USB Keyboard wakeup question with IC7-G

Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that allow
USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to the
book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.

The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 & 2.
Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.

System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
function to mouse but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even found
an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.

anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
88 answers Last reply
More about keyboard wakeup question

    TomG wrote:

    | Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
    | switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
    | support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that
    allow
    | USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to
    the
    | book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.
    |
    | The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
    | even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 & 2.
    | Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
    | also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.
    |
    | System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
    | function to mous e but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even
    found
    | an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
    | enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.
    |
    | anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!

    Tom -

    Have you put PS2-PWR1 to pins 1 and 2 (to disable the functionality on the
    PS/2 ports)?

    Wonder if both PS/2 and USB can be enabled at the same time.

    You are, hopefully, aware that the USB-PWR1 jumper controls USB Power On
    from the USB 1 ports and USB-PWR2 jumper controls from the USB 2 ports.
    Neither jumper provides backup power to the front panel USB port connectors
    (my read on the subject anyway).

    Do you have an optical mouse? If so, it may be a good time to try it out.
    With the USB Power jumpers properly set, an optical mouse will always be
    lit.

    I think your motherboard manual gave me brain cancer .. downloading it to my
    laptop while I lay on the bed tonight.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Lurking Rat,

    thanks for the response... no, I didn't switch the PS2 jumper back, but I
    can. I have an optical mouse but it is wireless so it is always lit anyway.
    I'll try the mouse for wake as soon as I do a reboot (standby is always what
    I do, it seems...)

    hope your brain recovers!

    --

    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    message news:seYHe.872$C11.670@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | Just wanted to pick the collective brain of the group here... recently
    > | switched from PS2 to USB on the keyboard and have set the BIOS to USB
    > | support as opposed to OS, I also set the two jumpers on the mobo that
    > allow
    > | USB wakeup, USB-PWR1 and USB-PWR2, to positions 2-3 which, according to
    > the
    > | book, is supposed to enable the wake function on the USB ports.
    > |
    > | The keyboard is plugged directly into a mobo USB port, not a hub and not
    > | even one of the ports that are on the extension harness from FP-USB 1 &
    > 2.
    > | Bios is set to allow any key for wakeup which used to work with PS2, and
    > | also set to allow USB to wake from S3 standby.
    > |
    > | System does not wake from the KB... I haven't yet tried setting the wake
    > | function to mous e but I will on the next reboot just to test. I even
    > found
    > | an old post I had saved where a guy had some registry settings for XP to
    > | enable the wake and I implemented those, but no joy.
    > |
    > | anyone think of something I missed or a suggestion? TIA!
    > |

    > Tom -
    >
    > Have you put PS2-PWR1 to pins 1 and 2 (to disable the functionality on the
    > PS/2 ports)?
    >
    > Wonder if both PS/2 and USB can be enabled at the same time.
    >
    > You are, hopefully, aware that the USB-PWR1 jumper controls USB Power On
    > from the USB 1 ports and USB-PWR2 jumper controls from the USB 2 ports.
    > Neither jumper provides backup power to the front panel USB port
    > connectors
    > (my read on the subject anyway).
    >
    > Do you have an optical mouse? If so, it may be a good time to try it out.
    > With the USB Power jumpers properly set, an optical mouse will always be
    > lit.
    >
    > I think your motherboard manual gave me brain cancer .. downloading it to
    > my
    > laptop while I lay on the bed tonight.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    MS KB Article: Article ID : 841858
    Last Review : July 28, 2005
    Revision : 2.0

    First off this worked on my AN7 with usb keyboard awake from S3, by
    hitting any key. According to the article, awake from S3, not going
    into S3, is off by design. Normal awake from S3 on my machine is done
    with the power button. This little mod does not bring any extra
    power-management pages into device driver options, or allow the greyed
    out "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" back.
    It should be that simple. The only wierd thing I see is the creation of
    a 'composite device' in the usb hub with ms-usb keyboard. hmmm.

    --
    Mark H ---
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | thanks, will try those suggestions out over the next day or so...

    Okie dokie.

    Brain feels much better. I think happy hour had something to do with it.

    I'll be interested to hear how you make out (on the USB power problem .. I
    think I already know about how you make out with the missus, dadgummit).

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
    busy this week!

    --

    "Bird Janitor" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | thanks, will try those suggestions out over the next day or so...
    > |

    > Okie dokie.
    >
    > Brain feels much better. I think happy hour had something to do with it.
    >
    > I'll be interested to hear how you make out (on the USB power problem .. I
    > think I already know about how you make out with the missus, dadgummit).
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:
    > should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
    > busy this week!

    Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.

    'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
    would end.

    Qed.

    PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    thanks for that... I had implemented a similar registry mod but I think
    this one is a little different. I'll scope it out and post back.

    --

    "Mark H" <user@dot.net> wrote in message

    > MS KB Article: Article ID : 841858
    > Last Review : July 28, 2005
    > Revision : 2.0
    >
    > First off this worked on my AN7 with usb keyboard awake from S3, by
    > hitting any key. According to the article, awake from S3, not going into
    > S3, is off by design. Normal awake from S3 on my machine is done with the
    > power button. This little mod does not bring any extra power-management
    > pages into device driver options, or allow the greyed out "allow this
    > device to bring the computer out of standby" back.
    > It should be that simple. The only wierd thing I see is the creation of a
    > 'composite device' in the usb hub with ms-usb keyboard. hmmm.
    >

    > --
    > Mark H ---
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Qed wrote:

    | Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
    |
    | 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
    | would end.

    It's a two week vacation, 26 times a year.

    | Qed.
    |
    | PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???

    August 31st, when Martha's done with him. She got three extra weeks for
    going to yoga. Tom got three extra weeks because Martha's particularly
    amused.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
    | busy this week!

    It'll keep.

    I'll wait (you know I'll be here).

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I wuz wonderin when you were gonna make your way outta that special tux
    jacket you been a-wearin lately... finally found a paper clip to pick that
    lock did we?

    --

    "0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
    > TomG wrote:
    >> should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been real
    >> busy this week!
    >
    > Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
    >
    > 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
    > would end.
    >
    > Qed.
    >
    > PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    yikes!

    --

    > Qed wrote:
    > |
    > | Uhh Uhh Uhh ... poor 'baby'.
    > |
    > | 'One' just had to wonder when that dual six(6) months vacation(yearly)
    > | would end.
    > |

    > It's a two week vacation, 26 times a year.
    >
    > | Qed.
    > |
    > | PS- When does this new 'Work Release' program of your's end ... ???
    >
    > August 31st, when Martha's done with him. She got three extra weeks for
    > going to yoga. Tom got three extra weeks because Martha's particularly
    > amused.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    well, tried the registry thing that was posted, which I had already had a
    flavor of implemented and that didn't do it. I'll get a chance later today
    to mess w/PS2 jumpers...

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | should have an opportunity to try a few things tomorrow... work been
    > real
    > | busy this week!
    > |

    > It'll keep.
    >
    > I'll wait (you know I'll be here).
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    no joy...

    --

    "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
    > thanks for that... I had implemented a similar registry mod but I think
    > this one is a little different. I'll scope it out and post back.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Thomas Geery
    > Network+ certified
    >
    > Due to a rat in da hood,
    > no longer running servers on Cox...
    >
    > (even though someone turned me in,
    > what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)
    >

    > "Mark H" <user@dot.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> MS KB Article: Article ID : 841858
    >> Last Review : July 28, 2005
    >> Revision : 2.0
    >>
    >> First off this worked on my AN7 with usb keyboard awake from S3, by
    >> hitting any key. According to the article, awake from S3, not going into
    >> S3, is off by design. Normal awake from S3 on my machine is done with the
    >> power button. This little mod does not bring any extra power-management
    >> pages into device driver options, or allow the greyed out "allow this
    >> device to bring the computer out of standby" back.
    >> It should be that simple. The only wierd thing I see is the creation of a
    >> 'composite device' in the usb hub with ms-usb keyboard. hmmm.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark H ---

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:
    > I wuz wonderin when you were gonna make your way outta that special tux
    > jacket you been a-wearin lately... finally found a paper clip to pick that
    > lock did we?

    Nope, no lock picking.

    "Toes" ... not camel toes ... justplaintoes.

    A bit of practice and 'volia' !!

    My new Institution permits "those" with jackets to freely wander.

    Mayhap I'll get a 2nd chance at a new, valid Day Pass.

    Qed
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | yikes!

    When you said "¡Quiero envolver muslos gordos alrededor del cuello, Bebé!"
    Martha just went nuts.

    You saying you wanted to wrap your fat thighs around her neck sent her off
    in a rush to yoga class to be "ready" for your advances. "Damn the
    consequences" she was heard to shriek as she sped off to class.

    You're a nasty, nasty old man, TomG! No wonder Martha's amused .. and you
    got three extra weeks to augment her extra three weeks.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    {urk!}

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | yikes!
    > |

    > When you said "¡Quiero envolver muslos gordos alrededor del cuello, Bebé!"
    > Martha just went nuts.
    >
    > You saying you wanted to wrap your fat thighs around her neck sent her off
    > in a rush to yoga class to be "ready" for your advances. "Damn the
    > consequences" she was heard to shriek as she sped off to class.
    >
    > You're a nasty, nasty old man, TomG! No wonder Martha's amused .. and you
    > got three extra weeks to augment her extra three weeks.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | {urk!}

    I thought that's what Martha would say when your thighs were wrapped around
    her neck.

    So am I to assume .. after the yoga class .. Martha was able to wrap her
    thighs around your neck too?

    Obviously you didn't wrap your thighs tightly enough. Next time don't stop
    until she stops squealing "Don't stop!"

    August 31st is just around the corner. Once again .. you'll be a free man
    (unless the authorities abide by the letter of the law and don't let you off
    for performing a public service).

    Back on topic:

    Any luck on your keyboard/mouse power on problem?

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    no, no luck with the power on issue. Martha wouldn't leave me alone over
    the weekend so I couldn't get to it. the only thing I haven't tested yet is
    taking the PS2 jumper off and I'll get to that.. sooner or later.

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | {urk!}
    > |

    > I thought that's what Martha would say when your thighs were wrapped
    > around
    > her neck.
    >
    > So am I to assume .. after the yoga class .. Martha was able to wrap her
    > thighs around your neck too?
    >
    > Obviously you didn't wrap your thighs tightly enough. Next time don't
    > stop
    > until she stops squealing "Don't stop!"
    >
    > August 31st is just around the corner. Once again .. you'll be a free man
    > (unless the authorities abide by the letter of the law and don't let you
    > off
    > for performing a public service).
    >
    > Back on topic:
    >
    > Any luck on your keyboard/mouse power on problem?
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | no, no luck with the power on issue. Martha wouldn't leave me alone
    | over the weekend so I couldn't get to it. the only thing I haven't tested
    | yet is taking the PS2 jumper off and I'll get to that.. sooner or later.

    Aint that just the pits... Martha wouldn't leave you alone.

    Directions:
    .. Legs around neck
    .. Squealing stops
    .. Respiration ceases
    .. Remove legs

    Do I need to paint a picture?

    But then .. Martha isn't your ordinary housewife. Some say she's a robot.

    Sure would explain the near monotonic calm to her voice.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    lets see you implement the simple little instructions that you put forth!
    you make it sound SOOO easy!

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | no, no luck with the power on issue. Martha wouldn't leave me alone
    > | over the weekend so I couldn't get to it. the only thing I haven't
    > tested
    > | yet is taking the PS2 jumper off and I'll get to that.. sooner or
    > later.
    > |

    > Aint that just the pits... Martha wouldn't leave you alone.
    >
    > Directions:
    > . Legs around neck
    > . Squealing stops
    > . Respiration ceases
    > . Remove legs
    >
    > Do I need to paint a picture?
    >
    > But then .. Martha isn't your ordinary housewife. Some say she's a robot.
    >
    > Sure would explain the near monotonic calm to her voice.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | lets see you implement the simple little instructions that you put forth!
    | you make it sound SOOO easy!

    I would in a flash under the right circumstances.

    I'm not the one who got an extra three weeks house arrest with Martha,
    remember?

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    ps .. I'll let you imagine the circumstances under which I would be
    interested.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I cannot, for the life of me, imagine the circumstances that you would be
    interested in a lock-down with Martha!

    in other news, I finally got back into the case and moved PS2 and USB power
    jumpers all around in all combinations and all to no avail. this system
    will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB, at least not with any
    trick that I know about to date.

    if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. it isn't the end of the
    world as the power button on the tower I use is in the upper right corner
    and easily accessible. I've really been trying to figure this out just as
    an educational exercise as much as anything else...

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | lets see you implement the simple little instructions that you put
    > forth!
    > | you make it sound SOOO easy!
    > |

    > I would in a flash under the right circumstances.
    >
    > I'm not the one who got an extra three weeks house arrest with Martha,
    > remember?
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef
    >
    > ps .. I'll let you imagine the circumstances under which I would be
    > interested.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | I cannot, for the life of me, imagine the circumstances that you would
    | be interested in a lock-down with Martha!

    Blunt instrument trauma is the only thing that comes to mind.

    It's a good thing!

    | in other news, I finally got back into the case and moved PS2 and
    | USB power jumpers all around in all combinations and all to no avail.
    | this system will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB,
    | at least not with any trick that I know about to date.
    |
    | if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. it isn't the end of
    | the world as the power button on the tower I use is in the upper right
    | corner and easily accessible. I've really been trying to figure this out
    | just as an educational exercise as much as anything else...

    Sounds more like this is becoming an exercise in futility.

    Question: Where are you plugging in your USB keyboard and mouse once the
    jumpers are set?

    From my read, your board should support USB power on the USB1 and USB2
    ports. Are you connected to the ports on the I/O Panel or an extension?

    I'm sure you've already swapped 'em around, but I'll contribute to the
    futility as necessary (though I'm sure you already knew that).

    My NF7-M only has one pair of USB ports on the I/O panel and with the
    USBPWR1 and KBPWR1 (originally undocumented) jumpers set on pins 1 & 2, I'm
    able to wake the beast with both USB keyboard and mouse.

    This feat even works using my USB KVM switch that I connect between the
    desktop machine and my notebook's port replicator (with both keyboard and
    mouse ultimately connected through the same USB port).

    The light in my wired optical mouse stays lit all the time when I test with
    it (as already discussed, I use a cordless optical mouse with the mini
    receiver plugged into the KVM switch .. this also works to wake the beast).

    Have you also visited your CMOS setup screens? If I recall, I also had to
    make some settings there .. such as:

    OnChip PCI Device .. both USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Support are set to BIOS
    Power Management .. something sticks in my noggin about USB Resume and Power
    On Function.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    there is only one connection for the mouse and KB and that is the USB port
    with the wireless receiver. I'm gonna check one BIOS setting real quick and
    get back to you but the Enable USB wake from S3 setting in the bios is
    enabled, the KB and mouse are set to BIOS for support as opposed to OS, I
    have tried wake from mouse left/right and any key for the KB... I haven't
    really tried moving the receiver to a different port but it is a mainboard
    USB port not on the FBIOP extension harness.

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | I cannot, for the life of me, imagine the circumstances that you would
    > | be interested in a lock-down with Martha!
    >
    > Blunt instrument trauma is the only thing that comes to mind.
    >
    > It's a good thing!
    >

    > | in other news, I finally got back into the case and moved PS2 and
    > | USB power jumpers all around in all combinations and all to no avail.
    > | this system will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB,
    > | at least not with any trick that I know about to date.
    > |
    > | if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. it isn't the end of
    > | the world as the power button on the tower I use is in the upper right
    > | corner and easily accessible. I've really been trying to figure this
    > out
    > | just as an educational exercise as much as anything else...
    >
    > Sounds more like this is becoming an exercise in futility.
    >
    > Question: Where are you plugging in your USB keyboard and mouse once the
    > jumpers are set?
    >
    > From my read, your board should support USB power on the USB1 and USB2
    > ports. Are you connected to the ports on the I/O Panel or an extension?
    >
    > I'm sure you've already swapped 'em around, but I'll contribute to the
    > futility as necessary (though I'm sure you already knew that).
    >
    > My NF7-M only has one pair of USB ports on the I/O panel and with the
    > USBPWR1 and KBPWR1 (originally undocumented) jumpers set on pins 1 & 2,
    > I'm
    > able to wake the beast with both USB keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > This feat even works using my USB KVM switch that I connect between the
    > desktop machine and my notebook's port replicator (with both keyboard and
    > mouse ultimately connected through the same USB port).
    >
    > The light in my wired optical mouse stays lit all the time when I test
    > with
    > it (as already discussed, I use a cordless optical mouse with the mini
    > receiver plugged into the KVM switch .. this also works to wake the
    > beast).
    >
    > Have you also visited your CMOS setup screens? If I recall, I also had to
    > make some settings there .. such as:
    >
    > OnChip PCI Device .. both USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Support are set to
    > BIOS
    > Power Management .. something sticks in my noggin about USB Resume and
    > Power
    > On Function.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG,

    > this system
    > will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB, at least not with any
    > trick that I know about to date.

    I just set mine to wake via my Logitech Mx700 Cordless Optical mouse, and it
    worked!

    Set my USB-PWR1 & 2 to 'Enabled', then set WinXP Pro to proper settings.

    When you go to 'Start'...'Turn Off Computer', how many choices do you see?
    Should be showing (3) 'Standby' ....'Turn Off'....(and)....'Restart'.

    If not, there's one problem area. More on that if the below don't work for you
    first.

    The one that got it going for me was in Control Panel|Mice & Other Pointing
    Devices, then to the 'Properties' for 'HID-compliant Cordless Mouse' (my
    Logitech Mx700). In it's Properties|Power Management, I set the option of
    'Allow this device to bring the computer out of Standby' to enabled.

    I suppose the same would apply to your cordless keyboard, same type of
    setting.

    Let me know if that did it for you.
    --

    Jim
    Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

    I do have all three options in the shutdown screen. I also had set the
    allow this device to wake option. now I have the opposite problem in that I
    cannot get the computer to stay in standby!

    trying to retrace my steps but, believe it or not, I actually have the
    jumpers for USB wake set to DISABLE and the PS2 jumper as well, although I
    put it back to try to recreate the original configuration, and I have both
    the KB and mouse set to not allow wake in device manager and the system
    wakes instantly after going into S3.

    gonna search device manager and try to find another device that has the wake
    option set and disable any I find.

    --

    "Jim" <jamlil@comcastcom> wrote in message
    > TomG,
    >
    >> this system
    >> will not do either a mouse OR a KB power on from USB, at least not with
    >> any
    >> trick that I know about to date.
    >>

    > I just set mine to wake via my Logitech Mx700 Cordless Optical mouse, and
    > it
    > worked!
    >
    > Set my USB-PWR1 & 2 to 'Enabled', then set WinXP Pro to proper settings.
    >
    > When you go to 'Start'...'Turn Off Computer', how many choices do you see?
    > Should be showing (3) 'Standby' ....'Turn Off'....(and)....'Restart'.
    >
    > If not, there's one problem area. More on that if the below don't work for
    > you
    > first.
    >
    > The one that got it going for me was in Control Panel|Mice & Other
    > Pointing
    > Devices, then to the 'Properties' for 'HID-compliant Cordless Mouse' (my
    > Logitech Mx700). In it's Properties|Power Management, I set the option of
    > 'Allow this device to bring the computer out of Standby' to enabled.
    >
    > I suppose the same would apply to your cordless keyboard, same type of
    > setting.
    >
    > Let me know if that did it for you.
    > --
    >
    > Jim
    > Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2
    > http://www.virtual-access.org

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | there is only one connection for the mouse and KB and that is the USB
    | port with the wireless receiver. I'm gonna check one BIOS setting real
    | quick and get back to you but the Enable USB wake from S3 setting in
    | the bios is enabled, the KB and mouse are set to BIOS for support as
    | opposed to OS, I have tried wake from mouse left/right and any key for
    | the KB... I haven't really tried moving the receiver to a different port
    but
    | it is a mainboard USB port not on the FBIOP extension harness.

    Tom -

    Did you say you had a wired USB mouse to try?

    If so, plug it in (keep the wireless KB/Mouse receiver plugged in ..
    shouldn't make a difference as Windows will play happy with two USB mouses
    connected). See if another mouse can be made to work.

    I'm guessing, but maybe you're getting bit in the butt by a combined unit.
    Wierd because my USB KVM combines the KB/Mouse through a single USB
    connection and both work to wake my rig.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    well, now I have a new problem. What I did realize is that I had set USB KB
    support to BIOS but had left mouse set to OS. I set both KB and mouse to
    BIOS and came to a realization that if I hit both mouse buttons OR hit
    several keystrokes, the system would wake from S3.

    however, something has happened now such that I can't get it to stay in
    standby! the instant is cycles power off for standby, it cycles it *right*
    back on. system doesn't like that too much...

    I even went in and set device manager to NOT allow both devices to wake the
    system (!!) and this still happens!

    can't win for loosing!!!

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | there is only one connection for the mouse and KB and that is the USB
    > | port with the wireless receiver. I'm gonna check one BIOS setting real
    > | quick and get back to you but the Enable USB wake from S3 setting in
    > | the bios is enabled, the KB and mouse are set to BIOS for support as
    > | opposed to OS, I have tried wake from mouse left/right and any key for
    > | the KB... I haven't really tried moving the receiver to a different port
    > but
    > | it is a mainboard USB port not on the FBIOP extension harness.
    > |

    > Tom -
    >
    > Did you say you had a wired USB mouse to try?
    >
    > If so, plug it in (keep the wireless KB/Mouse receiver plugged in ..
    > shouldn't make a difference as Windows will play happy with two USB mouses
    > connected). See if another mouse can be made to work.
    >
    > I'm guessing, but maybe you're getting bit in the butt by a combined unit.
    > Wierd because my USB KVM combines the KB/Mouse through a single USB
    > connection and both work to wake my rig.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jim wrote:

    <snip>
    | The one that got it going for me was in Control Panel|Mice & Other
    Pointing
    | Devices, then to the 'Properties' for 'HID-compliant Cordless Mouse' (my
    | Logitech Mx700). In it's Properties|Power Management, I set the option of
    | 'Allow this device to bring the computer out of Standby' to enabled.

    Good point. I seem to recall doing the same thing with my USB Mouse and
    Keyboard. They're a similar setup to Tom's, given that I'm connected via a
    USB KVM adaptor.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | well, now I have a new problem. What I did realize is that I had set
    | USB KB support to BIOS but had left mouse set to OS. I set both
    | KB and mouse to BIOS and came to a realization that if I hit both
    | mouse buttons OR hit several keystrokes, the system would wake
    | from S3.
    |
    | however, something has happened now such that I can't get it to
    | stay in standby! the instant is cycles power off for standby, it cycles
    | it *right* back on. system doesn't like that too much...
    |
    | I even went in and set device manager to NOT allow both devices
    | to wake the system (!!) and this still happens!
    |
    | can't win for loosing!!!

    Hmmmm..... (?)

    Unplug your mouse and see if that is causing it. My mouse causes my system
    to wake fairly regularly if I don't remember to switch it off as it's going
    into standby (it has a switch on the bottom).

    Running XP? If you got System Restore enabled, roll back to a checkpoint
    prior to fiddling in Device Manager.

    Then clear your CMOS and reenter everything, starting with Optimized
    Defaults.

    Ought to sort it back to the original problem.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    well, here is how things worked out. I cleared the CMOS on my system,
    running an IC7-G, and reset everything and the mouse and KB will wake the
    system and it will now go to S3 standby without issue (at least in testing
    so far...).

    both USB power jumpers are on the "enable" position as is the PS2 jumper.

    now here is a kicker... I also have an IS7-G and it also just got the MS
    Wireless Elite Desktop KB and mouse and I went about trying to get things
    like power on from S3 working over there. I used the first experiences with
    the IC7-G as my teacher and tried the same stuff over there.... bottom line
    (and leaving out a LOT of trial and error...) if the USB power jumpers are
    enabled on that board, even after clearing the CMOS and all of my other
    tricks, the system will not stand by. Same OS, same service packs.

    However, disable the USB jumpers and all works fine, even waking from KB
    and/or mouse.

    Both systems do not wake on a single keystroke or mouse click. if I hit
    several keys in sequence or hit left/right/left/right a few times, the
    systems will wake. same behavior on both systems but different path to get
    there...

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | well, now I have a new problem. What I did realize is that I had set
    > | USB KB support to BIOS but had left mouse set to OS. I set both
    > | KB and mouse to BIOS and came to a realization that if I hit both
    > | mouse buttons OR hit several keystrokes, the system would wake
    > | from S3.
    > |
    > | however, something has happened now such that I can't get it to
    > | stay in standby! the instant is cycles power off for standby, it cycles
    > | it *right* back on. system doesn't like that too much...
    > |
    > | I even went in and set device manager to NOT allow both devices
    > | to wake the system (!!) and this still happens!
    > |
    > | can't win for loosing!!!
    > |

    > Hmmmm..... (?)
    >
    > Unplug your mouse and see if that is causing it. My mouse causes my
    > system
    > to wake fairly regularly if I don't remember to switch it off as it's
    > going
    > into standby (it has a switch on the bottom).
    >
    > Running XP? If you got System Restore enabled, roll back to a checkpoint
    > prior to fiddling in Device Manager.
    >
    > Then clear your CMOS and reenter everything, starting with Optimized
    > Defaults.
    >
    > Ought to sort it back to the original problem.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Bird,

    > Maybe I'll bring along my hammer to properly fix it once and for all

    Nah, just adapt a 220v. plug to connect directly to the power adapter
    port on that notebook. Connect at notebook first, then plug into 220v
    outlet.

    Viola! Instant vaporization!!!<g>
    --

    Jim
    Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2
    http://www.virtual-access.org
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jim wrote:

    | Bird,
    |
    | Nah, just adapt a 220v. plug to connect directly to the power
    | adapter port on that notebook. Connect at notebook first, then
    | plug into 220v outlet.
    |
    | Viola! Instant vaporization!!!<g>

    Jim -

    LOL!

    Excellent suggestion!!!

    I have an old lab coat here at the house. Maybe I'll wear it when I return
    the computer.

    I'll tell her I've been advised by a master computer technican with many
    years of experience to "defibrillate the computer, much like a human
    patient, in order to restore proper memory rhythm."

    Then .. "OMG .. that smoke tells me that you must have had a wicked power
    surge! Time to file a claim with the utility company. I'm really sorry for
    your loss." .. And skulk out as fast as possible!

    After all .. I only have to live next door to the woman.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Bird,

    > After all .. I only have to live next door to the woman.

    Maybe you two could work out some compensatory damages arrangement.
    Civic duty and such.<g>

    She's not one of those that would make a locomotive take a dirt road is
    she?
    --

    Jim
    Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2
    http://www.virtual-access.org
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | aw, you guys *are* amusing! I get to laughing more often reading
    | and writing missives from you clowns than anywhere else I hang...
    | 'cept with my Quake 3 and martini buddy that I play shoot 'em up
    | with every Friday afternoon... get lotsa laughs with him, specially
    | after the martini starts to ooze in...

    How many martinis does it take to complete the "ooze in" before you start
    putting your foot in your mouth when you post here?

    Just want to know so we can egg on the alcohol consumption without causing
    your liquor budget to grow exponentially or the alcoholism to get any worse.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    ps .. not posting on "daytime" computer because it's all torn down for
    feather, cat hair and dust removal after lunch.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | well, how happy I am will be determined over the course of a next
    | week or two while I see how it performs over time. if it seems to
    | be balky or powers on the system when I don't want it to too often,
    | then I'm gonna say screw it and hook the KB and mouse up via
    | PS2 and be done with it! this setup can go either way (USB/PS2)
    | but the destructions say it is preferred USB if possible. gonna
    | see how it does on the two system and decide from there.

    Okie dokie...

    Keep us posted on how things continue.

    We're always concerned with your happiness!

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I don't think doing something nasty like that is in his jeans. ;^)

    Leon

    Jim wrote:
    > Bird,
    >

    >>After all .. I only have to live next door to the woman.
    >>

    > Maybe you two could work out some compensatory damages arrangement.
    > Civic duty and such.<g>
    >
    > She's not one of those that would make a locomotive take a dirt road is
    > she?
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Leon Rowell wrote:

    | I don't think doing something nasty like that is in his jeans. ;^)
    |
    | Leon

    I know what's in my jeans, and it's certainly not that!

    Now .. what's in my genes .. that's another issue entirely. <g>

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Glad you got my drift..... :^)

    Leon

    Bird Janitor wrote:

    > Leon Rowell wrote:
    > |
    > | I don't think doing something nasty like that is in his jeans. ;^)
    > |
    > | Leon
    > |

    > I know what's in my jeans, and it's certainly not that!
    >
    > Now .. what's in my genes .. that's another issue entirely. <g>
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jim wrote:

    | Bird,
    |
    | Maybe you two could work out some compensatory damages
    | arrangement. Civic duty and such.<g>
    |
    | She's not one of those that would make a locomotive take a dirt
    | road is she?

    I don't think so.

    She'd probably believe me if I gave her some cock-n-bull story about needing
    to defibrillate her computer's memory.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Leon Rowell wrote:

    | Glad you got my drift..... :^)

    Leon -

    I probably was born on a turnip truck .. even still .. I'd be the first to
    tell you that I know everything that's been in my jeans (everyone, too!).
    <g>

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    dude... I can come in here stone cold sober and perform one of the best FIM
    (Foot In Mouth) maneuvers you have ever seen... a 10.0 out of 9! it is
    called thinking before typing and sometimes, I guess, I don't!

    --

    message news:RyrLe.1765$A%3.557@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | aw, you guys *are* amusing! I get to laughing more often reading
    > | and writing missives from you clowns than anywhere else I hang...
    > | 'cept with my Quake 3 and martini buddy that I play shoot 'em up
    > | with every Friday afternoon... get lotsa laughs with him, specially
    > | after the martini starts to ooze in...
    > |

    > How many martinis does it take to complete the "ooze in" before you start
    > putting your foot in your mouth when you post here?
    >
    > Just want to know so we can egg on the alcohol consumption without causing
    > your liquor budget to grow exponentially or the alcoholism to get any
    > worse.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef
    >

    > ps .. not posting on "daytime" computer because it's all torn down for
    > feather, cat hair and dust removal after lunch.

  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    well, thenkyew... thenkyewverymuch!

    --

    message news:FCrLe.1766$A%3.649@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | well, how happy I am will be determined over the course of a next
    > | week or two while I see how it performs over time. if it seems to
    > | be balky or powers on the system when I don't want it to too often,
    > | then I'm gonna say screw it and hook the KB and mouse up via
    > | PS2 and be done with it! this setup can go either way (USB/PS2)
    > | but the destructions say it is preferred USB if possible. gonna
    > | see how it does on the two system and decide from there.
    > |

    > Okie dokie...
    >
    > Keep us posted on how things continue.
    >
    > We're always concerned with your happiness!
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | dude... I can come in here stone cold sober and perform one of the
    | best FIM (Foot In Mouth) maneuvers you have ever seen... a 10.0
    | out of 9! it is called thinking before typing and sometimes, I guess,
    | I don't!

    I have no idea what you're talking about. Foot In Mouth Maneuvers?
    Really??? I thought you did those naturally and without artifical
    enhancement. {daytime persona mode turned on} <g>

    {read the following in blurry small point italics .. subliminal messaging
    mode on}

    Sapphire Martini .. Jalapeño Stuffed Olive ..

    It's not too early in the day to really enjoy one or two (or more).

    {subliminal messaging mode off}

    Thinking never even needs to come into the equation. As I've often written,
    but seldom quoted*: "You're never alone when you're alone with ample
    quantities of alcohol."

    * {plea for attention mode}

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    well... I *guess* alcohol could have something to do with some of my better
    moments!

    --

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | dude... I can come in here stone cold sober and perform one of the
    > | best FIM (Foot In Mouth) maneuvers you have ever seen... a 10.0
    > | out of 9! it is called thinking before typing and sometimes, I guess,
    > | I don't!
    > |

    > I have no idea what you're talking about. Foot In Mouth Maneuvers?
    > Really??? I thought you did those naturally and without artifical
    > enhancement. {daytime persona mode turned on} <g>
    >
    > {read the following in blurry small point italics .. subliminal messaging
    > mode on}
    >
    > Sapphire Martini .. Jalapeño Stuffed Olive ..
    >
    > It's not too early in the day to really enjoy one or two (or more).
    >
    > {subliminal messaging mode off}
    >
    > Thinking never even needs to come into the equation. As I've often
    > written,
    > but seldom quoted*: "You're never alone when you're alone with ample
    > quantities of alcohol."
    >
    > * {plea for attention mode}
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:

    | well... I *guess* alcohol could have something to do with some of
    | my better moments!

    'Cmon .. admit it: Some of your finest moments! (mine, too)
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    yeah, true. some of my finest from both ends of the spectrum!

    --

    "Bird Janitor" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | well... I *guess* alcohol could have something to do with some of
    > | my better moments!
    > |

    > 'Cmon .. admit it: Some of your finest moments! (mine, too)

  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:
    > yeah, true. some of my finest from both ends of the spectrum!

    :-)
    Add a 'flame' to the middle of the "candle" too ...
    lottsa light, for a while.

    Hey ...
    I didnt know that our good friend 'JefN',
    doesnt have 'opposed thumbs' ...
    and
    just recently learned how not to drag his knuckles.
    Wow!
    He does do 'well' with what little he 'has'.

    Qed.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Qed wrote:

    <snip>
    | Hey ...
    | I didnt know that our good friend 'JefN',
    | doesnt have 'opposed thumbs' ...
    | and
    | just recently learned how not to drag his knuckles.
    | Wow!
    | He does do 'well' with what little he 'has'.
    |
    | Qed.

    My thumbs do not oppose each other. In fact they like each other very much.
    I can twiddle them for hours at a time .. especially while waiting for
    intelligent discourse from you. ;-)

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

USB Keyboards Motherboards