UPDATE - Computer Temp

Well, I sprung for a new AMD Sempron 2800 and new GeForce 5500 8x and
brand new motherboard because my computer was shutting down all day and
my processor was overheating. I applied the silver on the processor and
when I hooked everything back up, my computer would not boot up. I
tested my harddrive, I tested my RAM (the only things from my other
motherboard) and they tested fine. I put my friends harddrive (that
works) into my system and it won't boot his harddrive either. Anyone
have a clue what's going on here?

I appreciate any help.

imagoog...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Well, I sprung for a new AMD Sempron 2800 and new GeForce 5500 8x and
> brand new motherboard because my computer was shutting down all day and
> my processor was overheating. I applied the silver on the processor and
> when I hooked everything back up, my computer would not boot up. I
> tested my harddrive, I tested my RAM (the only things from my other
> motherboard) and they tested fine. I put my friends harddrive (that
> works) into my system and it won't boot his harddrive either. Anyone
> have a clue what's going on here?
>
> I appreciate any help.

I should be clear... my old processor was overheating, not this new
one. I can't get anything to boot up.

imagoogler@yahoo.com wrote:
> Well, I sprung for a new AMD Sempron 2800 and new GeForce 5500 8x and
> brand new motherboard because my computer was shutting down all day and
> my processor was overheating. I applied the silver on the processor and
> when I hooked everything back up, my computer would not boot up. I
> tested my harddrive, I tested my RAM (the only things from my other
> motherboard) and they tested fine. I put my friends harddrive (that
> works) into my system and it won't boot his harddrive either. Anyone
> have a clue what's going on here?
>
> I appreciate any help.

And for those who haven't read my older posts, here's a recap.

Computer was shutting off randomly.

CPU was overheating.

I took the heatsink off. Apllied Artic Silver. Put Heatsink back on.

Computer wouldn't boot after that.

I buy the new motherboard, CPU and video card and it still won't boot.

I put my friends working harddrive and RAM in my system and still no
boot.

Thanks.

WindowsXP
AMD Sempron 2800
Geforce 5500
512 RAM.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:51:17 -0700, imagoogler wrote:

> Computer was shutting off randomly.
>
> CPU was overheating.
>
> I took the heatsink off. Apllied Artic Silver. Put Heatsink back on.
>
> Computer wouldn't boot after that.
>
> I buy the new motherboard, CPU and video card and it still won't boot.
>
> I put my friends working harddrive and RAM in my system and still no
> boot.

So what's left? PSU and what else?

OK, take the MB out of the case and lay it on top of a box or whatever is
non conductive. Insert ram and video card only into it. Hook up monitor.
Hook up PSU connector(s). Now short the power pins on the mb and see if it
boots. If it does, put it back into case and repeat this process, adding a
component betwen boots until it all works. I'd start with the keyboard
first.:)

If it doesn't boot outside the case, I'd say you have a bad PSU
considering everything else worked in different machine.

> WindowsXP
> AMD Sempron 2800
> Geforce 5500
> 512 RAM.

I assume by booting you mean you get nothing. No lights, no screens,
no fans, nothing, and not that the OS doesn't boot.

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:51:17 -0700, imagoogler wrote:
>
> > Computer was shutting off randomly.
> >
> > CPU was overheating.
> >
> > I took the heatsink off. Apllied Artic Silver. Put Heatsink back on.
> >
> > Computer wouldn't boot after that.
> >
> > I buy the new motherboard, CPU and video card and it still won't boot.
> >
> > I put my friends working harddrive and RAM in my system and still no
> > boot.
> >
> So what's left? PSU and what else?
>
> OK, take the MB out of the case and lay it on top of a box or whatever is
> non conductive. Insert ram and video card only into it. Hook up monitor.
> Hook up PSU connector(s). Now short the power pins on the mb and see if it
> boots. If it does, put it back into case and repeat this process, adding a
> component betwen boots until it all works. I'd start with the keyboard
> first.:)
>
> If it doesn't boot outside the case, I'd say you have a bad PSU
> considering everything else worked in different machine.
>
> > WindowsXP
> > AMD Sempron 2800
> > Geforce 5500
> > 512 RAM.
>
> I assume by booting you mean you get nothing. No lights, no screens,
> no fans, nothing, and not that the OS doesn't boot.

I knew I'd forget something important. The fans and CDROMS come on (and
very glitchy [the cdroms/dvdroms] - I might add. Lights keep coming on
-blinking- then turning off - then turning back on- blinking - then
turn off). Nothing else. No beep. No harddrive shuffling. No image on
monitor.

--Phil

imagoogler@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > WindowsXP
> > > AMD Sempron 2800
> > > Geforce 5500
> > > 512 RAM.
> >
> > I assume by booting you mean you get nothing. No lights, no screens,
> > no fans, nothing, and not that the OS doesn't boot.
> >

> I knew I'd forget something important. The fans and CDROMS come on (and
> very glitchy [the cdroms/dvdroms] - I might add. Lights keep coming on
> -blinking- then turning off - then turning back on- blinking - then
> turn off). Nothing else. No beep. No harddrive shuffling. No image on
> monitor.
>
> --Phil

Anyone have suggestions for a PS for my system? Minimum requirements?
Good price? Or does it matter - One PSU fits all?

Thanks.

--Phil

On 11 Aug 2005 21:14:13 -0700, imagoogler@yahoo.com wrote:

>> > I assume by booting you mean you get nothing. No lights, no screens,
>> > no fans, nothing, and not that the OS doesn't boot.
>> >

>> I knew I'd forget something important. The fans and CDROMS come on (and
>> very glitchy [the cdroms/dvdroms] - I might add. Lights keep coming on
>> -blinking- then turning off - then turning back on- blinking - then
>> turn off). Nothing else. No beep. No harddrive shuffling. No image on
>> monitor.
>>
>> --Phil
>
>Anyone have suggestions for a PS for my system? Minimum requirements?
>Good price? Or does it matter - One PSU fits all?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--Phil

Nexus 400W Real Silent, and it is silent as well

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NEX-PSUS40#lblR

Only Novatech have put their prices up. I paid £51 for mine last
month - there's inflation for you!
--
John Perry

http://www.redoak.co.uk