HPT 374 Raid problem

I bought tow larger hard drives for myself, both advertised as Ultra DMA 133,
and put them off of my raid controller. Yet when I look in my controller's setup
screen it shows them as Ultra DMA 100. My previous smaller drives show properly
as Ultra DMA 133. Does anybody have any idea why the raid controller does not
see them as supporting the 133 speed ?

Who makes the drive?

More than likely, the drive does not support Ultra DMA 133.
If its a western digital drive, that is definitely the case.

"Edward Diener No Spam" <eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:aGtJe.4675$ns.823@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

In article <aGtJe.4675$ns.823@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net says...
> I bought tow larger hard drives for myself, both advertised as Ultra DMA 133,
> and put them off of my raid controller. Yet when I look in my controller's setup
> screen it shows them as Ultra DMA 100. My previous smaller drives show properly
> as Ultra DMA 133. Does anybody have any idea why the raid controller does not
> see them as supporting the 133 speed ?

Stupid question that mist be asked.... You are using an 80-wire IDE
cable, and not the old 40-wire type, right?

--
DrWho

Abit KX7-333R
XP2700/333
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS 2.0
ATI 9700non-pro
Two 80GB WD 7200/8MB in a RAID0
Windows XP (SP2)

Kenshin Batosai wrote:
> Who makes the drive?
>
> More than likely, the drive does not support Ultra DMA 133.
> If its a western digital drive, that is definitely the case.

It is a "SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard
Drive - OEM". I am probably confusing "Ultra DMA 133" and "Ultra ATA133".

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in message ...
>I bought tow larger hard drives for myself, both advertised as Ultra
> DMA 133, and put them off of my raid controller. Yet when I look
> in my controller's setup screen it shows them as Ultra DMA 100. My
> previous smaller drives show properly as Ultra DMA 133.

In actual performance terms this makes precisely ah heck all difference, so
ultimately it's not worth losing sleep over.

> Does anybody have any idea why the raid controller does not see them
> as supporting the 133 speed ?

Are you sure they're UDMA133 drives? The only manufacturer who makes drives
supporting this standard is Maxtor.

If they are Maxtors, then the likeliest reason for not running at "full"
speed is because this mode is disabled by default. Download the appropriate
feature tool from Maxtor's website and see if you can enable it.

If the drives *aren't* Maxtor, then they were advertised falsely. However,
it is unlikely to be worth doing much about as the chances are that the
drives you've bought actually perform better than the Maxtor equivalents.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Richard Hopkins wrote:
> "Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in message ...
>
>> I bought tow larger hard drives for myself, both advertised as Ultra
>> DMA 133, and put them off of my raid controller. Yet when I look
>> in my controller's setup screen it shows them as Ultra DMA 100. My
>> previous smaller drives show properly as Ultra DMA 133.
>

> In actual performance terms this makes precisely ah heck all difference,
> so ultimately it's not worth losing sleep over.

OK, no sleep lost <g>.

>> Does anybody have any idea why the raid controller does not see them
>> as supporting the 133 speed ?
>

> Are you sure they're UDMA133 drives? The only manufacturer who makes
> drives supporting this standard is Maxtor.

I am probably confusing two things. What is the difference between "Ultra DMA
133 MB/sec" and "Ultra ATA133" ? The two new hard drives I bought, "SAMSUNG
SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM" is
listed as the latter in the NewEgg web site description.

> If they are Maxtors, then the likeliest reason for not running at "full"
> speed is because this mode is disabled by default. Download the
> appropriate feature tool from Maxtor's website and see if you can enable
> it.
>
> If the drives *aren't* Maxtor, then they were advertised falsely.
> However, it is unlikely to be worth doing much about as the chances are
> that the drives you've bought actually perform better than the Maxtor
> equivalents.

The two smaller hard drives I have originally were Maxtor's, listed where I
originally bought them, as "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6L040L2 40 GB Ultra
ATA/133". The Maxtor drives show up in the raid controller as ATA133 while the
Samsung drives show up as ATA100.

This bothers me very little but I wanted to understand the difference vis-a-vis
what the raid controller sees.

Edward Diener wrote:

| OK, no sleep lost <g>.

Hi Edward -

Well... since you're not losing sleep...

| I am probably confusing two things. What is the difference between "Ultra
DMA
| 133 MB/sec" and "Ultra ATA133" ? The two new hard drives I bought,
"SAMSUNG
| SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive -
OEM" is
| listed as the latter in the NewEgg web site description.

UDMA 133 MB/sec and Ultra ATA133 are functionally the same thing.

| The two smaller hard drives I have originally were Maxtor's, listed where
| originally bought them, as "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6L040L2 40 GB
Ultra
| ATA/133". The Maxtor drives show up in the raid controller as ATA133 while
the
| Samsung drives show up as ATA100.
|
| This bothers me very little but I wanted to understand the difference
vis-a-vis
| what the raid controller sees.

Samsung has a utility, available here .. (it's a long link) :
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_downloadcenter_detail.jsp?eUser=&mobile=N&oid=67196&cntType=SW&cntId=221010&lang=EN

... which, among other things, allows you to diagnose problems, perform a low
level format, set the UDMA mode, etc.

Hutil.exe and it's configuration file are contained in the above download.
You run the extractor and direct it to a folder on your system. It's a
DOS-based utility and probably would best be run when booted to DOS
(personally I wouldn't go fiddling with my hard disk's firmware when booted
to anything other than DOS).

The manual for the utility is available here:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/faqs_20021002_0000000043.htm

Jef

DrWho wrote:

| Stupid question that mist be asked.... You are using an 80-wire IDE
| cable, and not the old 40-wire type, right?

Hi DrWho -

He'd be limited to ATA-33 with a 40-wire IDE cable.

ATA-66 and above requires 80-wire IDE cables.

As with Maxtor drives, he probably needs to use Samsung's proprietary
utility to 'change' the DMA setting to ATA-133. And, as Richard has already
said, the result will be negligible, at best, as burst speed has very little
bearing on overall performance.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

"DrWho" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> Stupid question that mist be asked.... You are using an 80-wire
> IDE cable, and not the old 40-wire type, right?

I'm afraid that is a stupid question, as if the OP *was* using a 40 wire
cable, he'd be stuck right back down at ATA33, not ATA100...
--

DrWho wrote:
> In article <aGtJe.4675$ns.823@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> eldiener_no_spam_here@earthlink.net says...
>
>>I bought tow larger hard drives for myself, both advertised as Ultra DMA 133,
>>and put them off of my raid controller. Yet when I look in my controller's setup
>>screen it shows them as Ultra DMA 100. My previous smaller drives show properly
>>as Ultra DMA 133. Does anybody have any idea why the raid controller does not
>>see them as supporting the 133 speed ?
>>

> Stupid question that mist be asked.... You are using an 80-wire IDE
> cable, and not the old 40-wire type, right?

80-wire IDE cable.

Bird Janitor wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
> |
> | OK, no sleep lost <g>.
> |

> Hi Edward -
>
> Well... since you're not losing sleep...
>

> | I am probably confusing two things. What is the difference between "Ultra
> DMA
> | 133 MB/sec" and "Ultra ATA133" ? The two new hard drives I bought,
> "SAMSUNG
> | SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive -
> OEM" is
> | listed as the latter in the NewEgg web site description.
>
> UDMA 133 MB/sec and Ultra ATA133 are functionally the same thing.
>

> | The two smaller hard drives I have originally were Maxtor's, listed where
> | originally bought them, as "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6L040L2 40 GB
> Ultra
> | ATA/133". The Maxtor drives show up in the raid controller as ATA133 while
> the
> | Samsung drives show up as ATA100.
> |
> | This bothers me very little but I wanted to understand the difference
> vis-a-vis
> | what the raid controller sees.
>
> Samsung has a utility, available here .. (it's a long link) :
> http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/support/b2c_downloadcenter_detail.jsp?eUser=&mobile=N&oid=67196&cntType=SW&cntId=221010&lang=EN
>
> .. which, among other things, allows you to diagnose problems, perform a low
> level format, set the UDMA mode, etc.
>
> Hutil.exe and it's configuration file are contained in the above download.
> You run the extractor and direct it to a folder on your system. It's a
> DOS-based utility and probably would best be run when booted to DOS
> (personally I wouldn't go fiddling with my hard disk's firmware when booted
> to anything other than DOS).
>
> The manual for the utility is available here:
>
> http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/faqs_20021002_0000000043.htm

Thanks for the links. I guess it would have been smart of me to first look at
Samsung's site for my hard drive <g> to see what could be found for it and about it.

Edward Diener wrote:

| Thanks for the links. I guess it would have been smart of me to first
| look at Samsung's site for my hard drive <g> to see what could be
| found for it and about it.

No problem. Always happy to nudge others to the obvious. ;-)

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef