Abit board for the Athlon64 X2 3800+ Need some help pickin..

Now that the X2 Cpus are cheapish. I might get one but i need a board.

Iam going the hold hog. SATA 2 300 or whatever they call it now. I
would like to go SLI if possilbe. But dont want to go two 6800 gts.
But two 6600 gts but not sure if thats even woth it.

So i might just go Single Vidcard. But i do want usb 2, lan ect the
works.

Recomend a good board.

Thanks.

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005, No One Realy wrote:

>> Now that the X2 Cpus are cheapish. I might get one but i need a board.
>>
>> Iam going the hold hog.

The expression is "whole hog" (not a small meal, we're gonna FEAST!)

>> SATA 2 300 or whatever they call it now.

SATA 2 differs from SATA 1 ONLY in the electronics interface .:. not a
big difference. Faster disks must spin faster (15K SCSI drives are hard
to beat) or work in parallel (RAID-5) or they're not really faster.

>> I would like to go SLI if possilbe. But dont want to go two 6800 gts.
>> But two 6600 gts but not sure if thats even woth it.
>>
>> So i might just go Single Vidcard.

I'm as interested in vid card recommendations as you are... there's WAY
too much advertising and bleeding edge for my sense of comfort.

>> But i do want usb 2,

There's an unfortunate difference between the advertising of USB-2 and
devices that actually do the work at that speed.

>> lan ect the works.

Recommendation 1: get a GOOD power supply.
Recommendation 2: get GOOD RAM.
Recommendation 3: get a case that provides adequate cooling, room to
work, sound suppression, etc.
4: worry about which Mobo.
5: worry about the vid card and monitor.

What's this machines' intended usage?

Linux, BSD, or Windows?

Not much point getting a SLI motherboard - with two 6600 gts video
cards unless you want several monitors. Just one 7800 GTX motherboard
will do just fine. :) I'm having a hard time picking an Abit
motherboard because I do want a serial and parallel port and not want
to buy a PCI card.

I've been happy with ABit since my old BH6 and I am still happy with
my NF7-S but maybe it is time to switch to Asus. The A8N-E looks good
but make sure it has the latest bios for the AMD X2.

Ak

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:37:37 +1000, No One Realy <No one.com> wrote:

>Now that the X2 Cpus are cheapish. I might get one but i need a board.
>
>Iam going the hold hog. SATA 2 300 or whatever they call it now. I
>would like to go SLI if possilbe. But dont want to go two 6800 gts.
>But two 6600 gts but not sure if thats even woth it.
>
>So i might just go Single Vidcard. But i do want usb 2, lan ect the
>works.
>
>Recomend a good board.
>
>Thanks.

I've used Asus boards before, and although I think they're fine, do give
Epox a look. I've got an Epox 8RDA+ that's been fantastic. And unlike with
Asus, the manual is readable and accurate. I've also been happy with my
Abit NF7-S2. If I were to buy a new board today, it would either be Abit or
Epox. ... And Epox has the serial and parallel ports you're looking for.

Regards,

Margaret

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
> Not much point getting a SLI motherboard - with two 6600 gts video
> cards unless you want several monitors. Just one 7800 GTX motherboard
> will do just fine. :) I'm having a hard time picking an Abit
> motherboard because I do want a serial and parallel port and not want
> to buy a PCI card.
>
> I've been happy with ABit since my old BH6 and I am still happy with
> my NF7-S but maybe it is time to switch to Asus. The A8N-E looks good
> but make sure it has the latest bios for the AMD X2.
>
> Ak
>

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:37:37 +1000, No One Realy <No one.com> wrote:
>

>>Now that the X2 Cpus are cheapish. I might get one but i need a board.
>>
>>Iam going the hold hog. SATA 2 300 or whatever they call it now. I
>>would like to go SLI if possilbe. But dont want to go two 6800 gts.
>>But two 6600 gts but not sure if thats even woth it.
>>
>>So i might just go Single Vidcard. But i do want usb 2, lan ect the
>>works.
>>
>>Recomend a good board.
>>
>>Thanks.

Thanks for the Epox suggestion but the online shops I surf in Canada
do not stock them or only have old stock.

Ak