CD-ROM does not read disks in Windows

Hello out there - My CD-ROM does not read disks in
Windows. I ran a diagnostics test and the drive passed
everything. I have uninstalled then reinstalled it.
When I click properties it says it is working properly.
I ran a full system scan with updated antivirus. If
anyone can help I'll be their friend forever!!
14 answers Last reply
More about read disks windows

    "whiskeyjack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello out there - My CD-ROM does not read disks in
    > Windows. I ran a diagnostics test and the drive passed
    > everything. I have uninstalled then reinstalled it.
    > When I click properties it says it is working properly.
    > I ran a full system scan with updated antivirus. If
    > anyone can help I'll be their friend forever!!

    Does your CD drive read CDs while in DOS? Boot
    your PC with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    This test will tell you if the problem lies with Windows
    or with your CD drive.

    Yes, it does read in DOS. I booted my PC from the CD-ROM
    and ran the 32 bit Dell Diagnostics. The drive passed
    all tests. What could be wrong with Windows?

    wrote in message
    >> Hello out there - My CD-ROM does not read disks in
    >> Windows. I ran a diagnostics test and the drive passed
    >> everything. I have uninstalled then reinstalled it.
    >> When I click properties it says it is working properly.
    >> I ran a full system scan with updated antivirus. If
    >> anyone can help I'll be their friend forever!!
    >
    >Does your CD drive read CDs while in DOS? Boot
    >your PC with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    >This test will tell you if the problem lies with Windows
    >or with your CD drive.
    >

    >.

    You now need to be more specific:
    - Is Windows unable to read any CD, or just some CDs?
    - Have you tried original CDs (rather than copied CDs)?
    - Can you play music CDs?
    - What exactly is the message you get when you try to
    copy a certain file from the CD to the hard disk?
    - When you boot with your Win98 boot disk, can you
    copy that same file to floppy disk?

    At this stage it is useful to keep your options wide
    open rather than to automatically blame Windows for
    your problem.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > You now need to be more specific:
    > - Is Windows unable to read any CD, or just some CDs?
    > - Have you tried original CDs (rather than copied CDs)?
    > - Can you play music CDs?
    > - What exactly is the message you get when you try to
    > copy a certain file from the CD to the hard disk?
    > - When you boot with your Win98 boot disk, can you
    > copy that same file to floppy disk?
    >
    > At this stage it is useful to keep your options wide
    > open rather than to automatically blame Windows for
    > your problem.

    Fair enough - though if you look at the sheer volume of posts in this
    newsgroup re CD/DVD drive problems, it does suggest that they screwed up
    BIG time WRT such drives in XP. Indeed, when I finally got XP to recognised
    a new drive I installed, it then totally refused to recognise ANY discs in
    the drive at all. In the end, I removed the drive. And yes, installed into a
    W98 machine, it worked first time, and every time.

    JP

    "Jeremy Poynton" <j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > You now need to be more specific:
    > > - Is Windows unable to read any CD, or just some CDs?
    > > - Have you tried original CDs (rather than copied CDs)?
    > > - Can you play music CDs?
    > > - What exactly is the message you get when you try to
    > > copy a certain file from the CD to the hard disk?
    > > - When you boot with your Win98 boot disk, can you
    > > copy that same file to floppy disk?
    > >
    > > At this stage it is useful to keep your options wide
    > > open rather than to automatically blame Windows for
    > > your problem.
    >
    > Fair enough - though if you look at the sheer volume of posts in this
    > newsgroup re CD/DVD drive problems, it does suggest that they screwed up
    > BIG time WRT such drives in XP. Indeed, when I finally got XP to
    recognised
    > a new drive I installed, it then totally refused to recognise ANY discs in
    > the drive at all. In the end, I removed the drive. And yes, installed into
    > W98 machine, it worked first time, and every time.
    >
    > JP

    I'm afraid we can't help you any further until you are
    prepared to carry out the tests I suggested before.
    I said, amongst other things, to boot your PC with a
    Win98 disk, and to copy a file from CD to floppy disk.
    Instead you installed the CD drive in a Win98 PC
    and tested it there. By doing so, you changed all
    the parameters: motherboard, disk controller,
    BIOS settings, ribbon cable. Your test reveals
    nothing other than your CD drive working fine when
    installed in a different PC.

    Over to you!

    > "Jeremy Poynton" <j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > > You now need to be more specific:
    > > > - Is Windows unable to read any CD, or just some CDs?
    > > > - Have you tried original CDs (rather than copied CDs)?
    > > > - Can you play music CDs?
    > > > - What exactly is the message you get when you try to
    > > > copy a certain file from the CD to the hard disk?
    > > > - When you boot with your Win98 boot disk, can you
    > > > copy that same file to floppy disk?
    > > >
    > > > At this stage it is useful to keep your options wide
    > > > open rather than to automatically blame Windows for
    > > > your problem.
    > >
    > > Fair enough - though if you look at the sheer volume of posts in this
    > > newsgroup re CD/DVD drive problems, it does suggest that they screwed
    up
    > > BIG time WRT such drives in XP. Indeed, when I finally got XP to
    > recognised
    > > a new drive I installed, it then totally refused to recognise ANY discs
    in
    > > the drive at all. In the end, I removed the drive. And yes, installed
    into
    > > W98 machine, it worked first time, and every time.
    > >
    > > JP
    >
    > I'm afraid we can't help you any further until you are
    > prepared to carry out the tests I suggested before.
    > I said, amongst other things, to boot your PC with a
    > Win98 disk, and to copy a file from CD to floppy disk.
    > Instead you installed the CD drive in a Win98 PC
    > and tested it there. By doing so, you changed all
    > the parameters: motherboard, disk controller,
    > BIOS settings, ribbon cable. Your test reveals
    > nothing other than your CD drive working fine when
    > installed in a different PC.
    >
    > Over to you!

    Umm - wrong respondent; I was merely adding some thoughts on the original
    poster's problem, and generalising somewhat in noting that the volume of
    CD/DVD drive problems posted in this newsgroup suggests some deep down
    problems in how they are handled in XP. Do you see the same in the 98/2K
    newsgroups ? No ? Why ? Probably because MS did it right there. They sure
    didn't in XP, or why else are there so many problems with them posted here ?

    JP

    Guys, my Dell came with a resource cd. I used it to
    reboot my pc from the cd-rom (in Windows 98) and run the
    32 bit Dell Diagnostics. The drive passed all tests.
    Based on that alone wouldn't the problem be in Windows?
    Thanks for your input.

    This is happening to my CD as well. It stopped working in
    the last week or so. Making me crazy. Have tried
    everything, except to reformat my drive. Fortunately md
    CD-RW is working. I'll go balistic if it fails two.

    I didn't try to read from DOS ... will try that when I'm
    home. I suspect it's the generic driver or something. It
    was working fine. It opens, closes ... starts to "appear"
    to read the drive but it doesn't. I tried a disk
    clearner ... to no avail.

    I posted my own topic on this, but there are no responses,
    but lots of similar postings.

    I hope MS reads these numerous postings on the CD issue.
    I wrote to the manufacturer of my CD, but haven't heard
    anything back.
    Diana

    It's odd your problem began a week or so ago as well. I
    have spent much time troubleshooting and communicating
    with online techs. I think I've been given all the
    advice there is to give on the subject. Some I used and
    some I felt was too drastic. What it came down to was
    that I believed there was nothing wrong with the drive
    itself. Shortly after my last post I tried using it and
    it worked, it read. After I got home from school I tried
    again and - happy day - it's good to go. Also, the sound
    from my speakers has improved. It's like my pc had the
    flu and needed time to ride it out. I hope your problem
    rides it out as well.

    I'm intrigued that you spent "much time troubleshooting"
    (your words) but never took the time to do the basic tests
    I suggested. They would have taken you ten minutes,
    and would have told you plenty about the cause of your
    problem.

    I note that your problem "went away" by itself. If it did so
    on its own accord then there is a high probability that it
    will come back. Intermittent problems don't disappear;
    they usually return at the most inconvenient time.

    > It's odd your problem began a week or so ago as well. I
    > have spent much time troubleshooting and communicating
    > with online techs. I think I've been given all the
    > advice there is to give on the subject. Some I used and
    > some I felt was too drastic. What it came down to was
    > that I believed there was nothing wrong with the drive
    > itself. Shortly after my last post I tried using it and
    > it worked, it read. After I got home from school I tried
    > again and - happy day - it's good to go. Also, the sound
    > from my speakers has improved. It's like my pc had the
    > flu and needed time to ride it out. I hope your problem
    > rides it out as well.

    As I've said before I booted my pc from the cd-rom IN
    WINDOWS 98 using a resource cd. I ran a 32 bit
    diagnostics test and the DRIVE passed everything. That
    tells me the drive ain't the problem. This is why I
    disregarded your original suggestion.

    wrote in message
    >> It's odd your problem began a week or so ago as well.
    >> have spent much time troubleshooting and communicating
    >> with online techs. I think I've been given all the
    >> advice there is to give on the subject. Some I used
    and
    >> some I felt was too drastic. What it came down to was
    >> that I believed there was nothing wrong with the drive
    >> itself. Shortly after my last post I tried using it
    and
    >> it worked, it read. After I got home from school I
    tried
    >> again and - happy day - it's good to go. Also, the
    sound
    >> from my speakers has improved. It's like my pc had the
    >> flu and needed time to ride it out. I hope your
    problem
    >> rides it out as well.

    Same to me. I bought a new cd-rw Samsung 52-32-52 for replacing an old one,
    cd-rw 4-2-4. After that it doesn't read any cd. So I use another HD which
    intalled WindowsME. It's working well. Then I changed to WindowsXP again, it
    still doesn't work. I checked driver, jumper, pair and bios. Everything
    looks fine. What should I do?
    Chaiyot S.

    > As I've said before I booted my pc from the cd-rom IN
    > WINDOWS 98 using a resource cd. I ran a 32 bit
    > diagnostics test and the DRIVE passed everything. That
    > tells me the drive ain't the problem. This is why I
    > disregarded your original suggestion.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Holy Cow, what a name!! What nationality is that?
    Believe me, I wish I was in a position to tell you what
    you should do.

    wrote in message
    >> As I've said before I booted my pc from the cd-rom IN
    >> WINDOWS 98 using a resource cd. I ran a 32 bit
    >> diagnostics test and the DRIVE passed everything. That
    >> tells me the drive ain't the problem. This is why I
    >> disregarded your original suggestion.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Check the most recent post on CD problems in this NG.
    It recommends a registry hack.

Hardware CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP