Can't Reboot only Shutdown

April 15, 2004 4:14:21 PM

My PC hangs when I initiate a reboot from the Start Menu. I can shutdown
but when I reboot it says it shutting down and the monitor goes black. The
LED lights on the front stay lit and the fans keep spinning though. I have
to manually reset to bring it back up. This recently started after I
upgraded to Windows XP. I reformatted the hard drive back to Windows 98 to
see if it was OS related and the problem still ocurred. Is there anything I
can due to find out what hardware may be causing the problem?

PC Specs:
Model: Gateway Select
OS: WinXP
Chipset: AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 800 MHz
RAM: 256MB

Thanks

More about : reboot shutdown

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 9:18:57 PM

Hi

For shutdown/restart problems, please have a look at MVP Jim Eshelman's web
site:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
http://aumha.org/win5/a/tshoot.htm

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Jeff Travers" <Jeff.Travers@sjc.state.ma.us> wrote in message
> My PC hangs when I initiate a reboot from the Start Menu. I can shutdown
> but when I reboot it says it shutting down and the monitor goes black.
> The
> LED lights on the front stay lit and the fans keep spinning though. I
> have
> to manually reset to bring it back up. This recently started after I
> upgraded to Windows XP. I reformatted the hard drive back to Windows 98
> see if it was OS related and the problem still ocurred. Is there anything
> can due to find out what hardware may be causing the problem?
>
> PC Specs:
> Model: Gateway Select
> OS: WinXP
> Chipset: AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" 800 MHz
> RAM: 256MB
>
> Thanks

---
April 15, 2004 9:18:58 PM

Unfortunately I've tried the fixes on the site. Even with a different OS
the problems reappear. That's why I'm thinking it's hardware related.