS: WinXP
    > > Chipset: AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 800 MHz
    > > RAM: 256MB
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > ---

Windows XP