Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NF7s v2.0: unstable in dual-channel w/three DIMMs

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 12:32:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory sticks
individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess I'll have
to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB PC3200.
Anyone else run across this problem?

--
there is no .sig
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 7:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run three
DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off to
1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now. Overclocking
sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was in the old days
(when you had a more limited choice of FSB's, multipliers, Vcore etc.).

--
there is no .sig
"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:IBOKe.619$SR5.149@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...
>I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
>the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
>Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
>w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory sticks
>individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess I'll have
>to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB PC3200.
>Anyone else run across this problem?
>
> --
> there is no .sig
>
August 12, 2005 7:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I thought you could run up to 2 GB at 400, but 3GB at 333. Both memory
channels need to have the same amount on total memory.
Try putting the 2*512 in slot 1&2 and the 1GB DIMM in slot 3

I had 3 DIMMs full with 1GB at 400. Maybe the two brands of memory aren't
compatible at that speed.

For future reference, set everything back to default, then test, before you
complain about something being unstable.


"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:E8VKe.169$k92.86@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run
> three DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
> issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off
> to 1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now.
> Overclocking sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was in
> the old days (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's, multipliers,
> Vcore etc.).
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:IBOKe.619$SR5.149@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...
>>I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
>>the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
>>Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
>>w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory
>>sticks individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess
>>I'll have to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB
>>PC3200. Anyone else run across this problem?
>>
>> --
>> there is no .sig
>>
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 9:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :

> I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
> two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
> Performance in the other.

i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
have you tried this?

also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
are really the same.

i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
with or without dual channel.
but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
released with "better memory support".

so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
when the product is "old".
--
http://www.pascaland.org/ compilateurs, sources et liens langage pascal, delphi
http://www.maitre-asimov.fr.st/ ma collection des oeuvres d'Isaac Asimov
http://www.ifrance.com/franck-pissotte/perso/avendre.ht... vide grenier: vieux matos, logiciels, livres, revues
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 9:39:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
a 2500 Barton.

I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
common settings?

Ak


On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:33:00 +0200, Franck Pissotte
<franck.pissotte@alussinan.org> wrote:

>Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :
>
>> I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
>> two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
>> Performance in the other.
>
>i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
>dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
>have you tried this?
>
>also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
>are really the same.
>
>i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
>with or without dual channel.
>but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
>released with "better memory support".
>
>so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
>when the product is "old".
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 11:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

There is a known problem w/some motherboards (incl. socket 754 and Nforce2
boards) that they cannot have more than one high density DIMM at 200Mhz
w/the stock BIOS. The Manta Ray BIOS solves this problem by changing the
CPC. The Manta Ray BIOS was the only way I could get my two 1GB DIMMs to
work in dual channel on my NF7s v2.0.

--
there is no .sig
"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
news:0anpf1pub5q3pcui8gslb7souqummk6053@4ax.com...
>I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
> I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
> but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
> any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
> a 2500 Barton.
>
> I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
> 1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
> parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
> common settings?
>
> Ak
>
>
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:33:00 +0200, Franck Pissotte
> <franck.pissotte@alussinan.org> wrote:
>
>>Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :
>>
>>> I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
>>> the
>>> two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
>>> Performance in the other.
>>
>>i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
>>dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
>>have you tried this?
>>
>>also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
>>are really the same.
>>
>>i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
>>with or without dual channel.
>>but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
>>released with "better memory support".
>>
>>so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
>>when the product is "old".
>
August 13, 2005 10:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
news:0anpf1pub5q3pcui8gslb7souqummk6053@4ax.com...
>I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
> I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
> but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
> any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
> a 2500 Barton.
>
> I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
> 1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
> parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
> common settings?
>
> Ak
>


There are 2 memory controllers DIMM 1 & 2 are 1 channel and DIMM 3 is the
other, that is probably why they are arranged the way they are on the mobo.
The manual also suggests you fill DIMM 3 first. If both memory channels have
the same amount of memory it *can* run at 400 Mhz (assuming memory supports
this of course). Your best chance is with identical RAM

Using different brands can be problematic in any board (just look at the
Asus compatibility charts), for example I have an Asus board with dual
channel memory but this trick won't work, the DIMMs need to be the same
size, but even then I have 4 sticks, 2 brands (2* 512 + 2*256) running at
400 MHz, but both brands don't appear on the compatibility chart, so YMMV as
they say.


Though if you are retarded enough to up the voltages, overclock, not read or
understand the manual, then bleat that things aren't working properly there
is no help for someone like that. :-)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2005 3:19:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I can confirm operation 2 x 256m + 1 x 512m running in dual channel mode
here for over a year on my NF7s v2.o board. Currently the ram is running at
the 2.7v setting in the bios which reports 2.72v. in PC Health.

The memory modules are matched up as far as manufacturer and cas
specifications, etc. as well as possible.

I'm running stock bios ver 27 issue free. I'm not overclocking the fsb but a
amd2500xp+ mobile processor running at 11.5 x 200 = 2300 (equivalent to a
amd 3000xp+) is good enough for me rock solid and cool.

FWIW I highly recommend the Mushkin lev II ram for these boards. With SPD
specs of 2,2,2,6 It ain't too shabby and the potential for overclocking is
right there at your fingertips In another machine a pair of mushkin 512m
sticks reside running pure sweetness. I could now buy a 1gb stick and fully
expect to have 2gb dc.

Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2005 3:33:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I want to apologize for my post w/the bad manners. I mis-read your post and
I can't take criticism. Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you.

--
there is no .sig
"abc" <a@b.c> wrote in message
news:42fc4c43$0$32246$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>I thought you could run up to 2 GB at 400, but 3GB at 333. Both memory
>channels need to have the same amount on total memory.
> Try putting the 2*512 in slot 1&2 and the 1GB DIMM in slot 3
>
> I had 3 DIMMs full with 1GB at 400. Maybe the two brands of memory aren't
> compatible at that speed.
>
> For future reference, set everything back to default, then test, before
> you complain about something being unstable.
>
>
> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:E8VKe.169$k92.86@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>> Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run
>> three DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
>> issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off
>> to 1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now.
>> Overclocking sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was
>> in the old days (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's,
>> multipliers, Vcore etc.).
>>
>> --
>> there is no .sig
>> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:IBOKe.619$SR5.149@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...
>>>I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
>>>the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
>>>Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both
>>>channels w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the
>>>memory sticks individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I
>>>guess I'll have to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick
>>>of 1GB PC3200. Anyone else run across this problem?
>>>
>>> --
>>> there is no .sig
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!