Wireless Internet and File and Printer Sharing

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 24, 2004 2:47:44 PM

Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP

MY EQUIPMENT:

Router Netgear MR815 v2
Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
PC WinXP
Laptop Win98 SE

MY NEW CONFIGURATION:

PC hardwired to router
Laptop wireless to router
Router hardwired to wideband equipment
PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router

MY PROBLEM:

Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
Laptop connecting

seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
dialup networking performance

was poor and to be expected.

After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
have tried several

suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
Internet

sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
order for my laptop to

connect to the internet.

SOLUTION REQUIRED:

I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
Laptop. I am

starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
router and my widband equipment.

Any help would be appreciated
RSW
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
November 24, 2004 7:21:16 PM

Somebody has given you some bad info; you certainly don't need a second
router, nor do you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing...in fact,
make sure it's disabled.

Make sure the XP PC firewall is set to allow exceptions (control panel,
security).

I'm sure someone here will come up with a link for troubleshooting and
basics, but in the meantime, what do you mean you "can't enable" file and
printer sharing? What happens if you try? Does it just not work?

First, make sure the computers all have unique names (right click My
Computer, choose properties, Computer Name tab, make sure the computer name
is different than the other one, or change it. The easiest way for file
sharing may be to go into 'My Network Places' in XP and run the wizard (set
up a home or small office network link). Make sure the workgroup name is
the same on all, and you tell it that you want to share files and printers.
Then have it, at the end, make a network setup disk for the 98 machine (or
use the XP CD if you don't have a floppy in the laptop).Then open Windows
explorer, right click the drives or folders you want to share, and choose
the 'sharing' item.

Gary

"RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
news:D 3d3b4c8.0411241147.157898d8@posting.google.com...
> Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
>
> MY EQUIPMENT:
>
> Router Netgear MR815 v2
> Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> PC WinXP
> Laptop Win98 SE
>
> MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
>
> PC hardwired to router
> Laptop wireless to router
> Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
>
> MY PROBLEM:
>
> Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> Laptop connecting
>
> seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> dialup networking performance
>
> was poor and to be expected.
>
> After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> have tried several
>
> suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> Internet
>
> sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> order for my laptop to
>
> connect to the internet.
>
> SOLUTION REQUIRED:
>
> I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> Laptop. I am
>
> starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> router and my widband equipment.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> RSW
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
November 24, 2004 8:09:06 PM

I know this is a stupid question, but I would like to post a question. How do
I do that?

"RSW" wrote:

> Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
>
> MY EQUIPMENT:
>
> Router Netgear MR815 v2
> Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> PC WinXP
> Laptop Win98 SE
>
> MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
>
> PC hardwired to router
> Laptop wireless to router
> Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
>
> MY PROBLEM:
>
> Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> Laptop connecting
>
> seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> dialup networking performance
>
> was poor and to be expected.
>
> After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> have tried several
>
> suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> Internet
>
> sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> order for my laptop to
>
> connect to the internet.
>
> SOLUTION REQUIRED:
>
> I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> Laptop. I am
>
> starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> router and my widband equipment.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> RSW

Related resources
November 25, 2004 10:02:26 AM

"Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<u#P1uSo0EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Somebody has given you some bad info; you certainly don't need a second
> router, nor do you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing...in fact,
> make sure it's disabled.
>
> Make sure the XP PC firewall is set to allow exceptions (control panel,
> security). NOT RUNNING XP FIREWALL
>
> I'm sure someone here will come up with a link for troubleshooting and
> basics, but in the meantime, what do you mean you "can't enable" file and
> printer sharing? What happens if you try? Does it just not work?

SORRY I CAN ENABLE FILE AND PRINT SHARING IT JUST DOES NOT WORK

> First, make sure the computers all have unique names (right click My
> Computer, choose properties, Computer Name tab, make sure the computer name
> is different than the other one, or change it.
SAME WORKGROUP NAME. UNIQUE COMPUTER NAMES, USERNAMES, AND
PASSWORDS
The easiest way for file
> sharing may be to go into 'My Network Places' in XP and run the wizard (set
> up a home or small office network link).

Make sure the workgroup name is
> the same on all, and you tell it that you want to share files and printers.
> Then have it, at the end, make a network setup disk for the 98 machine
WHY DO I NEED A NETWORK SETUP DISK?
(or
> use the XP CD if you don't have a floppy in the laptop).Then open Windows
> explorer, right click the drives or folders you want to share, and choose
> the 'sharing' item.
I HAVE DONE THAT

Sorry for using the CAPS I am not yelling at you, just wanted to
hi-light my response
RSW

> Gary
>
> "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 3d3b4c8.0411241147.157898d8@posting.google.com...
> > Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> > sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
> >
> > MY EQUIPMENT:
> >
> > Router Netgear MR815 v2
> > Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> > NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> > PC WinXP
> > Laptop Win98 SE
> >
> > MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
> >
> > PC hardwired to router
> > Laptop wireless to router
> > Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> > PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
> >
> > MY PROBLEM:
> >
> > Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> > wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> > Laptop connecting
> >
> > seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> > configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> > dialup networking performance
> >
> > was poor and to be expected.
> >
> > After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> > internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> > have tried several
> >
> > suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> > I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> > Internet
> >
> > sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> > connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> > order for my laptop to
> >
> > connect to the internet.
> >
> > SOLUTION REQUIRED:
> >
> > I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> > my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> > Laptop. I am
> >
> > starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> > router and my widband equipment.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
> > RSW
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 12:09:08 PM

I am having the same problem. I've searched these forums and it seems others
are having them as well. I tried many things. All of my conditions are the
same (ie unique names, firewalls disabled etc) still nothing.

Strange thing though, when I first set the network up, it worked! I saw all
the files and shared printer. Then the file sharing was lost-but the printer
worked. Strange. Now I've somehow excluded the printer and nothing works.

Your help is appreciated.

"RSW" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > was poor and to be expected.
> > >
> > > After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> > > internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> > > have tried several
> > >
> > > suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> > > I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> > > Internet
> > >
> > > sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> > > connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> > > order for my laptop to
> > >
> > > connect to the internet.
> > >
> > > SOLUTION REQUIRED:
> > >
> > > I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> > > my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> > > Laptop. I am
> > >
> > > starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 1:08:27 PM

>>WHY DO I NEED A NETWORK SETUP DISK?

The network setup disk just helps make sure the needed things are installed
and configured for the network; it's not a necessity, just insurance and
sometimes catches something you missed. For ME or XP with the connection
wizard, it's pretty unimportant, but for 98 or 95 can help quite a bit.

If the laptop has a wired ethernet connector, I'd suggest connecting the
entire network as a wired network to begin with (temporarily). If you get
it working as a wired network, you have fewer possibilities to deal with if
the wireless doesn't work (you know where to look).

If it doesn't work wired, you might take the router out of the picture, and
connect the two computers with a crossover cable or through a normal hub or
switch if you have one. I've seen some routers that are cantankerous to
configure, causing problems with sharing, so if you have a setup program for
the router, try that and follow it exactly.

If they can't see each other through a normal hub or crossover, another
machine that networks easily (Winxp or ME with no firewall) could be added
to the network and maybe tell you which of the machines isn't responding
correctly.

One thing that comes to mind it that the Win98 machine could have had file
and printer sharing disabled for the tcp/ip connection to the network, which
you could check through the network neighborhood, the tcp/ip-network adapter
properties. This was a security measure done semi-automatically by the
security check, but if you're using that connection for the router, would
cause a sharing problem. If the Win98 has IPX protocol installed, you
should probably remove it, just to simplify things, and it's really of no
use.

If you get them communicating on the wired system, hook them both back wired
to the router and see if they still work. If so, next step would be
wireless for the laptop. This will at least narrow down where to look for
problems.

Gary

"MRAhhaha" <MRAhhaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem. I've searched these forums and it seems
>others
> are having them as well. I tried many things. All of my conditions are the
> same (ie unique names, firewalls disabled etc) still nothing.
>
> Strange thing though, when I first set the network up, it worked! I saw
> all
> the files and shared printer. Then the file sharing was lost-but the
> printer
> worked. Strange. Now I've somehow excluded the printer and nothing works.
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>
> "RSW" wrote:
>
>> "Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message
>> > Somebody has given you some bad info; you certainly don't need a second
>> > router, nor do you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing...in
>> > fact,
>> > make sure it's disabled.
>> >
>> > Make sure the XP PC firewall is set to allow exceptions (control panel,
>> > security). NOT RUNNING XP FIREWALL
>> >
>> > I'm sure someone here will come up with a link for troubleshooting and
>> > basics, but in the meantime, what do you mean you "can't enable" file
>> > and
>> > printer sharing? What happens if you try? Does it just not work?
>>
>> SORRY I CAN ENABLE FILE AND PRINT SHARING IT JUST DOES NOT WORK
>> >
>> > First, make sure the computers all have unique names (right click My
>> > Computer, choose properties, Computer Name tab, make sure the computer
>> > name
>> > is different than the other one, or change it.
>> SAME WORKGROUP NAME. UNIQUE COMPUTER NAMES, USERNAMES, AND
>> PASSWORDS
>> The easiest way for file
>> > sharing may be to go into 'My Network Places' in XP and run the wizard
>> > (set
>> > up a home or small office network link).
>>

>> Make sure the workgroup name is
>> > the same on all, and you tell it that you want to share files and
>> > printers.
>> > Then have it, at the end, make a network setup disk for the 98 machine
>> WHY DO I NEED A NETWORK SETUP DISK?
>> (or
>> > use the XP CD if you don't have a floppy in the laptop).Then open
>> > Windows
>> > explorer, right click the drives or folders you want to share, and
>> > choose
>> > the 'sharing' item.
>> I HAVE DONE THAT
>>
>> Sorry for using the CAPS I am not yelling at you, just wanted to
>> hi-light my response
>> RSW
>>

>> > Gary
>> >
>> > "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
>> > news:D 3d3b4c8.0411241147.157898d8@posting.google.com...

November 26, 2004 5:21:02 PM

"M. Michael Meyer" <mm0102(remove this)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<3B245EDE-25E0-4AE0-9449-8E1310E2CF05@microsoft.com>...
> I know this is a stupid question, but I would like to post a question. How do
> I do that?
>
> "RSW" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
> > sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
> >
> > MY EQUIPMENT:
> >
> > Router Netgear MR815 v2
> > Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
> > NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
> > PC WinXP
> > Laptop Win98 SE
> >
> > MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
> >
> > PC hardwired to router
> > Laptop wireless to router
> > Router hardwired to wideband equipment
> > PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
> >
> > MY PROBLEM:
> >
> > Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
> > wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
> > Laptop connecting
> >
> > seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
> > configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
> > dialup networking performance
> >
> > was poor and to be expected.
> >
> > After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
> > internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
> > have tried several
> >
> > suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
> > I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
> > Internet
> >
> > sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
> > connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
> > order for my laptop to
> >
> > connect to the internet.
> >
> > SOLUTION REQUIRED:
> >
> > I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
> > my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
> > Laptop. I am
> >
> > starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
> > router and my widband equipment.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
> > RSW

I have solved the problem!!!!!

Many thanx to all who have responded to my question.

THE SOLUTION I USED

I Installed NETBEUI on both my Win98 laptop and my WinXP desktop,
bound File and print sharing under NETBEUI Unbound File and Print
Sharing from TPC/IP,
and it worked. I found the instructions
@http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html. as mentioned in a reply to my
question. I had security concerns about using NETEUI but my fears
were eased by reading http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html.
The ezlan site http://www.ezlan.net/ is an excellent resource.

My thanx to the owner.

R.S.Walker