Disk Drive Assignment Problem

My configuration is as follows:
EIDE Drive 0 - Master with XP Pro
EIDE Drive 1 - Slave Win 2000 Pro

I recently encoutered the following problem:
When attempting to transfer Drive 0 to a new Drive 1 using
a manufacturers software (Maxtor) my Drive 0 running XP
crashed in the middle of the transfer. Since this happened
my Drive 0 would hang during the boot process with the
screen displaying a light blue background with the XP
logo. I have tried everything to recover the original boot
configuration without success. I replaced the new Drive 1
with the original Drive 1 with Win2000 Pro, then ran the
XP installation and selected Repair ( replacing or
updating only files that are missing or corrupted).
Everything went well, but now my Drive 0 with XP has a
drive letter assigned as "D" permanently (as seen via My
Computer) and is seen as Drive "C" under DOS. I have tried
removing drive 1 leaving only Drive 0 and restarted the XP
installation selecting Repair (replacing or updating only
files that are missing or corrupted). I thought this would
correct the problem, but I was wrong. Even with only Drive
0 installed the drive letter is still showing Drive D
inside of My Computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this
problem?

Thank you

kawipoo

If you have partition magic 8 you can change the drive letter from D to C.
Have you also tried doing a boot repair using the XP disk or looking at the
boot.ini table to see if you can change the d to a c their?