NF7s v2.0: unstable in dual-channel w/three DIMMs

I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory sticks
individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess I'll have
to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB PC3200.
Anyone else run across this problem?

--
there is no .sig
8 answers Last reply

    Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run three
    DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
    issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off to
    1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now. Overclocking
    sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was in the old days
    (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's, multipliers, Vcore etc.).

    --
    there is no .sig
    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
    >the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    >Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
    >w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory sticks
    >individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess I'll have
    >to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB PC3200.
    >Anyone else run across this problem?
    >
    > --
    > there is no .sig

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I thought you could run up to 2 GB at 400, but 3GB at 333. Both memory
    channels need to have the same amount on total memory.
    Try putting the 2*512 in slot 1&2 and the 1GB DIMM in slot 3

    I had 3 DIMMs full with 1GB at 400. Maybe the two brands of memory aren't
    compatible at that speed.

    For future reference, set everything back to default, then test, before you
    complain about something being unstable.

    > Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run
    > three DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
    > issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off
    > to 1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now.
    > Overclocking sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was in
    > the old days (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's, multipliers,
    > Vcore etc.).
    >
    > --
    > there is no .sig
    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
    >>the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    >>Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both channels
    >>w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the memory
    >>sticks individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess
    >>I'll have to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB
    >>PC3200. Anyone else run across this problem?
    >>
    >> --
    >> there is no .sig

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :

    > I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
    > two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    > Performance in the other.

    i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
    dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
    have you tried this?

    also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
    are really the same.

    i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
    with or without dual channel.
    but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
    released with "better memory support".

    so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
    when the product is "old".
    --
    http://www.pascaland.org/ compilateurs, sources et liens langage pascal, delphi
    http://www.maitre-asimov.fr.st/ ma collection des oeuvres d'Isaac Asimov

    I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
    I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
    but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
    any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
    a 2500 Barton.

    I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
    1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
    parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
    common settings?

    Ak

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:33:00 +0200, Franck Pissotte
    <franck.pissotte@alussinan.org> wrote:

    >Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :
    >
    >> I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e. the
    >> two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    >> Performance in the other.
    >
    >i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
    >dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
    >have you tried this?
    >
    >also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
    >are really the same.
    >
    >i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
    >with or without dual channel.
    >but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
    >released with "better memory support".
    >
    >so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
    >when the product is "old".
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    There is a known problem w/some motherboards (incl. socket 754 and Nforce2
    boards) that they cannot have more than one high density DIMM at 200Mhz
    w/the stock BIOS. The Manta Ray BIOS solves this problem by changing the
    CPC. The Manta Ray BIOS was the only way I could get my two 1GB DIMMs to
    work in dual channel on my NF7s v2.0.

    --
    there is no .sig
    "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
    >I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
    > I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
    > but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
    > any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
    > a 2500 Barton.
    >
    > I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
    > 1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
    > parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
    > common settings?
    >
    > Ak
    >

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:33:00 +0200, Franck Pissotte
    > <franck.pissotte@alussinan.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :
    >>
    >>> I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
    >>> the
    >>> two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    >>> Performance in the other.
    >>
    >>i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
    >>dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
    >>have you tried this?
    >>
    >>also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
    >>are really the same.
    >>
    >>i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
    >>with or without dual channel.
    >>but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
    >>released with "better memory support".
    >>
    >>so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
    >>when the product is "old".

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
    >I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
    > I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
    > but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
    > any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
    > a 2500 Barton.
    >
    > I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
    > 1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
    > parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
    > common settings?
    >
    > Ak

    There are 2 memory controllers DIMM 1 & 2 are 1 channel and DIMM 3 is the
    other, that is probably why they are arranged the way they are on the mobo.
    The manual also suggests you fill DIMM 3 first. If both memory channels have
    the same amount of memory it *can* run at 400 Mhz (assuming memory supports
    this of course). Your best chance is with identical RAM

    Using different brands can be problematic in any board (just look at the
    Asus compatibility charts), for example I have an Asus board with dual
    channel memory but this trick won't work, the DIMMs need to be the same
    size, but even then I have 4 sticks, 2 brands (2* 512 + 2*256) running at
    400 MHz, but both brands don't appear on the compatibility chart, so YMMV as
    they say.

    Though if you are retarded enough to up the voltages, overclock, not read or
    understand the manual, then bleat that things aren't working properly there
    is no help for someone like that. :-)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I can confirm operation 2 x 256m + 1 x 512m running in dual channel mode
    here for over a year on my NF7s v2.o board. Currently the ram is running at
    the 2.7v setting in the bios which reports 2.72v. in PC Health.

    The memory modules are matched up as far as manufacturer and cas
    specifications, etc. as well as possible.

    I'm running stock bios ver 27 issue free. I'm not overclocking the fsb but a
    amd2500xp+ mobile processor running at 11.5 x 200 = 2300 (equivalent to a
    amd 3000xp+) is good enough for me rock solid and cool.

    FWIW I highly recommend the Mushkin lev II ram for these boards. With SPD
    specs of 2,2,2,6 It ain't too shabby and the potential for overclocking is
    right there at your fingertips In another machine a pair of mushkin 512m
    sticks reside running pure sweetness. I could now buy a 1gb stick and fully
    expect to have 2gb dc.

    Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I want to apologize for my post w/the bad manners. I mis-read your post and
    I can't take criticism. Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you.

    --
    there is no .sig
    "abc" <a@b.c> wrote in message
    >I thought you could run up to 2 GB at 400, but 3GB at 333. Both memory
    >channels need to have the same amount on total memory.
    > Try putting the 2*512 in slot 1&2 and the 1GB DIMM in slot 3
    >
    > I had 3 DIMMs full with 1GB at 400. Maybe the two brands of memory aren't
    > compatible at that speed.
    >
    > For future reference, set everything back to default, then test, before
    > you complain about something being unstable.
    >

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run
    >> three DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
    >> issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off
    >> to 1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now.
    >> Overclocking sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was
    >> in the old days (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's,
    >> multipliers, Vcore etc.).
    >>
    >> --
    >> there is no .sig
    >> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have two 512MB sticks of PC3200 (kingston hyperx) in one channel (i.e.
    >>>the two slots closest together) and one 1 GB stick of Patriot Extreme
    >>>Performance in the other. Memtest gives random errors across both
    >>>channels w/this config regardless of memory bus speed. When I test the
    >>>memory sticks individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I
    >>>guess I'll have to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick
    >>>of 1GB PC3200. Anyone else run across this problem?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> there is no .sig

Dual Channel Motherboards