Any Super Socket 7 boards still available anywhere?

I'm interested in buying one on the cheap.

--
there is no .sig

Doug wrote:

| I'm interested in buying one on the cheap.

Hi Doug -

I doubt you'll find any retailers still carrying a Socket 7 board.

Best bet would be an auction site, like eBay.

Jef

Being a relative newbie to ng's, I don't know where you are located. Nor
do I know the difference between a "Socket 7" and a "Super Socket 7" m/b.

However - IF you are in the UK - I googled for an Abit NF7-S2 (socket 7,
takes Athlon XP 1800+ and similar ) - difficult to find but SCAN computers
still have them at reasonable price http://www.scan.co.uk/ - both Dabs and
Savastore (Watford Electronics) have run out of stock.

There are other Socket 7 boards, too.

Hope this helps! Len

Yabbadoo wrote:

| Being a relative newbie to ng's, I don't know where you are located.
| Nor do I know the difference between a "Socket 7" and a "Super
| Socket 7" m/b.
|
| However - IF you are in the UK - I googled for an Abit NF7-S2 (socket
| 7, takes Athlon XP 1800+ and similar ) - difficult to find but SCAN
| computers still have them at reasonable price http://www.scan.co.uk/ -
| both Dabs and Savastore (Watford Electronics) have run out of stock.
|
| There are other Socket 7 boards, too.
|
| Hope this helps! Len

Hi Len -

You're thinking maybe Socket A boards, which began life supporting what was
then known as the AMD K7 processor line? While quickly adjourning to
Dinosaur status, they're still holding on for last gasps, supporting the 166
and 200 MHz AMD Athlon XP and Sempron processor lines (and backward
compatible to the original 100MHz and 133MHz AMD K7 processors).

Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 were for AMD K6 processors.

Super Socket 7 added support for the AGP bus and a 100MHz FSB.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® (and embracing my own Dinosaur status) -
Jef

Wes, there are none listed on Pricewatch. Ditto for pricegrabber and ebay
(at least as of yesterday, August 7). I appreciate the effort though.

--
there is no .sig

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:55:06 +0000, Doug wrote:

> Wes, there are none listed on Pricewatch. Ditto for pricegrabber and ebay
> (at least as of yesterday, August 7). I appreciate the effort though.

Yes there is, assming your were looking here;

hhtp://www.pricewatch.com

and here;

http://www.ebay.com

http://search.ebay.com/socket-7_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

My two sentence history lesson neglected to mention that Super Socket 7
boards cut their teeth on and supported many more processors than the AMD K6
line:

Intel Pentium 100,133,166 and 200MHz
Intel Pentium MMX 166-233MHz
AMD K5 PR100, PR133, PR166 and PR200
AMD K6 166-300MHz
AMD K6-2 300-550MHz
AMD K6-III 400-450MHz
AMT K6-III+ 450-550MHz
VIA Cyrix MII PR166-PR266
VIA Cyrix MII 266GP-400GP

I'm probably missing some .. in an effort to be much more comprehensive in
my reporting on Dinosaurs.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

Sorry for the interruption. Was there Rats around when Dinosaurs were
around ??

HAL9000 wrote:

| Sorry for the interruption. Was there Rats around when Dinosaurs
| were around ??

Yeah. But they were *really big*. You should have seen the traps. You
could have caught a Volvo with one of those things!

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

Bird Janitor wrote:
> Yeah. But they were *really big*. You should have seen the traps. You
> could have caught a Volvo with one of those things!

Yahhh ...

You built a really good trap, back then .

Qed

Qed wrote:

| Yahhh ...
|
| You built a really good trap, back then .
|
| Qed

Caught you in it.

Works real good!

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

I still don't see any on pricewatch. Ebay does have them. Thanks.

--

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:22:32 +0000, Doug wrote:

> I still don't see any on pricewatch. Ebay does have them. Thanks.

Got to Motherboard catagory and search for "socket 7 ". Note the space
after the 7. Here's the first one listed. I counted about 20 listed.

ECS Elitegroup(Motherboards)P5HX-B

ONLINE ORDER ONLY - -ECS P5HX-B ATX SOCKET 7 mboard BULK - LAST 7!
Dealer # - MB-ECS-P5HX-B
Man # - P5HX-B
Read more at MatrixSurplus
TotalCost
$14

Price - $7
Ship - $7 FLAT USPS PRICEWATCH FEE

There's a selection of 8 on this site, all under $20.

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/amdso7mo.html

Seek, and you should find.

As mentioned earlier, I'm in UK.
Socket 7 Motherboards for under $20 in USA?!! Bargain!!
Just ordered the Abit NF7-S2 from UK on-line supplier www.scan.co.uk - the
last supplier with any stock at "sensible" price (there are others, but 50%
dearer) - cost GBP 44 incl shipping and tax, that's about USD 77 .... (it
is new stock). Didn't find any in UK on e-Bay.

If Abit is your choice, did pick up one user comment in user review -
"essential to d/l updated BIOS - Abit excellent boards but they are poor at
supplying current BIOS".

> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:22:32 +0000, Doug wrote:
>
>> I still don't see any on pricewatch. Ebay does have them. Thanks.
>
> Got to Motherboard catagory and search for "socket 7 ". Note the space
> after the 7. Here's the first one listed. I counted about 20 listed.
>
> ECS Elitegroup(Motherboards)P5HX-B
>
> ONLINE ORDER ONLY - -ECS P5HX-B ATX SOCKET 7 mboard BULK - LAST 7!
> Dealer # - MB-ECS-P5HX-B
> Man # - P5HX-B
> Read more at MatrixSurplus
> TotalCost
> $14
>
> Price - $7
> Ship - $7 FLAT USPS PRICEWATCH FEE
>
> There's a selection of 8 on this site, all under $20.
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/amdso7mo.html
>
> Seek, and you should find.
>
> --
> KT133 MB, CPU @2400MHz (24x100): SIS755 MB CPU @2330MHz (10x233)
> Need good help? Provide all system info with question.
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

>If Abit is your choice, did pick up one user comment in user review -
>"essential to d/l updated BIOS - Abit excellent boards but they are poor at
>supplying current BIOS".

That's true of MANY mobo mfr's, and I consider Abit to be one of the
better ones with regards to keeping up with BIOS updates, unlike ASUS,
Giga-byte, Biostar, ECS, etc. All these mfr's are interested in doing
is selling you their new toys, they could care less about their old
ones even if they were released just a few months ago.

-GV

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:41:49 +0000, Yabbadoo wrote:

> As mentioned earlier, I'm in UK.
> Socket 7 Motherboards for under $20 in USA?!! Bargain!!

Socket 7 is so old that there's thousands of good one thrown away daily.
To me, it makes no sense to use one even if you have a cpu for it when one
can buy old socket a combos used for next to nothing that are at least 5
times more powerful.

> To me, it makes no sense to use one even if you have a cpu for it when one
> can buy old socket a combos used for next to nothing that are at least 5
> times more powerful.

Perhaps, in the US. Rather more difficult elsewhere. Alas! the deed is
done, I await delivery.

BTW, my Athlon XP 1800+ system is more than man enough for my needs. Don't
need more CPU power - only reason for board upgrade is for USB2, which I
can't get to work via add-on card in my existing USB1 Asus board in XP Pro
(it did work in XPHome - that's another story, another thread - I've given
up after months of trying)
Board upgrade re-using existing kit is better option than new pc, when old
pc is functional and more than adequate.

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:41:49 +0000, Yabbadoo wrote:
>
>> As mentioned earlier, I'm in UK.
>> Socket 7 Motherboards for under $20 in USA?!! Bargain!!
>
> Socket 7 is so old that there's thousands of good one thrown away daily.
> To me, it makes no sense to use one even if you have a cpu for it when one
> can buy old socket a combos used for next to nothing that are at least 5
> times more powerful.
>
> --
> KT133 MB, CPU @2400MHz (24x100): SIS755 MB CPU @2330MHz (10x233)
> Need good help? Provide all system info with question.
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

>Perhaps, in the US. Rather more difficult elsewhere. Alas! the deed is
>done, I await delivery.
>
>BTW, my Athlon XP 1800+ system is more than man enough for my needs. Don't
>need more CPU power - only reason for board upgrade is for USB2, which I
>can't get to work via add-on card in my existing USB1 Asus board in XP Pro
>(it did work in XPHome - that's another story, another thread - I've given
>up after months of trying)
>Board upgrade re-using existing kit is better option than new pc, when old
>pc is functional and more than adequate.

Turn off your onboard USB ports if using an add-in card, and be sure
the USB add-in card is an NEC chipset, NOT VIA or ALi, they're known
to have problems. Hope that helps.

-GV