Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I am running XP Home & my PC has 2 USB ports & I want to
add 2 additional ports. Does it make any difference if I
add V. 1.1 or V. 2.0 USB ports? Is preferable to us a
USB hub or a plug in card?

How do you determine what version of USB your PC has? I
have not been able to detect the version by looking at
the system inf.

Thanks,

Tony

Ralph

go with an USB2.00 with firewire add-in board

USB2.00 is downward compatible to USB1.1

In the future all devices will be either USB2.0 or firewire, leaving USB1.1 behind.

When purchasing the board be careful of what controller is used on it. "Via" made controllers have known problems when using with XP.

You will want to ad USB 2.0, perhaps even a combo card with
USB 2.0 and Firewire.

A plug-in card is needed to add USB 2.0, hubs just split the
ports allowing you to share the bandwidth. Better than
nothing, but can cause problems.

Enhanced USB means USB 2.0 (480 mbps), High Speed Means USB
1.1 (12 mbps).

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1d80a01c4232d$75d154d0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
| I am running XP Home & my PC has 2 USB ports & I want to
| add 2 additional ports. Does it make any difference if I
| add V. 1.1 or V. 2.0 USB ports? Is preferable to us a
| USB hub or a plug in card?
|
| How do you determine what version of USB your PC has? I
| have not been able to detect the version by looking at
| the system inf.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Tony

I don't see an answer to Tony's question about how he can tell if he has 2.0 or 1.1. Would someone take a swing at that?

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> You will want to ad USB 2.0, perhaps even a combo card with
> USB 2.0 and Firewire.
>
> A plug-in card is needed to add USB 2.0, hubs just split the
> ports allowing you to share the bandwidth. Better than
> nothing, but can cause problems.
>
> Enhanced USB means USB 2.0 (480 mbps), High Speed Means USB
> 1.1 (12 mbps).
>

> "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1d80a01c4232d$75d154d0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> | I am running XP Home & my PC has 2 USB ports & I want to
> | add 2 additional ports. Does it make any difference if I
> | add V. 1.1 or V. 2.0 USB ports? Is preferable to us a
> | USB hub or a plug in card?
> |
> | How do you determine what version of USB your PC has? I
> | have not been able to detect the version by looking at
> | the system inf.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Tony

USB 2.0 ports will on be available if you have an "USB Enhanced" controller
listed in Device Management (Device Manager).

Also, the USB standard "seemed" to have been changed.

High Speed == USB 2.0 (480 mbps)
Full Speed == USB 1.1 (12 mbps)

"MoTiger" <MoTiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't see an answer to Tony's question about how he can tell if he has
2.0 or 1.1. Would someone take a swing at that?

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
> > You will want to ad USB 2.0, perhaps even a combo card with
> > USB 2.0 and Firewire.
> >
> > A plug-in card is needed to add USB 2.0, hubs just split the
> > ports allowing you to share the bandwidth. Better than
> > nothing, but can cause problems.
> >
> > Enhanced USB means USB 2.0 (480 mbps), High Speed Means USB
> > 1.1 (12 mbps).
> >

> > "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:1d80a01c4232d$75d154d0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> > | I am running XP Home & my PC has 2 USB ports & I want to
> > | add 2 additional ports. Does it make any difference if I
> > | add V. 1.1 or V. 2.0 USB ports? Is preferable to us a
> > | USB hub or a plug in card?
> > |
> > | How do you determine what version of USB your PC has? I
> > | have not been able to detect the version by looking at
> > | the system inf.
> > |
> > | Thanks,
> > |
> > | Tony

As for Tony's other question:

If you just want to add more ports to your two (2) original ports, a USB
Hub will allow that.

However, you could add a USB 2.0 card, if you have an available PCI slot and
you would be add USB 2.0 compatible devices.

It no longer makes sense to add a USB 1.1 card.