Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I'm a total newbie

Tags:
  • Games
  • Steam
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I played CS for the first time last week, then again today. I'd heard
that cheating was rampant, but also heard that Steam had taken care of
that. When playing, though, it's clear that people are either using
aimbots or are just inhumanly good shooters. What's the deal?

More about : total newbie

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:22:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
news:XeadnYZocZLMglzcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> I played CS for the first time last week, then again today. I'd heard
> that cheating was rampant, but also heard that Steam had taken care of
> that. When playing, though, it's clear that people are either using
> aimbots or are just inhumanly good shooters. What's the deal?

How can it be clear to you if you have only been playing a week?

What version of CS?

Newbs complaining about 'cheaters' are more common than the cheaters
themselves, and piss me off almost as much (in game).
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Lief wrote:
> "Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> news:XeadnYZocZLMglzcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
>
>>I played CS for the first time last week, then again today. I'd heard
>>that cheating was rampant, but also heard that Steam had taken care of
>>that. When playing, though, it's clear that people are either using
>>aimbots or are just inhumanly good shooters. What's the deal?
>
>
> How can it be clear to you if you have only been playing a week?
>
> What version of CS?


CS 1.6

What I mean is, the enemy is hitting me much easier than seems humanly
possible.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:49:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
news:J7-dnZF5JJjApVzcRVn-1g@comcast.com...

> > What version of CS?
>
>
> CS 1.6
>
> What I mean is, the enemy is hitting me much easier than seems humanly
> possible.

Well, an aimbot is not smooth, it snaps from target to target, watch through
a players eyes, if they instantly lock on kill, then spin round, lock on
kill, spin round some more, lock on kill, its probably an aimbot, but these
are pretty rare now. If you see the travel (it may still be very quick!),
and the player misses shots (ie not locked onto head), you can be almost
certain they are not cheating.

Wallhack is slightly less devastating as a cheat than an aimbot, but more
common and harder to detect, many people you think may be wall hacking just
have a good pair of headphones, use walk to your advantage, dont run towards
the enemy, only away from them :p 

The game has been out for a long time, I am (or was) an ok player back in
the day, and have been banned off of many servers for 'cheating', hence my
comments about people not knowing how to play ruining the game almost as
much as cheaters :) 

There are many exceptional players out there who would make me look like an
utter noob, they are not cheating, they are just simply better players.

If I played you, you might think I was a cheat. Without experience, you
just cannot tell, and its better to keep quiet and/or just leave the server.

I have seen more cheats than Limnophile has, but then I was a pretty
hardcore player, admined servers, and can generally tell a cheat from a good
player after a minute or so watching them in action.

Try a cheating death server, (search on google), this was the best anti
cheat for 1.6 imo, dont think I ever saw a cheat on a CD required server,
tend to have lower server populations though.

Best piece of advice is not to be paranoid, dont go off at players, if they
are cheating, they are not going to care what you say, if they are not, they
will probably just abuse you, so either keep quiet, or leave :) 

Switch servers until you find one with players of a lower skill level /
higher pings, and just keep playing, learn the maps, learn how to walk and
when.

It can be frustrating as a newb, we have all been there, but every kill is
satifying, especially when earned honourbly, rather than by some 3rd party
program that does the killing for you.
December 16, 2004 5:29:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Limnophile <limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote in message
news:NCbwd.8723$gZ3.8690@fe07.lga...
>
> "Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote
> >
> > What I mean is, the enemy is hitting me much easier than seems humanly
> > possible.
>
> Cheating when playing on a Steam secure server is risky at best, if caught
> you account can get suspended or cancelled. Who would risk $50 or more
just
> to be able to cheat at a game?
>
> In 3 years of playing, I've seen only 3 people I'm certain were cheating,
> and about 8 other suspected but not proven cheaters. That's only about
once
> every 3 months, not many at all.
<snip>

I find I have to change servers almost everynight due to cheaters joining.
Speed hacks are so common and obvious. Don't tell me I'm imagining it
either, when the entire server is in uproar about some cheat traversing the
map in less than a second killing the opposing team....Those particular
style hacks I've seen being used regularly for the last 6 months at least
and no sign of VAC ever banning them. Aimbotting and wallhacking are also
rife but less obvious.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 8:07:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I am not a newbie - and I have seen much cheating!

Lief wrote:

> "Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> news:XeadnYZocZLMglzcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
>
>>I played CS for the first time last week, then again today. I'd heard
>>that cheating was rampant, but also heard that Steam had taken care of
>>that. When playing, though, it's clear that people are either using
>>aimbots or are just inhumanly good shooters. What's the deal?
>
>
> How can it be clear to you if you have only been playing a week?
>
> What version of CS?
>
> Newbs complaining about 'cheaters' are more common than the cheaters
> themselves, and piss me off almost as much (in game).
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 12:49:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"In 3 years of playing, I've seen only 3 people I'm certain were cheating"

You should pay more attention then! There are many cheaters out there.
December 17, 2004 2:21:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:22:07 -0600, "Limnophile" <limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net>
wrote:

>
>"Leon" <fake@email.com> wrote
>>
>> What I mean is, the enemy is hitting me much easier than seems humanly
>> possible.
>
>Cheating when playing on a Steam secure server is risky at best, if caught
>you account can get suspended or cancelled. Who would risk $50 or more just
>to be able to cheat at a game?

Except VAC is so out of date its not funny.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:21:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I am admin in a server....which may have all xp reset, so come in and play
(216.32.67.148:27015)...and one of our regulars came in with a no re coil
script and got banned from all vac servers for one year. i have personally
banned two or three servers. Is there a way to see hacks other than the
normal screen shake for some.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:43:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

* ADAM KRACKENBERGER wrote:
> I am admin in a server....which may have all xp reset, so come in and play
> (216.32.67.148:27015)...and one of our regulars came in with a no re coil
> script and got banned from all vac servers for one year. i have personally
> banned two or three servers. Is there a way to see hacks other than the
> normal screen shake for some.

that's part of the problem - admins who don't know the difference
between a server and a client, can't recognise cheating when they see
it, and don't understand the difference between seeing hacks and
'screenshake' mods. sigh.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 5:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> wrote in message
news:slrncs47cu.g8d.usenet@piggo.com...
> * ADAM KRACKENBERGER wrote:
> > I am admin in a server....which may have all xp reset, so come in and
play
> > (216.32.67.148:27015)...and one of our regulars came in with a no re
coil
> > script and got banned from all vac servers for one year. i have
personally
> > banned two or three servers. Is there a way to see hacks other than the
> > normal screen shake for some.
>
> that's part of the problem - admins who don't know the difference
> between a server and a client, can't recognise cheating when they see
> it, and don't understand the difference between seeing hacks and
> 'screenshake' mods. sigh.

The problem is, you need to have seen the cheats first hand, and also be a
decent / very good player yourself to be able to spot the cheats as opposed
to kicking good players.

I just hope the admins that do this do catch the real cheats, they probaly
do, just every now and then someone innocent gets caught, which is annoying.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 4:24:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Me again (I started this thread). I was playing last night, now with
8-10 hours of experience at Counterstrike. Of course I'm getting totally
pwned, with something like 1 kill versus 10 deaths. Then I have a run of
good luck and get 3 kills in 2 battles. So naturally I get kicked and
banned from the server as a cheater. LOL.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:21:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I never usually moan about cheating but tbh over the last few months I have
noticed a marked difference. Most servers I join seem to have a cheater on,
and blatant, not even trying to hide it, no one seems to say anything.
People just sit there quiet because if they open their mouth they get the
usual n00b etc. The other day a guy was speed hacking and aim-botting two
admins on the server didn't do jack, fair enough it was a knife only server
but still it was cheating. VAC is shite tbh, a very close mate of mine has
used cheats for a long time, he doesn't wall hack or aim bot etc but does
use the anti smoke/flash bits that come with them but he has the capability.
He has NEVER been caught, if you know when to and when not to hack i.e.
after a steam update then you can get away with it. People with scores like
25-3 on every map are not just having a good game they are hacking! I did
my self dabble with a hack and got banned after about 3 weeks, it is unreal
the advantage you have over the opposition, especially with wall hacks, esp,
anti flash, and aim bot 45-5 ish every map easy, it DOES however totally
ruin the game, just rush and try not to get hit, sound familiar on many
servers?

While im here, has any one noticed that on many of the servers the buy time
has been removed but auto buy is disabled??

: v
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:54:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

In article <JbudnQXyQ_IB017cRVn-uw@comcast.com>, fake@email.com says...
> Me again (I started this thread). I was playing last night, now with
> 8-10 hours of experience at Counterstrike. Of course I'm getting totally
> pwned, with something like 1 kill versus 10 deaths. Then I have a run of
> good luck and get 3 kills in 2 battles. So naturally I get kicked and
> banned from the server as a cheater. LOL.

You just need to find servers that are managed by real admins and not
some punk-ass kids. In most of the servers run by adults, you know,
those people over 30, you can count of proper conduct most times. Look
for things like Admin Mod and HLGuard and something other than the Valve
Anti-Cheat to be running.

I've been playing for more than 4 years, since before CS was invented,
and have just found it's easier to find and bookmark good servers than
it is to try and get hackers kicked.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:10:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I got three servers that my little clan/server group has

we got a superhero,you start out with three super powers just when you join.
the ip is 216.32.67.146:27015

We also have a wc3, frozen throne server. it is only maybe a month old with
all kinds of custom maps. the ip is 216.32.67.149:27015

We also have a wc3: ultimate, it currently doesn't have custom maps, it also
has some high level players, but if you and a buddy play in for a couple
hours, you can gain mulitple levels in that time. also, I am going to go co
own this server in couple days and we are offering new players, level 7 xp.
you get seven skills to choose. for free. the ip is 216.32.67.148:27015


also, if you want, you can purchase admin and vote ban hackers for only 15
dollars a month and you get immunity from all other admins to mess with you.
!