USB Keyboard wakeup question with IC7-G

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that allow
USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to the
book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.

The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 & 2.
Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.

System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
function to mouse but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even found
an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.

anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

TomG wrote:

| Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
| switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
| support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that
allow
| USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to
the
| book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.
|
| The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
| even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 & 2.
| Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
| also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.
|
| System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
| function to mous e but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even
found
| an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
| enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.
|
| anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!

Tom -

Have you put PS2-PWR1 to pins 1 and 2 (to disable the functionality on the
PS/2 ports)?

Wonder if both PS/2 and USB can be enabled at the same time.

You are, hopefully, aware that the USB-PWR1 jumper controls USB Power On
from the USB 1 ports and USB-PWR2 jumper controls from the USB 2 ports.
Neither jumper provides backup power to the front panel USB port connectors
(my read on the subject anyway).

Do you have an optical mouse? If so, it may be a good time to try it out.
With the USB Power jumpers properly set, an optical mouse will always be
lit.

I think your motherboard manual gave me brain cancer .. downloading it to my
laptop while I lay on the bed tonight.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Lurking Rat,

thanks for the response... no, I didn't switch the PS2 jumper back, but I
can. I have an optical mouse but it is wireless so it is always lit anyway.
I'll try the mouse for wake as soon as I do a reboot (standby is always what
I do, it seems...)

hope your brain recovers!

--

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:seYHe.872$C11.670@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
> | switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
> | support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that
> allow
> | USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to
> the
> | book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.
> |
> | The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
> | even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 &
> 2.
> | Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
> | also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.
> |
> | System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
> | function to mous e but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even
> found
> | an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
> | enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.
> |
> | anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!
> |

> Tom -
>
> Have you put PS2-PWR1 to pins 1 and 2 (to disable the functionality on the
> PS/2 ports)?
>
> Wonder if both PS/2 and USB can be enabled at the same time.
>
> You are, hopefully, aware that the USB-PWR1 jumper controls USB Power On
> from the USB 1 ports and USB-PWR2 jumper controls from the USB 2 ports.
> Neither jumper provides backup power to the front panel USB port
> connectors
> (my read on the subject anyway).
>
> Do you have an optical mouse? If so, it may be a good time to try it out.
> With the USB Power jumpers properly set, an optical mouse will always be
> lit.
>
> I think your motherboard manual gave me brain cancer .. downloading it to
> my
> laptop while I lay on the bed tonight.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

MS KB Article: Article ID : 841858
Last Review : July 28, 2005
Revision : 2.0

First off this worked on my AN7 with usb keyboard awake from S3, by
hitting any key. According to the article, awake from S3, not going
into S3, is off by design. Normal awake from S3 on my machine is done
with the power button. This little mod does not bring any extra
power-management pages into device driver options, or allow the greyed
out "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" back.
It should be that simple. The only wierd thing I see is the creation of
a 'composite device' in the usb hub with ms-usb keyboard. hmmm.

--
Mark H ---

TomG wrote:

| thanks, will try those suggestions out over the next day or so...

Okie dokie.

Brain feels much better. I think happy hour had something to do with it.

I'll be interested to hear how you make out (on the USB power problem .. I
think I already know about how you make out with the missus, dadgummit).

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
busy this week!

--

TomG wrote:
> should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
> busy this week!

Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.

'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
would end.

Qed.

PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

thanks for that... I had implemented a similar registry mod but I think
this one is a little different. I'll scope it out and post back.

--

Qed wrote:

| Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
|
| 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
| would end.

It's a two week vacation, 26 times a year.

| Qed.
|
| PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???

August 31st, when Martha's done with him. She got three extra weeks for
going to yoga. Tom got three extra weeks because Martha's particularly
amused.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG wrote:

| should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
| busy this week!

It'll keep.

I'll wait (you know I'll be here).

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I wuz wonderin when you were gonna make your way outta that special tux
jacket you been a-wearin lately... finally found a paper clip to pick that
lock did we?

--

"0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
> TomG wrote:
>> should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
>> busy this week!
>
> Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
>
> 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
> would end.
>
> Qed.
>
> PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

yikes!

--

> Qed wrote:
> |
> | Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
> |
> | 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
> | would end.
> |

> It's a two week vacation, 26 times a year.
>
> | Qed.
> |
> | PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???
>
> August 31st, when Martha's done with him. She got three extra weeks for
> going to yoga. Tom got three extra weeks because Martha's particularly
> amused.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

well, tried the registry thing that was posted, which I had already had a
flavor of implemented and that didn't do it. I'll get a chance later today
to mess w/PS2 jumpers...

--

> TomG wrote:
> |
> | should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been
> real
> | busy this week!
> |

> It'll keep.
>
> I'll wait (you know I'll be here).
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

no joy...

--

TomG wrote:
> I wuz wonderin when you were gonna make your way outta that special tux
> jacket you been a-wearin lately... finally found a paper clip to pick that
> lock did we?

Nope, no lock picking.

"Toes" ... not camel toes ... justplaintoes.

A bit of practice and 'volia' !!

My new Institution permits "those" with jackets to freely wander.

Mayhap I'll get a 2nd chance at a new, valid Day Pass.

Qed

TomG wrote:

| yikes!

When you said "¡Quiero envolver muslos gordos alrededor del cuello, Bebé!"
Martha just went nuts.

You saying you wanted to wrap your fat thighs around her neck sent her off
in a rush to yoga class to be "ready" for your advances. "Damn the
consequences" she was heard to shriek as she sped off to class.

You're a nasty, nasty old man, TomG! No wonder Martha's amused .. and you
got three extra weeks to augment her extra three weeks.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

{urk!}

--

TomG wrote:

| {urk!}

I thought that's what Martha would say when your thighs were wrapped around
her neck.

So am I to assume .. after the yoga class .. Martha was able to wrap her
thighs around your neck too?

Obviously you didn't wrap your thighs tightly enough. Next time don't stop
until she stops squealing "Don't stop!"

August 31st is just around the corner. Once again .. you'll be a free man
(unless the authorities abide by the letter of the law and don't let you off
for performing a public service).

Back on topic:

Any luck on your keyboard/mouse power on problem?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

no, no luck with the power on issue. Martha wouldn't leave me alone over
the weekend so I couldn't get to it. the only thing I haven't tested yet is
taking the PS2 jumper off and I'll get to that.. sooner or later.

--

TomG wrote:

| no, no luck with the power on issue. Martha wouldn't leave me alone
| over the weekend so I couldn't get to it. the only thing I haven't tested
| yet is taking the PS2 jumper off and I'll get to that.. sooner or later.

Aint that just the pits... Martha wouldn't leave you alone.

Directions:
.. Legs around neck
.. Squealing stops
.. Respiration ceases
.. Remove legs

Do I need to paint a picture?

But then .. Martha isn't your ordinary housewife. Some say she's a robot.

Sure would explain the near monotonic calm to her voice.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

lets see you implement the simple little instructions that you put forth!
you make it sound SOOO easy!

--

TomG wrote:

| lets see you implement the simple little instructions that you put forth!
| you make it sound SOOO easy!

I would in a flash under the right circumstances.

I'm not the one who got an extra three weeks house arrest with Martha,
remember?

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

ps .. I'll let you imagine the circumstances under which I would be
interested.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine the circumstances that you would be
interested in a lock-down with Martha!

in other news, I finally got back into the case and moved PS2 and USB power
jumpers all around in all combinations and all to no avail. this system
will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB, at least not with any
trick that I know about to date.

if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. it isn't the end of the
world as the power button on the tower I use is in the upper right corner
and easily accessible. I've really been trying to figure this out just as
an educational exercise as much as anything else...

--

TomG wrote:

| I cannot, for the life of me, imagine the circumstances that you would
| be interested in a lock-down with Martha!

Blunt instrument trauma is the only thing that comes to mind.

It's a good thing!

| in other news, I finally got back into the case and moved PS2 and
| USB power jumpers all around in all combinations and all to no avail.
| this system will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB,
| at least not with any trick that I know about to date.
|
| if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. it isn't the end of
| the world as the power button on the tower I use is in the upper right
| corner and easily accessible. I've really been trying to figure this out
| just as an educational exercise as much as anything else...

Sounds more like this is becoming an exercise in futility.

Question: Where are you plugging in your USB keyboard and mouse once the
jumpers are set?

From my read, your board should support USB power on the USB1 and USB2
ports. Are you connected to the ports on the I/O Panel or an extension?

I'm sure you've already swapped 'em around, but I'll contribute to the
futility as necessary (though I'm sure you already knew that).

My NF7-M only has one pair of USB ports on the I/O panel and with the
USBPWR1 and KBPWR1 (originally undocumented) jumpers set on pins 1 & 2, I'm
able to wake the beast with both USB keyboard and mouse.

This feat even works using my USB KVM switch that I connect between the
desktop machine and my notebook's port replicator (with both keyboard and
mouse ultimately connected through the same USB port).

The light in my wired optical mouse stays lit all the time when I test with
it (as already discussed, I use a cordless optical mouse with the mini
receiver plugged into the KVM switch .. this also works to wake the beast).

Have you also visited your CMOS setup screens? If I recall, I also had to
make some settings there .. such as:

OnChip PCI Device .. both USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Support are set to BIOS
Power Management .. something sticks in my noggin about USB Resume and Power
On Function.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

there is only one connection for the mouse and KB and that is the USB port
with the wireless receiver. I'm gonna check one BIOS setting real quick and
get back to you but the Enable USB wake from S3 setting in the bios is
enabled, the KB and mouse are set to BIOS for support as opposed to OS, I
have tried wake from mouse left/right and any key for the KB... I haven't
really tried moving the receiver to a different port but it is a mainboard
USB port not on the FBIOP extension harness.